Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Default NJOA: More Info on Free Registry

January, 8 2011
Release Belmar, NJ

On Thursday the full Assembly voted to pass the free saltwater registry bill. The bill requires the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to administer a free saltwater registry program to comply with the federal mandate for data collection. The bill now goes to the Governor for consideration.

A bill becomes law with the Governor's signature or after 45 days if no action is taken. If the House of origin is in recess on the 45th day, the time is extended until it reconvenes. If a bill is vetoed it may become law if the Legislature overrides the veto by a 2/3 vote. A bill that is conditionally vetoed is returned to the legislative body for changes.

"It is certainly difficult to argue against something that is promoted as free," said Anthony P. Mauro, Sr, Chairman, New Jersey Outdoor Alliance (CF). He continued, "But we all know that the registry is free in name only -- it will cost in the area of $600,000 to implement and manage. The question that hasn't been answered is in what form will a free registry cost anglers? We know that the money will likely come from the current Bureau Marine Fisheries (BMF) budget, so will the free registry create a moratorium on a species of fish because we don't have research funding available? Will funding for the free registry come from our artificial reef program, and end reef management?"

Peter Grimbilas, President, NJOA (CF) said, "We may well be pursuing a penny wise, dollar foolish approach to implementing the saltwater registry. We want anglers to be fully aware that a free registry might siphon funds from one area of the BMF to another [area]. If a fishery is closed, or the artificial reef program is abolished because funds are raided from these areas I would venture to say that knowing we have a free registry would be of little consolation to saltwater anglers."

The NJOA (CF) will have additional information about the free saltwater registry bill and its implications in the next few days. The organization will also make available to the angling community an easy means to contact the Governor and request that funding not come from current natural resource management accounts.

Anthony P. Mauro, Sr

Chair
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Conservation Foundation
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Environmental Projects

Join the NJOA, "Help us to help you ensure your outdoor freedoms!"____

JOIN NJOA: http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html

Officers: Ed Markowski, Captain Pete Grimbilas, Jerry Natale, Len Wolgast, PhD., Anthony Mauro

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Default Re: NJOA: More Info on Free Registry

How in the world does it take $600,000 to "administer" the registry. They should bag the card they send out & just allow you to print it out or better yet just record a unique id number. (Many state fising licenses are like that). What is the 600k paying for? Seems to me it should be fairly easy to automate. I know it can't be free - but 600k seems a bit much.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Re: NJOA: More Info on Free Registry

I am happy that we may have a free registry. I would also like to see that our Bureau of Marine Fisheries is properly funded. I keep reading about the NJOA worrying that the money will be taken from the BMF. I think by constantly saying that, legislators will be more apt to think that anglers expect this to happen and then do it. I believe it would be more productive to recommend where we want the money to come from rather than saying where we don't want it to come from. Perhaps the NJOA and other groups should devote their time seeking and promoting another source of funding for the BMF such as a sportsman's lottery or a striped bass license plate.

Paul Haertel