Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

HAPPY, HAPPY,,,, YES I AM,,, I just had a rundown that everything that happened in baltimore and i agree with everything.. there is finaly that light in the tunnel.. i was starting to loose faith in the system,,, but i dont trust pat one iota... i need to see it in writing to beleive it. i am still pi@@ed that pat destroyed 5 years of my life, but the main thing is now to just make it right..THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

HAPPY, HAPPY,,,, YES I AM,,, I just had a rundown that everything that happened in baltimore and i agree with everything.. there is finaly that light in the tunnel.. i was starting to loose faith in the system,,, but i dont trust pat one iota... i need to see it in writing to beleive it. i am still pi@@ed that pat destroyed 5 years of my life, but the main thing is now to just make it right..THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
Old 08-13-2004, 06:03 PM

Would you care to tell us just what it is you're so happy about. You're not often in a good mood!

Walt
Old 08-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HaysWalt:
Would you care to tell us just what it is you're so happy about. You're not often in a good mood!

Walt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>well move the lines in 2 miles makes me real happy.... HAPPY-HAPPY-HAPPY,,, but have to see it to beleive it, a 5 inch scup bag is no big deal,,, thats what we use any-way,,, a 10% increase in fluke quota a year for the next 2,,, WELL IT SHOULD BE 30% BUT ILL TAKE 10, and a trigger where you could bring in 30 000 for 2 week period &lt;scup&gt;, just in case you have a big tow,,,,, this one needs a little work,,,, i rather see the trip limits up to 20000pound a week with a 40000pound 2 week trigger,,, and also it still needs to be adressed about how we got screwed last year and let 3 million pounds of scup swim when they should of been caught. this problem needs to be fixed,,,, but i have to see it all in print to beleive it. but over-all NOT BAD
Old 08-13-2004, 06:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Carl fire up the staple machine. Dennie ya might want to make a little extra. Barry get a new shovel.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:50 AM

Bent, while I understand your point about the scup trip limit, it was a simple thing to get passed (relatively speaking...it was talked about quite a bit actually) and raising the amount was going to meet resistance. This was a no brainer in my book.

Question. How was it somehow the system's fault that you guys didn't land your scup? You are the first person (commercial) that I have heard suggest it was not due to lack of market demand or desire. I personally have heard many commercial fishermen say they simply stopped fishing for them because the price sucked.

We now have it so underages from winter 1 (which is where most of the underage came from, not winter 2) can be transferred to winter 2. That was done and it still was not caught. Was the trip limit in winter 2 such that you landed at the highest rate possible and just couldn't get to the total number (winter 2 + winter 1 transfer)?

Neither in personal conversations nor at the council have I heard it said that if something was different the quota would have been caught. It's actually been several years in a row the whole scup quota was not caught, that's why they put the winter 1 to winter 2 transfer in. Before that, it was lost at the end of each period and couldn't be transferred. (any underage that is)

Capt.TB
Old 08-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Tony Bogan:

Question. How was it somehow the system's fault that you guys didn't land your scup? You are the first person (commercial) that I have heard suggest it was not due to lack of market demand or desire. I personally have heard many commercial fishermen say they simply stopped fishing for them because the price sucked.

Capt.TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>BECAUSE,,,, in the november december quarter,,,,whatever scup does not get landed before dec 31 means ITS LOST,,, IT WONT ROLL OVER to the following years quota.....this year inparticular 2003 into 2004, we were getting 2 dollars or more,,, even up to 240 if i remember right... that was dec 2003.the trip limit was 40 boxs . nmfs should of bumped up those trip limits because there was so much quota left at 40 boxs it wouldnt even come close to getting filled. correct me if im wrong but at least 2.6 or 3 million pounds were left.. if the trip limits were bumped up to 150 boxs probably the price would of been cheaper but maybee not, and thats not for nmfs to work out thats more for the market to work out. so for 150 gallon fuel we were steaming half way around the ocean to find a BODY of scup to just get 40 boxs...when the TRIP LIMITS SHOULD OF BEEN BUMPED UP TO AT LEAST 150 BOXS,,, because there was plenty of quota left that it would of been IMPOSSIBLE TO FILL,,,, so WE END UP LOOSING 3 MILLION or whatever pounds.... i understand theres nothing in place for this but we need to put a reg so this wont happen again
Old 08-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Tony Bogan:
Bent, while I understand your point about the scup trip limit, it was a simple thing to get passed (relatively speaking...it was talked about quite a bit actually) and raising the amount was going to meet resistance. This was a no brainer in my book.

Capt.TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Theres no resistance on that with me. I LIKE IT.. id rather double up my trip limit when the schools are big,,, get em and be done for 2 weeks rather than have to go twice, and my chances for REGULATORY DISCARDS INCREASE!! maybee the trip limits shouldnt be bumped up this year because if this happens i think you may find more boats traveling up here from the east and the south to get there scup, because 300 boxs would be more worth it..rather than 150.... I HOPE IT GOES THRU BECAUSE I THINK IT WILL REDUCE REGULATORY DISCARDS,AND YOU BE ABLE TO CHOOSE YOUR WEATHER WINDOW ALOT BETTER, SO IT WOULD BE MUCH SAFER, AND ALSO WHEN YOU HAVE A LARGER TOW THAN ANTICIPATED, YOU BE ABLE TO HAUL EM TOO THE DOCK, AND ALSO THERE WOULD BE A CLAUSE 150 A WEEK OR 300 FOR 2 WEEKS,,, LET US PLAY THE MARKET HOW WE WISH....AND THE WEATHER...I LIKE IT HOPE IT GOES THRU