Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:24 PM

HEY DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT G-LOOMIS SURF RODS? I WAS RECENTLY AT FISHERMANS HEADQUARTERS LOOKING AT LAMIGLAS AND G-LOOMIS SURF RODS. ONE OF THE GUYS SAID THAT THE G-LOOMIS RDS HAVE VERY GOOD BLANKS ALMOST THE BEST THEIR IS. NOW FROM YOUR GUYS OPINION AND KNOWLEDGE ARE THESE G-LOOMIS SURF RODS QUALITY ROSDS OR ARE THEY CRAP. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTIOIN. IM TRYING TO EITHER BUY THE LAIGLAS SURF RODS OR G-LOOMIS BUT I WANT TO BET THE BEST ROD FOR MY MONEY.

THANKS AGAIN!
Dave Price
Tight Lines
Old 12-03-2004, 02:24 PM

HEY DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT G-LOOMIS SURF RODS? I WAS RECENTLY AT FISHERMANS HEADQUARTERS LOOKING AT LAMIGLAS AND G-LOOMIS SURF RODS. ONE OF THE GUYS SAID THAT THE G-LOOMIS RDS HAVE VERY GOOD BLANKS ALMOST THE BEST THEIR IS. NOW FROM YOUR GUYS OPINION AND KNOWLEDGE ARE THESE G-LOOMIS SURF RODS QUALITY ROSDS OR ARE THEY CRAP. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTIOIN. IM TRYING TO EITHER BUY THE LAIGLAS SURF RODS OR G-LOOMIS BUT I WANT TO BET THE BEST ROD FOR MY MONEY.

THANKS AGAIN!
Dave Price
Tight Lines
Old 12-03-2004, 02:44 PM
SS/Insider

I have two Loomis surf rods a 9' and a 10'6".
I wouldn't trade either for any other rod. I
loaded each one with a Shimano Stella reel. I
spent some cash but it was worth it.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
SS/Veteran

both are nice rods and excellent quality.

what type of fishing, pluggin of bait? and what reel?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM

I have 3 Loomis spinning rods for the surf and 1 Loomis fly rod that are about 10-13 years old and I love them...awesome feel, light, etc.

I don't know if they have changed since they are not owned by G.Loomis any longer, but I would think they are still very good rods.

I have a Lamiglass conventional which I use mostly for bait fishing in the surf and love it as well.

Taken care of they should last forever.

If you want to spend the money they are two of the best brands you could buy in my opinion..!!

Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 PM
spence

DAVE, STOP YELLING

Loomis makes an excellent rod. They are no better/worse than Lamiglas, although Lami is more more common in the surf just because they have the history and the name.

Chances are you'd be happy either way. If you can provide specifics on how/where you want to fish perhaps a person local to that area can provide more information.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:57 AM

Hello all, I just bought a G Loomis 9' SUR1084S and plan on getting a VS to go with it. I was wondering what size VS you would recommend to go with this rod. It will be used for throwing plugs and slinging eels from the beach and jetty.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:05 AM

hey faulker, i can't help w/ the vs,but i do love my loomis sticks. do they stock whitmans pond w/ trout?
Old 12-04-2004, 10:15 AM

Yes they do. Haven't been over there in while though.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:38 AM

been driving to plymouth but would rather drive to weymouth. just killing time until my friends w/ the stripes come back
Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 AM
spence

quote:
Originally posted by Faulker:
Hello all, I just bought a G Loomis 9' SUR1084S and plan on getting a VS to go with it. I was wondering what size VS you would recommend to go with this rod. It will be used for throwing plugs and slinging eels from the beach and jetty.

I'd get a 200. If I remember correctly that rod has some decent backbone.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:09 PM

Both the VS 200 and 150 will work on a Loomis 1084S. Try both on for size at the shop and see which feels better on the rod.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:07 PM
striper1010

I have 2 loomis fly rods and love em. However, I cant get the feel of the coatings on the reel seat for the surf series. Some guys say they are good especially when wet, but they feel uncomfortable when you hold them.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:04 PM

I own two and although I wont go as far as to say their a better quality than the Lami , I am completely thrilled with mine. One thing noone has mentioned and I think is worth taking into consideration is , If you break a Loomis through your own fault , $50 put a new one in your hand. A slip on a jetty is all it takes , dont ask me how I know.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 PM

I have both loomis and lamiglas rods, and like the loomis better. I seem to get more distance with my casts and the rods are more sensitive. Customer service is also excellent. For $50 and no questions asked, they'll get a new rod to you. Either way, though, I think you'll be happy with either make.