Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-15-2020, 04:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Do either of you have experience with cutting an old fiberglass blank? That rod in my pic is 11' and it really just sits in the garage. Don't see me using it as is but, if I cut off the butt section and made it a 7' or 8' then maybe it could be used back bay
Don, this rod was 11?6? 1 piece. It had a split cork butt, but the cork was in bad shape and the reelseat was cracked. I cut it above the seat, put some rubber o-rings on the blank, added a shrink tube. it is now 8?6? my new snot slinging rod for my backyard and because it has the old style guides on it, I just taped one of my 700 greenies on with mono.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2020, 05:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks Jim! Looks like I now have a winter project

BTW Joe, went out this morning= skunkeroo! That's 2 in a row.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 PM
SS/Veteran

It doesn?t look pretty, I?am throwing snot in the back, not looking to be on the cover of Salt Life magazine .
Old 01-15-2020, 10:57 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Well, there you go

As to a report, I’ve done a few sweet water trips for crappie with some success. Even that is probably shut down until the next warmup.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 AM

I'm turning my attention toward White Perch. I have yet to catch any of these intentionally. Fisherman Magazine published an article about them last week, and I am determined to figure them out this year. My goal is to make it work in the Toms River estuary somewhere.

We probably won't see fishable weather (at least for soft water fishing) for a month now.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Interesting to see the freshwater report coming in here. The freshwater bite in central NJ has been off the charts for pickerel and largemouth since before New Year's and show's no sign of slowing down. My only obstacle is if a freeze shows up and puts a layer of ice on the lake then I wait it out till it melts then back on the fish again. Honestly, have never seen anything like it this time of year. Using squarebill crankbaits and ripping them through the water which is even more startling, everything I've read says slow it down and size it down. These fish are pissed off and hitting like freight trains. Pickerel around 2 feet, bass up to 5 lbs. and all their little brother and sisters.Never thought of a winter fishery here until I got off the couch and made some casts and voila.

On another note, tried to post some of the pics and it's been a nightmare. Did some research on the site about the in's and out's and still not working. Read previous posts and instructions on the subject and same result. Any help would be so welcome or a direction to somebody. Please PM about this subject, don't want to ruffle feathers in a reporting thread.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 AM

no big deal on posting pictures... the only issue is size.. you have to downsize them if they are too big.

simply click on "go advanced" below and scroll down to "manage attachments".

from there browse to where the picture is and upload.

if it's too big you will get an error and there are dozens of ways to shrink the size, from apps to websites, depending on your method of choice.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:36 PM

First try
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2020, 03:49 PM

Nice pic of the pic
Old 01-19-2020, 04:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
First try
Sweet water sweet fish
Old 02-04-2020, 05:15 PM

I apologize if this question is out of line, it's just that this is the community of insight and info I go to for all things Jersey Striper related. I fish the Hook when I can. My little brother is coming in May to fish a few days. I almost always surf fish, but he is interested in going out on a boat to fish for Stripers, and as he is my little brother I would like to be able to help us make a good choice in that matter. We will also be fishing the Hook and the bay three days.

So if anyone here has a recommendation of a charter boat, not a head boat, that you know and trust, I would be grateful for a trusted recommendation. We would be looking at heading out one day or night, again depending on recommendations. This will be the third week in May 2020.

Thank you all in advance, and again if this sort of question is out of order I apologize.

Diego Britt
Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoBritt View Post
I apologize if this question is out of line, it's just that this is the community of insight and info I go to for all things Jersey Striper related. I fish the Hook when I can. My little brother is coming in May to fish a few days. I almost always surf fish, but he is interested in going out on a boat to fish for Stripers, and as he is my little brother I would like to be able to help us make a good choice in that matter. We will also be fishing the Hook and the bay three days.

So if anyone here has a recommendation of a charter boat, not a head boat, that you know and trust, I would be grateful for a trusted recommendation. We would be looking at heading out one day or night, again depending on recommendations. This will be the third week in May 2020.

Thank you all in advance, and again if this sort of question is out of order I apologize.

Diego Britt
Charters are usually called a 6-pack, taking out 6 people, which helps dividing the cost of the trip. If it?s only two of you it would get expensive. I have gone a few times with a group on The Teachers Pet out of the Highlands. Captain Jerry, he works hard to put you on fish. Maybe there?s a few guys on this site that have boats and wouldn?t mind taking you and your brother out there.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 AM

I haven't used him a while, love the surf for fishing, plus the hit or miss seasickness, but we fished with The Phantom out of the Highlands also good
Captain Gene Nigro
Old 02-05-2020, 04:17 PM

My buddy and I went looking for White Perch on the Mullica this morning. We succeeded in not finding any. Maybe it was the weather.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
My buddy and I went looking for White Perch on the Mullica this morning. We succeeded in not finding any. Maybe it was the weather.
Joe, you have to stick your head under the water to see them