Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:19 PM
SS/Platinum

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob ECT:
Fish Tank if you don't know that you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread It doesn't get anymore basic then that.

Hocus, what the matter don't like the numbers when they don't suit you? According to NMFS on Commercial data "Comprehensive surveys of all coastal states have been conducted since 1951" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This post just shows how *******g ignorant you are. "Comprehensive Surveys" are trawl surveys, that's where they go out and survey the stocks with a survey boat, it doesn't have a freaking thing to do with landings or catches.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:21 PM
SS/Platinum

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Hocus, what the matter don't like the numbers when they don't suit you? " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds to me it's you that don't like the numbers when they don't suit YOU!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Hey Dumba$$, that qoute is from the NMFS on how commercial "Landings", yes that's right "Landings" have been calculated. It has nothing to due with stock assessments.

Next time before making a fool of yourself you should ask me where it came from You're too funny!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 PM

The data for a lot of species, even on the com side, isn’t very good until 1994. In some cases dealer data and other state reporting systems aren’t very good until about the 1970’s.

The rec side is even more problematic in these types of squabbles. Thee isn’t any real blame here, because no one has any idea what has been landed in a lot of different species. Even if you did, most fisheries weren’t “managed” until recently and in many cases BOTH sectors took what the scientists told them was OK. The failure , if there is any, is in the lack of data, lack of management, and pure dumb luck as far as recruitment goes. Finger pointing get ya pretty much nowhere
Old 03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
SS/Veteran

O.k. Bob, so how do they formulate those rec. #'s?
Better yet, what site may I go to, to find out.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey Bob ECT......

What is in the new Amendment?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 PM

You sound nervous Picker Ole Buddy.... maybe you should be.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:40 PM
SS/Veteran

Nervous????
You mean about Amendment 14???
Old 03-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Fish Tank here's all the info you want on MRFSS

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/recreational/index.html

Basically it's not the best survey, but it's the only thing we have right now. It was never designed to give concrete numbers, it was designed to show trends in the fishery. Unfortunately these days it's used to provide real numbers because it's all that's available.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fish Picker:
Nervous????
You mean about Amendment 14??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some interesting things/options will be considered in the new flounder Amendment. I hear some positive things but you never know until it's done right? You got lucky by 1 vote a few months ago.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:01 PM

It’s also time for the next peer reviewed assessment of the fluke stock….scheduled for spring I believe
Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
SS/Veteran

You mean when your petition was denied??

How is that lucky...ole pal?
Old 03-09-2005, 05:07 PM

You guys got one guy to flip to your side then run out of the meeting like a little girl Don't worry, it's not a done issue, it served it's purpose well
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Not sure what you mean but I guess if you keep talking about it you will continue to get members.
How else could you pay for a petition?
Well like you said it is not a done issue.
Hope you dont have any overages you might have to go back to a 17 inch fish.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
SS/Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob ECT:

Basically it's not the best survey, but it's the only thing we have right now. It was never designed to give concrete numbers, it was designed to show trends in the fishery. Unfortunately these days it's used to provide real numbers because it's all that's available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob thanks for the link, I appreciate you sending me there...
BUT!!!

"It's the only thing we have right now."
"It was never designed to give CONCRETE numbers
Unfortunately these days it's used to provide real numbers because it's all that's available.[/

They're doing phone surveys and on site interviews???

THAT IS NOT SCIENCE!!!
That is a poor excuse for an attempt "TO KNOW" {ie. science translated from Latin!!!}

Aside: Now I know why BENT types in caps. all the time

The comms. are liscensed, and weighed. We have "concrete" information on their landings. We know who is fishing in the comm sector. That is data that may be interpreted scientifically, so WE KNOW, what is coming out of the ocean!

We, the recs. have as many bad apples if not more than the comms. because the comm's livlihood is jepeordized if they break the rules. What do we loose? DEFINITELY NOT A LICSCENCE REVOCATION!!!

I remember the tedium of having to count 3 times, the insects I collected in the Lackawanna river, under grant from the Chesepeak Bay Authority, and accurately give them knowledge of a corridior that is a confluence to the Susquehanna river. I sampled, personaly in conjunction with a graduate level professor, 3 different locales, along the watercourse.
I KNOW SCIENCE!!!
{If it wasn't for calculus I'd be persuing it as we speak!!!}

There is nothing being done right now, that is remotely scientific, by the NMFS, in regard to the rec. sector!!!

The comms. have quotas they must meet!
If they don't they risk loosing their liscence to operate!!!

Finally, the thing that irritates me the most about you and rat, is the fact that you would like to see the demise of a profession for your recreational benefit!!!
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, and again, and again, I've met Fishpicker, Bentrod, and Hocus Pocus!!! These are not people looking to steal your fish!!! These are people looking to make an honest living. I don't frequently resort to wrapping myself in the flag, but as Americans, they have the right to Commercially Fish!!! Who are we, to look at a commercial fisherman, and say to them "You're harvesting my fish!!!"

Likewise, they don't have the right to wipe out a stock.

Comprimise is an option!