Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:20 AM

For years the Comms have had 60% of the Fluke Quota in NJ. A tradionally 80% rec fishery. The recs have been living with 40%. To top it off Rec's can take fish at 16.5 inches and comms at 14".

I say this travesty must be reversed!

The new regs should be 60% and 14" for Recs and 40% & 16.5" for the commies.

I say this because since the Commies found the Flukes wintering grounds they have destroyed the stocks. Of course the Recs get the strict regs and the commies continue to lay the wood to the Fluke.

Better yet how about a 5 year moritorium on comm Fluking?

What's your opinion Bent? You said in other posts it's not even worth fishing for the Fluke now for you.

I want the truth!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:20 AM

For years the Comms have had 60% of the Fluke Quota in NJ. A tradionally 80% rec fishery. The recs have been living with 40%. To top it off Rec's can take fish at 16.5 inches and comms at 14".

I say this travesty must be reversed!

The new regs should be 60% and 14" for Recs and 40% & 16.5" for the commies.

I say this because since the Commies found the Flukes wintering grounds they have destroyed the stocks. Of course the Recs get the strict regs and the commies continue to lay the wood to the Fluke.

Better yet how about a 5 year moritorium on comm Fluking?

What's your opinion Bent? You said in other posts it's not even worth fishing for the Fluke now for you.

I want the truth!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Administrator

You know he cant answer that question now. He's too busy getting his two tons of Fluke per week.

Oh and he wants his commercial striper quota back so he can help those fish stay healthy and not get spots.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 AM

Rat,

I can’t speak to the differences in the quota allocation between rec & com. I wonder where you got the 80% historic rec catch vs. com though? Where did you find that #?

But I can suggest why there is a difference in the size limits.

For one thing a rec can catch 15” fluke, release it, and it has a good chance at survival. Coms can’t, those fish are dead if they come up in the cod end of a net. One of the things management has to do is reduce the amount of “wasted fish” by discards, it’s a federal mandate. One way to do this is by allowing fish to be landed rather then going over the side dead.

But the coms do pay for that. Unlike recs, they have a hard quota. If they catch that quota they have to stop fishing. Recs can only be managed by using seasons, creel limits, and min sizes. If recs would like to have a similar limit recs can do so, but it will mean lower creel limits or a shorter season to compensate.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:32 AM

OK Fair enough. How about a larger mesh size for the comms? That way smaller fish have a chance to escape. Bent said two tows and his 2 ton trip limit is full. With a larger mesh size the trip limit would result in less fish landed and the smaller ones will have a chance to spawn.

Do comms want to keep killing all the small fish?

I want the truth!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 AM

Changing mesh size is a good a way of preventing discards. But even if you go with a larger mesh, sometimes a fish gets tangled. Just like sometimes a rec will pull in a undersized fish even if they baited a larger hook then they would have normally

And no coms are looking for doormats just like recs. They get a much better price per pound, don’t have to fish as long, and they hate throwing over perfectly good fish that aren’t going to make it. Plus sorting the catch on deck takes a lot of time and energy. The fewer small fish they get…the better and more profitable the trip is.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

MDC,
Rat doesnt understand that.All he knows is that the comms are getting his fish,and he doesnt like it.AND THATS THE TRUTH!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:14 AM

Spoken like a true commie apoligist!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Thank you RiverRat!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Bents has left for a few days, Thus he will not be replying!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Fishpicker,
Making the trip to Nantucket? Or taking the bride on vacation? She deserves it,dealing with him when he's home!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:50 PM
SS/Veteran

It all depends what IVAN is doing RAG