Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 PM

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN A REALLY GOOD REEL AND A AVERAGE POLE OR A REALLY GOOD RODAND A AVERAGE REEL WHAT WOULD YOU PICK?
I WOULD USE IT IN THE SURF AND ON THE JETTY
NOT OVER 8 FEET FOR THE POLE 2 TO 4 OZ .
THANKS...
Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 PM

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN A REALLY GOOD REEL AND A AVERAGE POLE OR A REALLY GOOD RODAND A AVERAGE REEL WHAT WOULD YOU PICK?
I WOULD USE IT IN THE SURF AND ON THE JETTY
NOT OVER 8 FEET FOR THE POLE 2 TO 4 OZ .
THANKS...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
TimmGil

Id pick the reely good real....

==============================
Who names their kid Grady anyways???
Old 11-06-2003, 07:16 PM

I would pick the reel also especially with a good drag
Old 11-06-2003, 08:18 PM

A good reel with a good drag can definately compensate for an average rod. I don't believe that can be said for the opposite situation.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:30 PM
SS/Veteran

If it was going to be used primarily for plug casting, the better rod. If bait fishing, the better reel. As long as the "average" piece of equipment is truly decent. I wouldnt want K-mart type stuff in either end of the equation. Or wait awhile, save up, and get the good reel and the good rod and be truly happy.

roger.smith@stripersurf.com
Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 PM
SS/Platinum

yes
Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 PM

Rod.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:09 PM

I'd get the really good rod and hang a good, inexpensive reel off it---like a Squidder or a Penn Spinfisher-Z
Old 11-07-2003, 10:25 AM

The reel, definately! You can't fight a fish w/ a crappy unreliable reel, but you will probably get by w/ an OK rod. Just my .02
Brandon

"Just to the Right of RUSH!"
Old 11-07-2003, 10:27 AM
sun tzu

rod
Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 AM

Good reels are wonderful, but the advantage over the el cheapos tends to show up mostly in what the good ones don't do...they don't corrode easily, they don't crap out under load, they don't kill your trip just because they get wet or sandy, and they don't need to be taken completely apart and cleaned after every use. I've seen many crappy reels that cast and retrieve just fine. Smooth as all hell, millions of bb's, and all that good stuff. They just don't last very well, or they're a PITA to maintain, or a big fish turns them into scrap metal/plastic. My point: good reels show their stuff over time, rather than on every cast.

I think rods are a little different, in that a good rod lets you know it's there every time you throw out your plug or bait. For me, there's a nice feel to the cast, a feel that just isn't there with the low-end stuff. Like a lot of guys my age, I came up on old surf broomsticks, then got into discount house Shakespeare Alphas and Ugly Stiks. My first cast with a high-grade St. Croix graphite was a real wakeup call.

So, just to complicate the issue, my answer is:

Thinking long-term, I'd want the good reel. For instant gratification, I'd take the good rod.

Bottom line: you need both. Thanks to the fishing gods, I've got them covered pretty well. Now, can we please skip the winter and move right to May?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll piss away the kids' tuition fund on fancy equipment he doesn't need, stay out late at night, come home smelling like a dead mackerel, and start hanging around with some really questionable characters."
-- the Ex

[This message was edited by davess23 on 11-07-03 at 11:17 AM.]
Old 11-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Well said Davess23. One other point is that on a good rod (Heaver) you will feel the smaller fish as well as the big ones.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
ferret

Reel, you can buy higher performance rods at reasonable prices (Tica/Tsunami/Daiwa). But you can not get a high performance reel at a decent price.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:21 PM

I believe a good/great rod will give you more benefit more often than a good/great reel.

I'd go with the great rods first and then get the great reels or the reels that perform for you, down the road.