Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Media reports and technology, what methods do you use and trust?

First off....I am not going to call out anyone, post any names or bad mouth anyone, but I was wondering what everyone feels about how media and technology impacts fishing. Please keep the topic on point and make intelligent comments. It should be an informative topic that will help everyone.

Before I post this...I don't have any affiliation with any boats or media channels, don't make any money on fishing and I fish for the pure fun of the sport.

I read publications often and I see what is posted in a variety of media methods. I do spend some time on the water and have been fishing for a while. I am not saying who, what, where, why or how, but I have been reading reports lately and they seem bogus. I see reports of certain boats doing "real well" or posts of "the best day we had this season so far." I have been out there and fished next to boats on these "proclaimed" days and I must say, I often see a lot of exaggeration published. This is what prompted me to start this thread. I would like to see what people gather from different media sources when they plan a fishing trip.

Before anyone bad mouths me, these are my opinions only! I am just stating what I feel from my time on the water and experience. I am just trying to see what kind of opinions people have. DO NOT NAME ANYONE OR ANY SPECIFIC BUSINESS! I am not looking to start any type of huge argument. I would simply like to know what type of media you put most faith in when you read fish reports and what helps you catch more fish! I am just trying to see what everyone feels is the most knowledeable media source when it comes to fishing. What media types do you use to aid in landing more fish?

Do you trust internet reports, word of mouth, satellite weather maps, newspaper publications, email letters, online beach cameras, buoy reports, weekly fishing publications, magazines, or new fangle methods such as text message or 800 numbers.

Again, DO NOT name any specific publications, private companies or people. Please use this as an informative post to help you catch more fish and give knowledge back to the fishing community on how you improved your fishing techniques through technology.

I will chime in soon but this will start a good topic and hopefully some intellectual conversation among the knowledagable members here on Stripersurf.com

Spoon
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Media reports and technology, what methods do you use and trust?

I generalize reports that are posted about this area.
If fishing is good there all good reports, if it's bad there all bad. Out of 5 or 6 different sources it doesn't take long to figure out which is BS.

Internet and word of mouth is where I find my info.

Good post Spoon

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I take what info I get either on line or in the paper/magazines, and use it for general trends. What gamefish are around, bait fish observed etc. I DONT care about blitz reports from any source, becuase most times when you get there, it's over. Though it is comical sometime watching people fly up and down the beach when a B&T reports one "Happening right now at XYZ!! Get out there!!!" Gee, I have been fishing XYZ for the past 3 hours, and nothing is going on... I'll take personal observation and word of mouth from a select few people over any kind of media reports, any day...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Great topic!

I tend to be somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to hearsay. Newspaper columnists, tackle shops, boat reports and the like I believe have their own agendas. They are more for my entertainment than for informational purposes.

I believe and rely on very little of what I hear and read when it comes to fishing reports in print. A report to me at best is old news and like I said, entertainment.

These message boards are where I derive most of my useful information. Not from everything posted but from a few good sources I have met and fished with that I have met online as well as others whom I trust. Sometimes I get info in private and I always keep that info private. I tend to keep my posting very general if I post about my fishing results.

I do find the satellite weather and buoy info reliable and helpful.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Worked on party boats and tackle shops if the fishing is good of course all the reports are right if not YES they are exagerated even outright lies but it is the nature of the buisness cause the boats shops papers and most not all magazines are also tied into the enormous income they make from fishing and the reports are the spark that ignites the fire

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm going fishing no matter what, and have put the time in to have some historical reference for my spots. I have been afflicted by the "day late dollar short" syndrome since I started in the salt, so reports give me an idea of fish activity, but I don't let them affect my outlook because I know inevitably 1 out of 3 trips I won't be fighting the elements to hook up. The other two trips I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm gonna' have to break my b@!!$ to catch. This is what happens when you live 3hrs from your haunts.

I believe the weigh ins from Grumpy's, as they capture images of every weigh in, and have proven themselves to me, to be more than honest, in every regard.

I also believe reports from certain regulars to these message boards here, as well my network of angling friends I've established through this site.

While I don't believe other sites or reporters to be dishonest, I often believe some reports are exagerated. There's no harm there if people could keep their angst in check, but this aint a perfect world and we've all seen what happens when a blitz report goes out and in reality only a few people hit a handful of blues.

Some reports by nature of the reporter, actually help me to decide where NOT to fish, because the world of striper anglers is being called in. Furthermore, reports are often directed towards daylight fair weather anglers, as the hard core anglers are usually night time anglers, and are tight lipped as to where the fish are, and what's being caught, not to mention that the fishes' behavior often changes from the daylight contrasted to the dark.

There's alot of reports from various sources that I don't read because it's fate's way of taunting me!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Last year I tried a lot of different things. I did poorly. Although I did manage 2 fish in the 40 inch class range, overall I did poorly.
I read reports and followed them ect. Always a day late or a day early.
This year, Before the season started, I vowed to follow everything I have learned in the past and do what has worked for me. Times, tides, weather, bait, ect. It has all worked for me. I have not been skunked once this year and I have landed a bunch of keepers and lost (yeah, it sucks and there is no excuse) two big fish in the 40 inch class range. I tried way to hard last year, and went way to much. I didn't read the weather and I didn't care about the tides. I just went to go because the reports said they were getting them. This year, I went twice in April (caught 3 keepers, lots of shorts and lost a very large fish at the bank.) 4 Times in May (lots of shorts and blues and lost another very large bass in the waves). From now on, I watch the weather and read the tides. Use my time wisely.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

For me living a bit away, when I plan a trip, it happens, (unless I break down 1 am in the morning in Mahwah) reports or not.
I do like to see reports online, here, I do trust many here but, I also know that things change by the second.
But, in general, its nice to see whats happening for others.
One thing that turns my stomach is reports from bait shops, esp. when I just came form and area being reported on, and its not really happening. I see this as reporting just to sell.
So yes, I do find reports valuable.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
SS/Insider, Team SS

Written reports to me are just a general idea of what DID happen and may or may not be happening when I can get there. I basically fish the same area so area/spot reports don’t mean anything to me.

I will consider information as to what is/was working as far a bait or lure. However I am not stopping at a B&T to get every lure that is mentioned (well maybe not).

As for written Blitz reports they mean nothing. A flock of birds in close now that might get my attention.

Then there is weather reports I don’t pay them too much attention. The only time I pay attention is with an upcoming major event (storm), and then I verify with my personal source (saved my butt several times when traveling).

As for B&T reports they are only as acurate as the information from fellow fisherman. And we know the stories about that BIG one that got away. Hey, I am at A7 and we are catching ... (and the guy is in Ortly).

Fish when I can.

and Family 04,05,06,07,08
Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 PM

I check out a few online sites that I've found to be reliable over my brief fishing career. I have to admit that when all seem to indicate a lot of activity over more than a "bltzes" time frame I'll spur of the moment decide to head out if timing allows. Keep in mind that I leave work early afternoons and live within range to be aired down and baited up or plugging within 30 minutes (18 is the record). I'm fairly confident in the reporting of the sites I monitor because I've actually fished with or near one "reporter" more than once, been involved in action reported on another and just can't imagine the other being outright dishonest to sell a few clams.
The more I think it over I think I actually wake up every day wanting to go fishing and just use any excuse to wet a line. Negative reports certianly don't keep me home unless I feel that they jibe with the conditions. I just enjoy being out there even more so now that my boys are old enough to spend a little more time with me at the beach.
As for printed reports...something to read on the crapper. I'm strictly a beach guy and find that they tend to favor the boats...old info to boot.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
SS/Veteran

I use reports from the various sources such as B&T, striper sites, newspapers, etc. to give me a general idea of what's been happening. They help give me a set of parameters to work with - specific spots where they were caught mean nothing to me because it's here today, gone tomorrow. A good smart angler will take these reports, unless received first-hand from the person doing the fishing, with a grain of salt but still recognizes them as a starting point.

I have a network of trusted fishers I rely on to give me the important details such as bait, tide/wind conditions, and location. I, of course, reciprocate after every time I fished. Years of experience also tell me where to go based on season, tide and wind to fish at first light, dusk or night; I rarely go in the middle of the day unless someone tells me of hours-long blitz or I'm out on a boat.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperNut View Post
I use reports from the various sources such as B&T, striper sites, newspapers, etc. to give me a general idea of what's been happening. They help give me a set of parameters to work with - specific spots where they were caught mean nothing to me because it's here today, gone tomorrow. A good smart angler will take these reports, unless received first-hand from the person doing the fishing, with a grain of salt but still recognizes them as a starting point.

I have a network of trusted fishers I rely on to give me the important details such as bait, tide/wind conditions, and location. I, of course, reciprocate after every time I fished. Years of experience also tell me where to go based on season, tide and wind to fish at first light, dusk or night; I rarely go in the middle of the day unless someone tells me of hours-long blitz or I'm out on a boat.
First off, thanks for the SS members for keeping this a clean and informative post! Kudos to that! This is the reason why I frequent this forum and shun some others. True fisherman can all appreciate well thought out responses and tips. If you have the attitude that you can learn more about our sport, you will become a better fisherman! That is what this forum is all about. Remember, the more you learn about fishing, the more you realize what you DON'T know! This is a sport for life and you are NOT a master!

VERY well said StriperNut! This is a summation of of how I gather info. The goal I have is to put "pieces of the puzzle" together along with knowledge that I have learned. My goal with this post was to try and get fisherman to do some research and utilize all the resources available to them. I try to use a combination of experience, intimate group knowledge from my friends, local weather conditions I gather from web cams and online buoy reports and a little bit of luck! Yes I hope for our brethren to catch more fish, but in the same sentence I know that these members will give back to the sport.

Just to note, as an add on to this post, we nailed four bass last night. All fished were released. It's fun to catch, but remember to give back.

My goal is to put all pieces of the puzzle together. I hope to lead some fisherman in the right direction and in turn, they will give back to our sport.

Spoon
Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 AM
SS/Veteran

I dont really like to read reports from commercial entities as they have a vested interest in getting you out there, near them. I am in no way saying they are not being truthful, just that if I have read between the lines I would rather not get involved.

I do trust 3 boards and alot of the members therein. Spoon, you are right about this site. There are ups and downs to any board, but this one has the 'attitude' that I like the most.

When I am getting ready to go out, I have a 'puzzle' to solve like you do. I enjoy that as part of the game. As soon as I figure out where I think I should be, I give a call to my friends and they either confirm or deny. Alot of times I will go no matter what they say or not even call.

Great topic.