Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Are there any exceptionally good surf rod builders that can build me a custom rod out there? willing to spend $200-300...
does anyone know any custom rod makers?
please reply if u do, or if you are one PM/email me for more details!
thanks!

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Are there any exceptionally good surf rod builders that can build me a custom rod out there? willing to spend $200-300...
does anyone know any custom rod makers?
please reply if u do, or if you are one PM/email me for more details!
thanks!

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
spence

As I've mentioned before, I've gotten a few rods from CMS Enterprises in New Bedford and am very happy with both their product and service.

If you can't find someone local they are a great shop.

-spence
Old 11-05-2003, 11:09 AM
ferret

Dunno if he works in for the shop or is otherwise affiliated, but the Cape Cod Tackle guy is supposed to be really good.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:45 AM

CMS of N Bedford and CCT (aka M & D's)of Wareham are not affiliated in any way
They are both one of the biggest rod builders in the North East.
No matter which builder you choose don't let them talk you into any guides other than Fuji.

quote:
Are there any exceptionally good surf rod builders that can build me a custom rod out there? willing to spend $200-300.

You should easily get a custom rod built in the 9' area for between $140 - $175 and 10 ' rods from $175 & up by each builder but will vary depending on Blank type, action, guides and thread designs.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:13 PM

My builder told me Pac bay were the best guides. Titanium oxide rings with aluminum supports.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:19 PM

I would have to disagree with your builder. The other guides are usually cheaper. So when you build a lot of rods over the year wether it's custom or production the savings of the builder adds up. That is why a lot of builders use them. I see the incerts falling out all the time on other than Fuji brands .
you know what they say "you can pay me now or pay me later."when were only talking a few $$ usually under $10 differance why would you risk it.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:47 PM

The savings on a Pac Bay "Hialoy" guide over a Fuji "Hardaloy" works out to less than a buck a guide. Cheap insurance to pay the extra pennies for a Fuji, considering it'll cost you anywhere from $8 to $20 per guide, depending on the builder, for a complete re-wrap.

The only time a Pac Bay guide is advised is in the situation where you have an old glass rod that needs a 70 mm stripper guide for peak performance, and only because Fuji makes nothing over 50 mm.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:10 PM

thanks for the help guys. looking into a custom surf rod from Saltheart (in S-B forum) think his name is mike....www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/shcr.shtml
see some of his work! look awesome and they have a great reputation

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-05-2003, 02:33 PM
spence

Looks nice. I think a quality local builder is your best bet. Nothing beats a relationship you can leverage for repairs etc...

-spence
Old 11-05-2003, 03:58 PM

quote:
The only time a Pac Bay guide is advised is in the situation where you have an old glass rod that needs a 70 mm stripper guide for peak performance, and only because Fuji makes nothing over 50 mm.

I still got some of the original Fuji #65 That were discontinued about 14 years ago.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:29 PM

I heard when designing a spinning rod you want to use the biggest leed guide available. some one suggested that I use a 70mm wire guide for the leed guide and Fuji Hardloy there after.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:50 AM

InshoreAngler,

Don't know if you have purchased that rod you were looking for, but if you are still searching, try this web site. www.hatterasoutfitters.com
Tres Irby will build you a super rod to your dimensions. Good prices. Will ship anywhere. Based out of Cape Hatteras, OBX. Most blanks are breakaways or outcast.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Thanks Tuck. I'm having "Saltheart"(Mike White) build me my custom rod - a 9'6" breakaway. Here is his site with some of his work.
http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/shcr.shtml

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-10-2003, 04:30 PM

I notice in all the sample photos there is no support where the handle meets the graphite. Im my opinion this is a very poor design. I can show you pictures of what will happen to these rods. As I stated in many other threads the old St. Croix were built like this. The clear (what ever rods are coated in) cracks at the joints and the rod will come very loose. If you are only concered with the pretty thread colors I guess it's worth it?

It's not the only way to fish, but it should be!