Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

I think I found one of yours the other day, Frank. My wife and I hit a couple thrift stores every other week looking for picture frames. I bought a beautiful 16X20 frame for $2 that had one of those pictures it it - thrown and dribbled paint. Should have taken a picture of it and posted it to see if you could identify, but I heard the dumpster being picked up about two hours ago.
Bill
Old 05-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
FRANK, with your luck, you'd probably wind up with an art gallery masterpiece.

MULE.
In college we were required to take an art course. I don't remember learning anything. The instructor was kind of a free-wheeler who would put a sheet of paper in front of you and tell you to go ahead and create a "visual experience". I don't know if it was a waste because of me or because of the instructor. Only that it was a waste .
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
In college we were required to take an art course. I don't remember learning anything. The instructor was kind of a free-wheeler who would put a sheet of paper in front of you and tell you to go ahead and create a "visual experience". I don't know if it was a waste because of me or because of the instructor. Only that it was a waste .
"some knows hows to draw and somes don't!" Popeye

The history of art is filled with interesting crap that if you buy into it you can get something from it. MAYBE... I like painting ....so I have a definiton of what art is that although tolerant of horse poop ..I find solace in knowing it is NOT PAINTING! So sometimes it is interesting crap and depends on whos crap.....
IT Depends when you studied and with who.... what was fashionable at the time... might be what some yahoo is laying on you.... up in Provincetown was the king Hans Hoffmann who taught everyone . Some look at the Hoffmann students and think its crap...and they just don't understand... It is like not understanding Italian or French, But those languages are valid.. but some think they know what the work is about and slap some pretty paint and mostly they are filled with crap....I'm an old fart and think you need to learn from the masters..and learn to draw....and so did Hoffmann.. but if you google Hoffmann , de kooning, Pollock..They are the real deal... and over a beer or 7... I'll explain why to anyonel One might understand and still not like the but what the heck...
Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelieb View Post
"some knows hows to draw and somes don't!" Popeye

The history of art is filled with interesting crap that if you buy into it you can get something from it. MAYBE... I like painting ....so I have a definiton of what art is that although tolerant of horse poop ..I find solace in knowing it is NOT PAINTING! So sometimes it is interesting crap and depends on whos crap.....
IT Depends when you studied and with who.... what was fashionable at the time... might be what some yahoo is laying on you.... up in Provincetown was the king Hans Hoffmann who taught everyone . Some look at the Hoffmann students and think its crap...and they just don't understand... It is like not understanding Italian or French, But those languages are valid.. but some think they know what the work is about and slap some pretty paint and mostly they are filled with crap....I'm an old fart and think you need to learn from the masters..and learn to draw....and so did Hoffmann.. but if you google Hoffmann , de kooning, Pollock..They are the real deal... and over a beer or 7... I'll explain why to anyonel One might understand and still not like the but what the heck...
boy do I sound fill of hot air tonight or what...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: U.S. Space Shuttle Endeavor's Last Flight

Here's my little tribute to Space Shuttle Endeavor. She blasted ito space from Cape Canaveral on May 16 and will return there this week. Then she will be retired and we will have just one shuttle and, it will fly it's last in July. Then we are at the mercy of the Rusians for space exploration.

Here she is - 2 minutes to liftoff and counting...............

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Hey Bill - any Memorial Day or Veteran tributes in your gallery? I'm sure most here would appreciate such an offering, given the upcoming remembrance of those who served. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Jon,
Above is the closest thing I have currently. It's too close to Memorial Day but I will come up with something well in advance of Veteran's Day. Great idea. You can see all of my paintings and prints that are available by clicking on my website below.
Bill
Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Needs a surfman in the back on the rock.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Needs a surfman in the back on the rock.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. A nice picture should always have a person or subject to dress it up.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Winston Churchill was an avid painter..

He was in an office of some guy in New York who happened to have one of his paintings that he had given to him hanging on the wall... It was a scene of the countryside..specifically.. that of a farm and gently rolling hills.

Mr. Churchill mentioned it..and the man said that even though he liked the painting that it needed something..."a sheep in the foreground perhaps."

A few days later the man recieved a phone call from Churchill's secretary instructing him to immediately have the painting shipped to England at once!!

Horrified that he had insulted the prime minister...but he had no choice but to mail the painting back to him..

A couple weeks later the man received the painting in the mail back from Churchill's office..

There was one small sheep painted in the grassy foreground..
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM

Great story, Frank!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 AM
SS/Veteran

That is a great story. When I started painting, I didn't bother putting people in them. Then, I did Moby Dick and my whaleboat had a full crew and many who saw it complemented me on that feature of it. Now, whenever the subject warants, I add folks. I'm working on one now of a ghost schooner sailing into Jupiter Inlet to the Indian River Lagoon. It has two guys on the beach and one is pointing ouit to the ghostship
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Ghost Schooner

Here's my rendition of the Ghost Schooner of Jupiter Inlet, just down route 1 a ways from here.

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Ghost Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Here's my rendition of the Ghost Schooner of Jupiter Inlet, just down route 1 a ways from here.
Fine job BILL. Trees outstanding.

MULE.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Name:  Yard Sunset.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  119.3 KB
I took this sunset straight down my driveway.