Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Default definition of a sharpie

frank you being the sharpie of sharpies what are the requirements of being one? how many years in the surf? do you need to have a 50? how many nites a year?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: definition of a sharpie

Great question, one that has never come up before in my 37 years on the Internet. The question deserves more thought, but I can shoot from the hip on this one.

A true sharpie never lies about a catch -- you know, never catches a 49 pounder or stretches his successes outside of truth. A phony, like yur uncles that I fished with back when only boys had tattoes.

A sharpie chooses his students very carefully being cautious about drawing too much attention to himself.

A sharpie should never be so dilusional that he imposes stupid junk science things on to googans. Perhaps be willing to acknowledge his limitations and admit to limitations, human failings.

In a sharpies selective teachings, whenever he can help people without imposing a downside on himself or others, he comes clean. (Does anybody remember the kid in Twenty Years on the Cape, that Joyce helped at the swim beach land his first big striper?)

A sharpie is streetwise enough so that he would never buy into those cheap trades where the other person wants to trade your truths for his oats already through the horse.

A sharpie is a good listener who says less.

A streetwise sharpie can not help but feel a certain guilt when he trusts the wrong person.

No, an effective surfcaster does not have to have a 50 or put a given set of nights in per year or fish for so many years. I think that a sharpie is a person who is successful in his personal life, has provided for his family, is sensitive to the needs of those around him -- a good citizen. When I went to college in my late thirties I studied Benvinutto Cellini, the Renaissance artist who championed the all-around man who could master all the mediums in the arts. In that study what they were saying was that a good man could not be difined in simple terms with only one thing. Rather, his idea of all-around was perfection in bronze, in paint, in the caverns of the mind. So it is with a surfcaster -- a person who appreciates the natural world, the equip, the society of the striper surf, the species that live within it and the challenges that make it so exciting.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:43 PM

a 50 does not make you a sharpie i work with a guy who fishes 1 day a year on a charter and he has a 50 he doesnt even know the importance of a 50.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:51 PM

His "fifty" was probably 25 pounds. We had those guys bass fishing in fresh water when I was growing up catching five pounders. A charter? "George, grab that!"
Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Well,reading Franks defintion of a "sharpie", I might come close... Never got a 50, dont lie about catches, I do admit to helping a few that dont have a clue (not that I really do have a clue). I prefer to be known as the guy in the green Jeep, that will BS with you for a bit if you stop to say hi. If someone is sincere, I have no problem with sharing my limited knowledge, or pointing them in the direction of someone whe REALLY knows how to do it (Hey Frank, any chance of getting a kickback on the people I have sent towards your books?)
The best sharpie I have ever known, was my former father in law. He fished the beaches of Jersey from when he came home from the war in the mid 40's, and kept at it till his passing about 5 years ago. He got my middle son hooked on it when he was young, and my son in turn, got me back into fishing. He never got a 50, but managed to catch something, even during the moratorium years. It pained him to know he couldn't fish the way he did, as he got older, but he still gave it a try. His enthusiam for what we enjoy sparked a young boy to continue learning about the sport, and in turn push his "old man" back into it. For that, I'm greatful to have known such a man.
Thanks Harry!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:58 PM
SS/Insider

Talking Re: definition of a sharpie

i think a sharpie is the guy who pays attention to EVERYTHING that is going on- keeps his eyes and ears open, but still pays more attention to what his lure is doing than what the guy 100 yds. away is doing. the guy who catches 1 or 2 fish when no one else is catching weed, and the guy who always seems to catch a few more than everyone else.this is on the average over months and years of fishing. this is also the guy who gets in 20% more casts because he has the right lure on more than you, has the right line and tackle/bait for the situation, pees before he goes down to the beach, has his lure tied on, and doesn't waste time making a sandwich when a school of bass is passsing right in front of his kneecaps!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 PM

The sharpie in Snake Slinger's example is the charter skipper, not the guy with the 50. We can teach a chimp to crank on a reel. The captain, on the other hand, is making all the decisions about where, when, how. The captain really catches the fish. The rent payer is just having fun then ends up deluding himself about his angling prowess. Makes me think of a Panama bordello creating the world's greatest lovers. Not that I'v done that much fishing, mind you.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:33 PM

i think a sharpie consistantly puts fish on the beach he or she doesnt go to an outflow were everyone else is drifting plugs and try to fish bait,they dont shine there lite on the water they dont care to much about fishing reports because they know were the fish will be and they pay atention to the small details.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Yes, a sharpie is a lot of things that all point to doing things right. The non-sharpie engages in a lot of admissions without realizing it. Surfcasters going on a charter boat for one. I risk over-generalizing here but we always thought that our worst surfcasters ended up fishing from boats. The frustration of never getting a dinner eats at them to the point where they have to go. and going on a charter is total admission of incompetence. And that is okay because we all start out as incompetent. But don't come back and strut when the Captain is the one who knew the ropes.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

A sharpie knows when to beat a tactical retreat.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 PM

Because it takes my mind off of Cindy Garrison, this is a great thread. But is this the right place to talk about a person who goes fishing for stripers in a boat? Does the guy not get it? The standards by which we measure competent surfcasting does not include anything about going fishing from a boat. Let boat fishermen examine and otherwise judge boat fishing, a thing we here at -- dah -- stripersurf.com do not indulge in. There are ten Fifties in boats for every one in the surf. And of those 10 boat fifties, nine are "Johnny-grab-thats". Lordy, I thank my lucky stars each day that none of our daughters ever came home with one of those guys. Bunch of flippin nose pickers!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

WOW!!! Deer season must be good, Mr Smarty is getting frisky!

I dont know, I just dont feel comfortable fishing in a boat. My son has one, and does equally well fishing boat or beach. He drags me out occasionally, but it's not the same as fishing the beach. I dont get seasick or anything, but the boat just seems too confining. Cast a plug, make sure you dont hit the kid on the other side of the boat doing so, drop a jig, ho hum, and lets not even talk about trolling...
I have never come close to getting a 50, but if and when the fish gods shine on me, it will probably be on a beach. I will have the satisfaction of knowing that what I learned thru personal observation, and what others (mainly from these forums) have shared, allowed me to get it. Not a fishfinder or other electronic gadget.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault
Because it takes my mind off of Cindy Garrison, this is a great thread. But is this the right place to talk about a person who goes fishing for stripers in a boat? Does the guy not get it? The standards by which we measure competent surfcasting does not include anything about going fishing from a boat. Let boat fishermen examine and otherwise judge boat fishing, a thing we here at -- dah -- stripersurf.com do not indulge in. There are ten Fifties in boats for every one in the surf. And of those 10 boat fifties, nine are "Johnny-grab-thats". Lordy, I thank my lucky stars each day that none of our daughters ever came home with one of those guys. Bunch of flippin nose pickers!

Frank, you either got it all wrong or your not serious; there are pleanty of VERY COMPETENT boat fishermen. I, for one, do pretty good from a boat but I actually used to get much bigger fish from the beach. I always have it in my mind to go strictly back to beach fishing when I retire from working. The time commitment I used to put in was far too demanding to do both my job and fish the beach the way I used to. Perhaps it is more of an addiction/obsession with me that I know I will be "hooked" on as soon as I start again. I can't do something I feel so passionatly about "half way"....JC
Old 11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator

A Sharpie is a fine point type of magic marker. I have one on my desk.

It smells pretty good too.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 PM

Sharpies and their development come in all forms. We had a guy on the beach who was frustrated by his results. He got a boat, went to P-town to surf launch, and became their number one high-liner. Also, I'm surprised and disappointed that nobody mentioned Squid Beaumont, a boatman character in Eastern Tides.