Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 04-09-2004, 10:26 PM

Say hello to your newest striper fanatic. Last summer I went to the locks in Boston Harbor where the charles river dumps into the harbor close to the Fleet Center. I saw lots of herring and stripers everywhere. The stripers were herding the herring towards the boat canals and attacking them violently. It was fun seeing, I myself didn't catch anything, but people next to me were casting out big herring imitations and catching them. I know I'm hooked for life now. I've been doing as much research as I can on fishing for stripers, although most of what I find relates to striper fishing south of here, NJ mostly.

What does it mean when they say 3rd, 2nd, and 1st wave when it comes to surf fishing? Are they terms for measuring distance from shore? I have fished from the shore here, but there are never any big waves. I live in East Boston, MA (let me know if you know what that is). I go to Winthrop in the summertime, the beaches there have pretty big waves at time. What length rod do you suggest for surf fishing? What kind of reel? I don't have too much money so nothing too expensive please. I also want to catch some herring, how do I keep them alive to fish elsewhere? About 2 blocks away from me is a beach, I forget what it's called, Constitution Beach maybe? From the beach you can get a good view of the airplanes landing and taking off from Logan Airport. I've heard people say they've caught nice stripers there at night. Anyone ever been there? I really wan to get out right now and do some fishing for anything that lives in saltwater. What can I catch right now and where? Thanks a lot.

Also, I bought some eels from a baitshop last year. They were green, I've also caught those eels in freshwater ponds and rivers. Wouldn't they die when placed in saltwater? Thanks.

Also, what lures do you suggest using for catching bass from shore? Lures such as plugs and spoons, not flies. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:26 PM

Say hello to your newest striper fanatic. Last summer I went to the locks in Boston Harbor where the charles river dumps into the harbor close to the Fleet Center. I saw lots of herring and stripers everywhere. The stripers were herding the herring towards the boat canals and attacking them violently. It was fun seeing, I myself didn't catch anything, but people next to me were casting out big herring imitations and catching them. I know I'm hooked for life now. I've been doing as much research as I can on fishing for stripers, although most of what I find relates to striper fishing south of here, NJ mostly.

What does it mean when they say 3rd, 2nd, and 1st wave when it comes to surf fishing? Are they terms for measuring distance from shore? I have fished from the shore here, but there are never any big waves. I live in East Boston, MA (let me know if you know what that is). I go to Winthrop in the summertime, the beaches there have pretty big waves at time. What length rod do you suggest for surf fishing? What kind of reel? I don't have too much money so nothing too expensive please. I also want to catch some herring, how do I keep them alive to fish elsewhere? About 2 blocks away from me is a beach, I forget what it's called, Constitution Beach maybe? From the beach you can get a good view of the airplanes landing and taking off from Logan Airport. I've heard people say they've caught nice stripers there at night. Anyone ever been there? I really wan to get out right now and do some fishing for anything that lives in saltwater. What can I catch right now and where? Thanks a lot.

Also, I bought some eels from a baitshop last year. They were green, I've also caught those eels in freshwater ponds and rivers. Wouldn't they die when placed in saltwater? Thanks.

Also, what lures do you suggest using for catching bass from shore? Lures such as plugs and spoons, not flies. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:02 AM

Yes Snakeman, it seems you are hooked. All the answers are right here, keep searching and you'll find what your looking for.

If I answered every question, it would take a couple weeks, then I'd have to kil ya

Try one or two questions at a time,
Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 PM
SS/Platinum

Snakeman, While I am no expert I do have the advantage of one year's experience. I think the first thing to address is tackle. You can get some awfully nice and expensive stuff but I would suggest starting inexpensive. I doubt that it will make a huge difference to begin with and if you get truly hooked you can always move up. I would suggest you set a budget.

If you are looking to spend under $100 for the rod and reel combined I would get last Sunday's Globe with the Sprorts Authority circulsr. It has a 25% discount coupon. Go to Sports Authority and look at the "combos". In would get a spinning reel (personal preference) and a 9' rod capable of throwing somewhere in the 1-5 oz range. Monofilament line- 17 to 20 pounds. With the coupon you may be able to egt set-up for $50-$70 and I think Sports Authority will throw in the line for free.

If your budget is closer to $150 I would get a decent reel (Penn 4500SS or 704Z are good). You can get a Tica 9' rod that is rated 1/2-3 oz for under $65. Ebay often has them and also check out Hicky's Tackle www.hickystackleshop.net.
As for lures I will leave that to the other more knowledgable members. Check through some of the past threads.