Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 PM

Default Transporting gear

Happy new year everyone.

To start the new year I sadly totaled my chevy cruze. I miss that car as it was my first brand new car and it served me well for 5 years. On the bright side, that allowed me to go out and puchase a truck! My new vehicle is a silverado half ton, crew cab, short bed with tonneau cover. My question is how do you folks transport your gear to your fishing spots? In my car I had to fold the seats down and hope everything would fit. I'm all about putting a front mounted hitch on it and having a removable rod rack, however I live two hours from Sandy Hook, the closest spot to me, and I only get out about once a month. I also plan on doing some pier fishing in Staten Island, as my wife's family is there and it'll give me something to do while she visits the in-laws.

The problem is I'm unsure about transporting rods that far in an exposed carrier. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as transporting equipment securely, in bed or externally?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:59 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Default Re: Transporting gear

Ladder rack with lockable ski racks mounted on top. Get the ladder rack that is rectangle and fits into the 4 stake holes on the bed rail. Second choice, if your bed has slots for 2X4 wood, get heat treated lumber cut to fit and screw in spring loaded broom clips.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:37 AM
SS/Veteran

I have a Silverado 1500 w/ 8' bed / ARE Cap from Suburban Caps Inc, Mawah NJ , in side roof rod racks for all rods ( 2 piece ) except the 8'&9' which can be stored diagonally , I don't live close to the beach ( 2hrs ) driving is lengthy so everything is in side which can be locked up. Take a picture of your set ups & equipment ( presentations , boots , ect ) for insurance purposes .when I get to the beach the out side grill rod rack can be installed in about 3 min which hold 4 rods . inside porta potty , chairs , cooler , change of cloths, It's 8' so inside cap w/ sliding screens I can sleep in for over nigher / when weather gets bad / when the wife has enough of your fishing & hangovers . If I have to from a parking lot to the fishing beach I use a back pack or get a beach permit for 4x4 driving NJ, NY ,to eliminate the walk , but the BEST locations I fish is usually back waters where nobody goes. Tight Lines Hook I
Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

IMO, Lose the tonneau for fishing trips...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 AM

I have a lockable ski rack mounted on the roof rack of my pickup. That works best for me bc I can load my poles without taking them apart, I get to a spot, hop out grab my stuff and go. Be careful bc even though the rack is lockable, someone can steal the reel. There is a rod rack they make that locks the reel as well. But I use my ski rack for snowboarding and I hold my kayak paddles in there as well.
Hook i's setup sounds the best/safest if you don't mind breaking down and resetting your rods.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:01 PM
SS/Veteran

If your only fishing once a month better off just laying the rod in the bed of the truck.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 PM

Bumper mount rack as simple as pvc or bed mount rod carrier like frank has.
Rods in the rack, reels in the truck.
Or if you have a slide open rear window bit on the floor and tips out the window. I'd fabricate some kind of home made rack so the rods are separated so they don't bang around.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
If your only fishing once a month better off just laying the rod in the bed of the truck.
I fish freshwater a lot so whatever I choose will be used for that as well.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 AM

Im a two piece rod kind of person just for ease of transport (st croix)....all gear organized in a rubbermaid bin or two in the cab...smaller two piece rods ride shotgun...one piece rods typically my 7 ft fluke setups ill lay corner to corner in my truck bed...as a reminder any rods you lay in truck bed are better off with the butt end pointing towards the front of the truck...the force of a sudden stop will break a rod tip no problem. Also i have a bed cover as well (be careful closing tailgates or bed covers when gear is not fully inside the bed)...im talking 1/4 inch overhang when you close it and you are breaking something making dumb mistakes is part of the fishing journey but so is sharing from experience
Old 01-26-2016, 04:25 PM
SS/Veteran

This cost me $60 in PVC parts and a few hrs to make.