Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Striper Surf Reprinted ....

Striper Surf, which is my how-to book first released in '92, has just been printed for an eleventh time. This is particularly good news in light of the fact that the publisher, Globe-Pequot Press, had suspended publication of all fishing books. I managed to grab up all that were left of the 10th printing in anticipation of the shortage, but recent economic upturns apparently caused reconsideration of publication policies.

This is only an announcement but your reflections on this are still welcome.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Striper Surf Reprinted ....

Oh goodie! I am going to wait for the sale price based on the law of supply and demand. I love those two for sales.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Anything new on the other projects you were working on when the publisher decided to shut down?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

If I didn't own it, I'd buy it !

Interesting phrase: recent economic upturns

I wasn't aware of any ?!?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Rob, crude oil was $145 a barrell and is now half that. That is not good economic news? My wife and I lost $70,000 in the bond market and mutuals and got half of it back. That is not good? Joyce reads the sports pages and I read the business pages. Something else could go wrong but for now things are getting better.

The so-called “book trade”, which is the big stores , like Barnes and Noble, have been closing stores and Borders has been rumored to be going out entirely but that was delayed. There is some relief in the book trade. More important, I did not want to go hiking for a publisher of my top selling book and, for now that is not going to happen.

“Anything new on the other projects you were working on when the publisher decided to shut down?” Yes, but everything is too tentative for me to talk about it now. There are negotiations in process. I can only say that things are better.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
SS/Veteran

I regained a lot of what was in my 401K but wish I could withdraw all of it and put somewhere safer. I asked about it but they said I can't take it out unless I leave the company.

I wouldn't trust the stock market again until we know for sure that most of the Madoff's are put out of business. It wouldn't surprise me if we have another downturn that's even worse than the one we just had. It's a very unstable world with Iran, Pakistan and North Korea ready to go bonzo any day now and the could hit the fan.

The 401K industry seems to be another bloodsucker that has yet to be exposed. They don't even have to tell you what they're charging you and you won't find out until you need to take the funds out. If I did find a better job option you can bet your boots that I'd take it and get my money out.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

well this isn't the forum to get into "upturns" or not... I will say I am *definitely* excited about the prospect of another Frank D book!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

For those of you who dont have "Striper Surf", I highly recommend it. Informative, and a good read, the "Bible of Surfcasting"... Bob D'Amico stopped by my place awhile back, and saw my well worn copy sitting near my desk. Said "I see you have the bible" I thought he was talking about the Bible in a nice wooden box given to me when my mother passed away... Of course he was talking about "Striper Surf"
Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Striper Surf is on advanced royalties where they pay 12% of the wholesale price instead of 10 percent. Doesn't sound like much but it comes out to about $200 per year for doing nothing but signing the check. I have three on advanced royalties -- Hot Spots and Burford Books Trophy Striper. The late Bob Post (Reading the Water) once told me that keeping a book in print, dah, is paramount. I hover over six. What Woolner used to call, "new money for old rope."
Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Hello Frank,
I read somewhere, most likely here on SS where to get signed copies or atleast some books signed. What books can I get in hard cover also. Hell if I have to I come pounding on door and not leave you alone if I have to. LOL only kidding.
I was reading some info about you on this site, do you still live in MA? I think I used to live about 10 minutes away from you. It's funny as I read some of your stuff the other night about fishing on Nauset and such, then found out what town you lived in. I thank you as this brought back so many found memories from my younger days. Is was in a way very similar to me(except the fish count) but the Nutbag comment rings true. I grew spending summers on the Cape, we used to fish and also drive an IH Scout onto Naucet and other areas to fish(actually 2 different Scouts along w/ a Bronco). Thank you for the found memories.
By the way I grew up in Whitinsville and my parents before I was born lived in Millville and Uxbridge.

Thank you,
Brian
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks for writing. The only one left in hardcover is Eastern Tides -- a surfcaster's life which I have and offer here. Striper Surf first came out in hardcover but is long gone, a collectable now. We are still in Millville. Sounds like you may have read Twenty Years on the Cape. Its success inspired the writing of Eastern Tides, which I think is a slightly better book. But I did get an e-mail from a promenent Vinyard surfcaster only yesterday and he said that he just read 20 Years for the fifth time. Did your mother ever go to Bowen's Barn in the 50's?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm not sure about Bowen's Barn, I will check with my aunt as she still lives in Milford. My mom had passed away around 20 years ago. I think my cousins husbund used to be on the police force in Millville actually I think it was Mendon and my aunt was vice-principal in Milford for years.
Back in the day my family used to own most of South Uxbridge, of course I never saw anything from it as my grandmothers bothers and sister screwed her. Much of that land (Ironstone area) was sold through the years and then a large chunk more when they redid 146 and to developers. The land had been deeded to them before the Revolution by the British Parliment. This land was west of the old drive-in movie therater and south to RI. The old farm house and family cemetary is still there. I remember driving around the farm in an old Model T truck when I was a kid and I lived in Uxbridge when I was born, a street off of Millville Rd.(Rt.122).

Bowens Barn? Was that a school? For some reason that sounds familiar, I know my dad went to a little one room school house which used to or still is in there. It was in the Ironstone area not far from Ironstone Reservior near South St.( a little grey building)

I used to go through Millville heading to Woonsocket quite often, most folks just drove through Millville as there is nothing there. Although I did buy a motorcycle in Millville and my friend boss lived there but I forget his name. Is the metal grate bridge that hums when you drove over it still there? I used to go over this bridge sometimes heading to my grandmothers in Slatersville. Small world isn't it?

Sorry for the long post
Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 AM

I was kidding about Bowens Barn in that I might have danced with your mother, or your aunt. I was kind of a buck back in the day. I met my wife,Joyce, at Bowens Barn, which was a dance hall a half mile south of Ironstone at the Uxbridge/Millville line. It was a square dance hall and even then we called it a ?Sht-kicker joint?. They danced squares and ?slows? with a violin and piano in the orchestra. Your aunt would have been in big trouble during the ?slows?.

The quaint Ironstone school house is still there and maintained by the Historical Society. The grate bridge in Millville has been replaced and is now a spacious, multi-million dollar span. The Drive-In screen is still standing as the wind seems to still go around it. Joyce and I hunt deer and turkeys all around there. The Richardsons still own many hundreds of acres and let us hunt. There is also a family, King, where we buy our fresh eggs. Could be eithr of those surnames. You are really pushing some buttons. You got my 51 Ford?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Wow you know some of my family. I grew up going to the farm as a kid. The Richardsons are my kin. My great-grandmother worked the farm and cows till she was like 91 or 92 yrs old. Uncle Dup (Elias)as we call him is my grandmothers brother. My grand mother(Ruth) is deceased and buried in Friends Cemertary(the small one in the field). I had hunted, fished and partied on the land for years. What a great life it was as a kid playing in the barn milking the cows and harassing the chickens. My dad's picture is in the Uxbridge town book, he is sitting at his desk in the school house as when he was young he grew up on the farm. I believe he was actually born on the kitchen table. I'm also related to the Martinsons from the same area.

It's funny as in the last message I was also going to mention the Kings, as I goggle earthed it and saw the barn is still there. Just drop in take your eggs and leave your money in the box. Best and freshest eggs around. Actually I did not have to pay for my eggs but I always did.

Who knows maybe my mother or aunt was in "trouble" with you back in the day. My mothers name was Moore and my aunt may have been Moore, Gabis or Cota. I lived on Susan Parkway when I was born but the house had burned down when I was like 2 1/2 yrs old. My grandfather used to fly planes out of Uxbridge many years ago and had a few of his own. He actually crashed a few of them landing while being drunk.

Wow it really is a small world, who knows we may have even crossed paths at some time either around town or on the Cape as I spent much time around Eastham, Chatham and such. Ya know I look at your pic and would swear we had met sometime.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 AM

You would have to put an age on yourelf for me to know if we ever crossed, Listen, that brook that runs out of Richardson land in to Ironstone res got any native trout in it? I know that below the res. there were natives, probably escape to the river during low water. One time I was bent down drinking at Balm of Life spring with my flashlight and a six inch brookie froze in my light beam. I keep meanin to go back but there is so much other stuff. Frippin Scouts were pigs. An exhaust sytem per year. Goin shootin. TTFN.