Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Default EEZ Closed to Striped Bass Fishing

This is very good news!

OFFSHORE MARINE WATERS TO REMAIN CLOSED TO STRIPED BASS FISHING

After carefully examining a proposal to re-open offshore marine waters in the Atlantic Ocean for striped bass fishing, NOAA has announced it will maintain the 1990 federal closure. NOAA closed marine areas between three and 200 miles offshore to recreational and commercial striped bass fisheries to complement a rebuilding plan instituted in 1981 by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. The rebuilding plan, supported by the federal closure, was successful and scientists declared striped bass populations fully rebuilt in 1995. In April 2003, the Commission asked NOAA to evaluate available scientific information to determine if the federal ban should be lifted.

After a 2005 stock assessment confirmed that the species is at a sustainable population size and not being over-harvested, NOAA issued an options paper in April 2006 outlining potential management strategies to allow striped bass fishing to resume in offshore waters. These strategies included a range of options, from re-opening the fisheries with minimum size and catch limits, to maintaining the federal ban.

NOAA’s proposal did not call for an increase in the annual catch quota for striped bass, established by the Commission to maintain the population size. Even though the annual cap on catches would have remained the same, regardless of whether the fish were caught in
nearshore or offshore waters, the majority of those who commented believed that re-opening offshore fisheries would result in higher catches.

NOAA based the decision on a review of trends in the fishery and the species’ population. The data show that there has been an increase in fishing mortality of striped bass and a decrease in female spawners since the Commission requested a reevaluation of the federal ban. Although the stock as a whole is not being over-harvested, any increased fishing pressure would likely result in over fishing before NOAA and the Commission could respond with a new regulation. Since these issues would undermine the long-term conservation of Atlantic striped bass, the agency has determined that offshore waters should remain closed at this time.

“The recovery of the striped bass stock is one of the most important fishery success stories of our time, but it was a team effort,” said Dr. Bill Hogarth, NOAA Fisheries Service Director. “The Atlantic coastal states, Federal partners and the fishing community shared in the rebuilding
process and now in maintaining a healthy, viable fishery. NOAA will continue to work with the Atlantic coastal states and user groups to reverse the current fishing mortality and female spawning stock trends. “

NOAA: http://www.noaa.gov
NOAA Fisheries: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov

Old 09-12-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: EEZ Closed to Striped Bass Fishing

VERY good news!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Rat could you please explain why you feel that this is VERY good news ???
Old 09-13-2006, 05:50 PM
SS/Veteran

This is a prime example of the system failing. Hogarth will be out next year. Maybe the new director won't allow his or her office to be controlled by higher ups or have a price tag on it.

SHAME SHAME SHAME on you BILL
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
SS/Veteran

PS now that you screwed this up find the $$$$$$ to enforce it. Maybe you can load me up with Observers again and they can report something ! Like how many are fishing Illegally ?????
Old 09-14-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Picker
Rat could you please explain why you feel that this is VERY good news ???

There will be plenty of fish for Raggy to catch for years to come Picker Ole Buddie.

Please call the game warden if you see those Sports out past the line next time. We dont need no stinkin poachers giving us a bad rap!!

I'll be the first to post the violation report.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Come on Rat Tell me why is it a good thing ???? As a matter of fact , can ANYBODY tell me why is it a good thing ?????
Old 09-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Picker
Come on Rat Tell me why is it a good thing ???? As a matter of fact , can ANYBODY tell me why is it a good thing ?????

I gave you 1 good reason already but if you insist here is another

Less Dead Fish = More Live Fish
Old 09-14-2006, 04:31 PM
SS/Veteran

No you gave a pitiful attemp of trying to be funny by belittling somebody.

What the reason ????
Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 PM

I said:

#1 - There will be plenty of fish for Raggy to catch for years to come Picker Ole Buddie.

#2 - Less Dead Fish = More Live Fish

I'm sorry you think the thought of Rag's catching fish is belittleing him so I will reprase #1

Plenty more fish to catch in NJ for years to come.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Your reason is a misnomer that you have been lead to believe by greedy self righteous groups { right JIM }

The truth of the matter is that the system was manipulated by special interest groups trying to keep there membership. The system NMFS Bill Hogarth has failed. Whether he was bullied into this from above or if he was swayed by some other means $.

For the third year in a row ASFMC has asked NMFS BH to open the EEZ so far Bill has come up with some lame *** reason not to. By BH ignoring ASMFC he is also ignoring the Law and Congress.

So am I pissed that I'm not allowed to catch striped bass in NJ No that is a way of life for us. It's wrong but that is how it is. Am I pissed that the system failed SMOKING HOT , I have said it before and I will say it again and again " this is no way to run a railroad.

Rat and All Others: I understand that fishing is relaxation but for some of us it is far far more then something that we can stand in the garage for the winter. This is what we do Yes we chose to do it and at any time we could get out. But in the same respect the system was made so we could do this for a long time provided that we played by the rules. It really sucks when the guy that is supposed to make the laws blatantly breaks the laws.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Fishpicker,
I'm a bit confused here. Checked the links Bob put up, and couldn't find the story, said it was moved or deleted... Hogarth is with NMFS right? Is that a federal agency? I know NOAA is. Where does ASMFC fit in the picture? If they are all federal agancies, how can one thumb their noses at the others? Am I missing something here?
Sorry, but I agree keeping the EEZ closed is a good idea.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:41 PM

Picker Ole Buddie I have to agree with my NEW FRIEND Rags on this one.

I cant make heads or tails out of your argument???

Your post is nothing more than personal opinion & smoke & mirrors biddie. How about spelling it out in plain english for us witless dummies (me not Rags).
Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I'm not a witless dummie,just someone who doesn't understand the whole thing. And dont call me your new friend either
Nothing wrong with personal opinion, everyone has one. But it's good to have someone who is involved in this stuff that you can ask about it.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry men I though you were up to speed with this issue. This is clearly a big problem. No offense but this is one area that not many fully understand I strongly feel that ALL Both REC'S and COMM'S fully understand how the system works before they catch fish one.

This will be a fast track in la mens terms

ASMFC Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission which is made up by Rep's from each state along the coast FLA to Maine including PA Because of tidal flow. There are different Tech committees , Different Adviser Panels for each different species. There are both Rep's from each sector a Governors appointee and a Eviro seat for each committee. The tech committees are mostly scientist who mostly cram all of the facts and figures.

To learn more either ask or go to www.asmfc.com