Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 02-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Very light tackle

What do you think of using very light tackle to catch larger fish?

I have a 9'6" steelhead rod that I use for shad fishing. With 10# braid I don't think anything less than a monster fish could spool me and anything short of that just about can't break the line if the rod and drag are properly employed. I have heard of people using such a rod successfully on saltwater fish, but I wonder if that kind of long fight is too hard on C&R fish.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Very light tackle

Bayakker will likely chime in as he uses a steelhead/salmon rod on occasion.

I think it makes for great fun but I share the same concern with it potentially being too long of a fight if a fish is strong enough. Or if it's a more crowded fishing spot, not having the power to turn and work a fish.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Being spooled will be determined by drag rating on your reel with proper setting the #10 will have the breaking strength under load
I'll taken 30-40lb Tarpon with a Salmon travel rod , spinning reel with 24 lb drag on 20 lb braid safely released .

If you looking for a IGFA record would have to look up the rules .
Old 02-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Senior Fellow

I have moved much lighter in tackle but I stay with stronger braid; I think it gives me a better chance of not tiring the fish or breaking off;
Old 02-07-2017, 02:09 PM
SS/Veteran

I have the 9'6" salmon/steelhead rod. This past fall I had three albies and a jack Cravelle at the hook. One of those albies took a hickory shad on a Nantucket sleigh ride (hickory on the teaser, albie on the deadly dick). All of the fish took me up and down the beach, all I could do is hold on and take a walk. Twice the beach was crowded, but there were a great bunch of guys out there that day let me go in, out,up,down. I was using a 4000 sustain with 17lb mono. i think it would be ok with schoolies, but I would also be concerned about fighting big fish and practicing c&r. When the bigger bass showed up, I left it home, as I am a c&r guy, and didn't want to put any unwanted stress on the fish, or perturb the 30 guys next to me
Old 02-07-2017, 09:16 PM

I am guilty of fishing light tackle but I don't like going under 20# braid in saltwater. When you "fish too much" the 10# braid starts to fray and I just don't have the confidence in it (never had 10# suffix 832 break off on a fish).

Love the St. Croix steelhead rods for fluking and back bay fishing! I have one 8' 6" rated up to 1.5oz which is very sensitive and another rated to 2oz that is much stronger and faster action.

Just in 2016 I caught two bass over 30# on a 7' freshwater rod rated 3/8 - 3/4oz with 20# braid.

Also got 3 blackfish over 10lbs this past fall on jigs with that same rod fishing the sticky stuff with 20# braid and 25# leader.

None of the fights were extended. The bass were actually brought to the boat very quickly.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Thanks all.

I think I'll try the rig on the back side rather than the beach, to start anyway. Maybe spool up with 20#, too.

Now it's just daydreaming, anyway...