Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-18-2003, 10:59 PM
SS/Veteran

I kept about six out of around 230, that's both bass and yelloweyes, all surf.
Phil,
I fished that day early and missed the rest Don't even go there
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM
sun tzu

Phil I caught'em that saturday in the mob scene. Friday afternoon/evening was much, much better at the hook with big fish moving in right after dark Caught a 30# fish on a black bomber as soon as the sun set) Best part on Friday was the part of the hook I was fishing had four guys on the beach, we were gigling like school girls catching fish on every cast, 75-100 yards apart as there were bluefish and stripers in the wash for a mile and they never moved until an hour after dark. Went back to the same spot on Saturday, no kidding, several hundred guys and a madhouse.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:12 PM

2 Bass, 4 weakies
Old 01-20-2003, 12:15 PM

Hugh,I fished that Friday as well.I got to the Hook a little after sunrise.I saw about 6 cars at the restaurant parking lot and saw birds and splashing fish and as I strung my pole one guy left and said they were moving north.I drove to the fisherman's beach and there were maybe six guys.As I walked on to the beach I saw something I had never seen before.Peanut bunker were jumping out of the water onto the beach and birds were picking them off the sand.For about 40 minutes it was an all out massacre of mostly bluefish.On about my fourth cast I hooked a fat 32" bass that I kept.Shortly after the action stopped and I went home.The next morning my son and I started at the Hook but found the fish at Monmouth Beach along with the crowd.Later, however, we moved to Long Branch and spent a couple hours with about 12 guys and had a day my son and I will remember forever.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:16 PM
sun tzu

Phil: Friday mid day I started at chokecherry and caught few, bait everywhere but tide was out. I made some phone calls and e-mails from my car (e-mailed Tim Surgent and told him to join me at the hook because it was gonna be a masacre, called Vinny told him, etc) no one wanted to go so at about 3 I headed to Beach B (secret spot) climbed the wall and was into fish on every cast (caught a bass or a blue on 37 consecutive casts, the last 5 I was on my cell phone talking to Vinny begging him to show)this continued well after dark.

Next morning went to the same beach with my brother. It was a mob scene, had bluefish in for about a minute I and a couple of others caught bluefish, but I was nearlt talked, snagged and drown by the decending mob who had been onm the breakwall with binoculars. My brother and I went south, about half a mile south of the Sea Bright municipal building, and caught fish all day. Good times, but I fish alot and was party to only 5 ocean all outblitizes this fall. Had lots in the bay in the early fall
Old 01-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Allen

That was one hell of a weekend.. That Friday 11/1 I was on the Sea Hunter, did nothing in the bay, but eventually rounded the hook and headed down the beach to witness one of the largest masses of birds as far as the eye could see from the Fisherman's Beach south into Sea Bright.. We had fish boiling right under the boat, literally in the boat's wake of the drift hammering the peanuts.. We stayed with the fish all day, the boat completely limited out on bass, and all the blues ya'd want.. I caught something like 4 or 5 limits, kept only a couple though.. Fishing was sick..

That night I got home, I made some phone calls, BobP and Hugh both got in contact with me and told me of the action that continued into the dark further South.. I made a few more calls, and eventually decided I was gonna take my boat out, along with my buddy Brian.. Nobody else wanted to go - so we made the ride.. Right outside Manasquan Inlet at roughly 7:45 on 11/2 we met some scattered birds, working and diving occasionally, we put the jigs on, and it was gator sized blues for the next 2 hours, plus 4 bass up to 35" from there to the Squan Hills.. Decided to head north, to where we were the day before.. Got up into Elberon/Deal/Long Branch area, saw massive packs of birds right in on the beach, and on the jetty tips.. We put the top water plugs on, mostly pencil poppers and small swimmers, and hammered bass - all bass for the next 4 hours from 30' into the surfline.. The guys on the beach were catching as many as we were - adn there were only maybe a dozen boats working the massive blitz.. I lost count at 50 bass that day, and we caught at least that many blues.. It was wild fishing, every cast at points..

Epic day, those that witnessed that blitz will be talking about it for years!

As far as blitzes go, I had 3 in the ocean surf in ocean county, and 4 in the boat in both Raritan and SH Bays, and in the ocean itself..

Outside of those blitzes, fishing ******

GO NAVY!
KEYBOARD COWBOY!
E-Mail:
Allen@stripersurf.com
Old 01-20-2003, 07:03 PM

I was luckly enough to pick that Thursday and Friday as days to take off from work. I can't count the fish I caught Thursday and Friday at the Hook or Saturday and Sunday down the beach a bit but it was an exciting time, Its been a long time since we had that sort of fishing at the Hook and hopefully it will be repeated this year

Oh yes before I forget, Allen. The first thing I caught on that Friday morning was, you guessed it, a fluke.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Man, you guys are killing me. I haven't got into a good all out blitz, in a while. I guess I need a couple friends with cell phones. My journal said I fished that morning in SG with a couple nice bass and a couple blues. I noted in my journal that the surf was loaded with bait and that the table was set for onslaught. Then, go figure this one, the next day I hit Oc. Bch. early with no result but again noted that it was ready to bust open. That afternoon it did down there, as well as other places.. and I couldn't fish that aft. And I think that was the climax of the fall run, unfortunately.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Allen

When there's bait, highish pressure, cool-cold temps with a NW wind, water temps in the 50's, there should be a blitz somewhere.. Over those days conditions never varied much from teh above conditions, and the fish just continued to move South By Sunday that weekend we had a strong NNE wind in place, and the fish scattered, only to pop up further South later that week where we enjoyed blitz fishing literally 3 minutes from my doorstep in Ortley

GO NAVY!
KEYBOARD COWBOY!
E-Mail:
Allen@stripersurf.com
Old 01-22-2003, 12:17 AM

I missed Friday, but Sat. morning was just dumb luck. I met a buddy at 7-11 in Long Branch at 4:30 for a cup of coffee, then took a spin around the corner to check out a little spot I used to fish.

1,2,3,...10 casts....

A couple of small peanuts on my treble....

Whew, a little chillier than I thought.

Well, let's get the *%$# outta here.

It was as if it was someone else saying it.
(actually it was my buddy)

We took a ride toward the East, made a few turns, and found what appeared to be a safe spot to park.

Time to put on the waders, for me at least, but my pal's goin with rubber boots. He bolts to the water while I casually stuff my 5 sweatshirts into the front of my waders and gather my gear.

Then, suddenly, I hear it.

YOYO

My buddies voice is crackin' like Peter Bradys'.
Adrenaline does funny things to a man.
I now begin my uncoordinated semi-sprint/stumble
toward Peter with all of my loose ends still flapping. The daylight is almost non-existant but just enough to see stuff goin on.
My buddy is standing next to another guy, and both are hooked up and giggling. Now I attempt to simply tie on a popper.
Adrenaline does funny things to a man.
Can you believe I tied 4, yes 4 bad knots while these other guys were on their 2nd or third fish By the time I started fishing, the light was better and I realized that it really didn't matter about the bad knots or, hell, nothing really mattered except for the fact that there were 100's of nice size bass and a few slammer blues mixed in, right in front of us for almost 2 hours
It'll be tough to top that day....

Tight lines all
Old 01-22-2003, 10:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Boy it sure is hard to tie the simplest(most routine) knots when it is all going down right in front of you isn't it? Even when you compose yourself it doesn't seem to help too much. It almost comical.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Allen

After the first few fish that adrenaline washes away, and I typically calm down a bit..

That morning was COLD.. I had to re-tie so many times that day, that the entire deck of my boat in certain spots had a few plugs laying around, jigs everywhere, and spools of 40# ande leader material unwound and lyaing all over the place..

For 50+ fish? I was well worth our safety

GO NAVY!
KEYBOARD COWBOY!
E-Mail:
Allen@stripersurf.com
Old 01-23-2003, 09:44 AM

See you guys in the spring!!!!

2- Bass out of somewhere b/w 120 & 150
----------------------------------
1- 8 lb Weakfish that I got the sh*ts from...
6 - bluefish out of ??? 700???
1 - Really Nice Porgie for the Pan
Old 01-23-2003, 03:00 PM
SS/Veteran

KB,
Are those numbers from boat and surf or just surf? That sure is a lot of blues.
Where did you get the weak from and on what? Did you live line that bugger?