Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM

Default general beach buggy question

Hi, wanted to get some advice on beach buggies.

I recently tried to resurrect my '87 K10 to turn it into a beach buggy for this winter season, but its too far gone and rotted away.

My daily driver is an '05 pathfinder.

I've got 2 questions:

1) does the beach seriously tear up vehicles? ie would I be shooting myself in the foot taking my shiny new nissan on the beach 2x a week and be better off in the long run having another junker just for fishing?

2) If I am better off with a junker, is there a particular 4x4 that is exceptional on the beach? ie, I've never liked cj's, or rangers, or a little 'yotas, but would spring for a cheap one if they're just simply great for the beach... my personal preference would be for another k10 or blazer, etc, as I got a lot of good parts and a winch I can pull off my old truck, but that chevy was nothing but trouble from the get-go anyhow...

thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 AM
SS/Insider

Default Re: general beach buggy question

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer a "beater" (1993 Grand Cherokee w/265k miles) just for the sake of not worrying about sand in the interior. Call me lazy, but I rarely vacuum the inside of my buggy.

I've heard that moisture gets trapped in the sand on te undercarriage, but I'd guess a car wash could address that.

My fishing gear on the other hand gets the full teatment after each trip.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
SS/Veteran

I have an 05 pathfinder too.

If you take care of it, it is no big deal. Guys have $80,000 rigs and believe me they do not beat on them or neglect them.

I put down the seats and lay a heavy duty tarp over the whole back. It tucks in behind the front seats. It lays up on the sides and I put a piece of duct tape to keep it from falling down.

I do get sand in it but thats what vaccuums are for. $2.00 in quaters is cheaper than even the most beat-up 2nd car.

You will only run into problems if you get stuck, or if it is raining real hard. If it is raining you will get the insides dirty. When you get stuck or push through deeper sand you will get sand on the undercarrige.

You get sand off by getting one of those sprinklers that move back and forth in an arc. put it under the car and let it go. Move the car up a few feet repeat. That should take care of the sand. You may want to spray down the engine and the wheel well area if you get stuck.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks guys.

Shipwreck, thanks, I snuck my pathfinder on the beach a few weeks ago, it did fine, but I was so concerned about sand underneath that I ended up hosing it for nearly an hour (like I do with my tackle anyhow).

When I first got the truck, I got a bedliner for the back that has a well, so sand stays moderately contained, also did the same with all of the footwells and covered all of the seats - I'm less concerned about the interior and more concerned about wanting to drive this truck for at least 200k (I try to take care of my stuff and then use it until its dead).

undecided about what to do, but thanks!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Buck,

The Pathfinder should be fine. Just remember to rinse it well after each time on the beach, and you should have no problems. If you want to go the "beater" route, look for a Jeep Cherokee. I have a '96 with 143,000 miles on it. I also use it for everyday driving, and have had very few problems with it. Runs the beach very well, have never had a problem getting stuck (knock on wood...), has good ground cleance and the 4.0 liter engine has plenty of power. The only problem I have, is not cleaning the interior. The little woman always says all I have to do is add water and a couple sea shells, and I can have an instant beach in the drivers seat... The rear seats have been folded down since I owned it, and all my "stuff" is kept back there.
Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy!

BTW, mine is on the beach almost everyday also.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 AM

I'll second the Cherokee, mine had 150,000 miles when I sold it to my neighbor, it now has 180,000 on it and still going strong, no rust what so ever, zips across the sand, never got stuck, plenty of power with the 4.0 engine. Only down fall it was a tiny bit small for my 6' frame.