Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM

Default Winter Flounder Report

Dennis and I hit opening day for winter flounder Monday....it was cold, windy, generally snotty. It started as a nice light wind, we got out to our spot in Shark River, not far from the ramp, anchored up, chum pots in the water, I had a keeper in short time and other boats were landing fish in the surrounding area...then the wind picked up and everything basically shut down. After resetting the anchor for the 5th time (Dennis lost his anchor from a momentary lapse in concentration, forgot to tie it down after throwing it out), I was getting real frustrated with the fishing conditions. We were getting our a$$'s kicked and it was quickly getting un-fun. So he paddled in and I went to hide behind the condos....which was unfruitful fish wise. Bill stopped by with a 10lb claw anchor and I put that to good use and re-set in the original location. But it was like a washing machine 100 feet from shore, when I kept taking wave after wave over the side and stern, filling the yak with water over and over, loose gear floating between my legs b/c the water coming in was greater than the water flowing out, I called it a day.
When I got home, everything was coated with a thick layer of salt, much more than usual. My drysuit stinks like clam liquor and bloodworm spunk even after cleaning. After an hour of hosing everything, drying, putting away and thoroughly cleaning the reels, I cleaned and cooked my prize, barely a snack but yummy. Fluke season can't get here fast enough.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Winter Flounder Report

great report. which ramp did you use? also, were you using 2 anchors in the yak (when you Had them ) ?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Togalicious Moderator

Flounder fishing is dirty work.
Good try though
Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
great report. which ramp did you use? also, were you using 2 anchors in the yak (when you Had them ) ?
Used the beach next to the public ramp (off of rt.35. near the park). Used 2 anchors after I got a hold of Bill's 10lb anchor. I didn't lose my anchor, Dennis did....and it was recovered yesterday by a fellow diver friend, so all is well.
If the wind wasn't so strong, a light anchor and your chum pot could suffice, but better to have atleast 3-5 lbs as an anchor and another straight down for stability over your chum zone.