Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Don't let Outdoor Art Thread Die.

Maybe I'm a little too hot and tired this morning in this 97 degree heat from cuttin' logs, but I'm goin' fuss a little bit. Don't let the OUTDOOR ART thread die. There are so many good threads archived on this site that I wish I had a book with all of them in it. But I know that more than just a few fishermen can contribute to the OUTDOOR ART thread. That's some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen. Lagoonguy and Va. Gentleman and their wives. Rmarsh's little niece, Piscator, Peterjay, Finny, Frank, Ragman, Plum Crazy, and others who have contributed.
I know that most fishermen who are determined enough to become really good at their sport have other talents as well. Photography is an art. Even with a point and shoot pocket camera, a certain amount of skill is involved, and when you view Plum Crazy's slide show video that she gave us on July 10, you can see a wide variety of pictures taken with an expensive camera and lens that took a long time to learn to produce that kind of quality.
If some of you still don't know how to post a picture, go back to the POSTING A PICTURE thread, and pull up RobS first class post on May 2nd, for a complete explanation with diagrams on how it is done.
Writing and reading about the fish we catch is very enjoyable, but seeing your pictures of what you catch and draw or paint is even more so, especially for old buzzards like myself that can't fight the heat and the waves like we used to do.
Outdoor art, and pictures last forever, and as someone said, they stop time for an instant, and if I don't, on seeing them, feel that long ago excitement for a moment, then the wiring in my old brain is misfiring.

MULE.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Don't let Outdoor Art Thread Die.

Hey, Steve, I've got a couple more paintings I'm working on - always work on 2-3 at a time. Until then, I' post this picture by my cousin, Larry Dahlmer of my families boat, the Margaret D. Our grandfather, Capt. Johnny Dahlmer is in the pilothouse and the crew is sorting a tow of fish. The ship was built to my grandfather's design in Dunkirk, NY. It is named for my mother and mom christened her befor gramps brought her to Gloucester in 1910. She fished as a gillneter and a seiner until she was wrecked on Salt Island, Rockport, Ma. on Good Friday the 13th. 1925.

Larry is a builder of wooden boats and has a studio at his shop and marine railway on Rocky Neck in Gloucester. You can see more of his art at www.ladarts.com

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I wish I had something to contribute. awesome thread
Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Hey, Steve, I've got a couple more paintings I'm working on - always work on 2-3 at a time. Until then, I' post this picture by my cousin, Larry Dahlmer of my families boat, the Margaret D. Our grandfather, Capt. Johnny Dahlmer is in the pilothouse and the crew is sorting a tow of fish. The ship was built to my grandfather's design in Dunkirk, NY. It is named for my mother and mom christened her befor gramps brought her to Gloucester in 1910. She fished as a gillneter and a seiner until she was wrecked on Salt Island, Rockport, Ma. on Good Friday the 13th. 1925.

Larry is a builder of wooden boats and has a studio at his shop and marine railway on Rocky Neck in Gloucester. You can see more of his art at www.ladarts.com
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I agree, Rob. I have so much going on these days that I can't take the time to solve the picture-put-up issues. Also, while it is entertaining and working for the site, I'm edgy about putting up pix that someone could steal with the right click.

All threads run their course and eventually even the best ideas fizzle once everybody has had their say, their input. It is part of the ongoing process; let's hope art is the exception.