Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

If someone could actually account the amount of lives saved by firearms every year, children who were home included I believe it would show how insane this is.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon View Post
If someone could actually account the amount of lives saved by firearms every year, children who were home included I believe it would show how insane this is.
To paraphrase a long-time, warn-out NRA retort; "Guns dont save lives; people do!"
BillH
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

My wife and I walk in the woods nearly every day, mostly to scout our known patches and explore the new. Yesterday we drove 30 miles and walked in a number of places looking for tell-tale tracks in the mud and sand to find nothing. When we got home there were seven turkeys on our lawn, three of which were boss gobblers, long beards that would have made any hunter's day!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Your right Bill, I should of said people with firearms. Did you take one Frank? You can set up a blind in your bushes. I was watching Outdoor channel yesterday and a guy had a 2 headed decoy, ugly sucker but the big boys seemed to like it.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon View Post
Your right Bill, I should of said people with firearms. Did you take one Frank? You can set up a blind in your bushes. I was watching Outdoor channel yesterday and a guy had a 2 headed decoy, ugly sucker but the big boys seemed to like it.
No, the season is not open yet. We were just scouting while taking the walk my cardiologist recommends. Another 10 days.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
SS/Veteran

And they say those birds are not smart. They knew you were away scouting and the safest place was in your yard. Leave a copy of the game laws out there and during the season they will disappear all together.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM
SS/Veteran

My daughter Kathy lives on 25 acres abutting Quabin Reservation in Rutland, Ma. She allows hunting on her land, except for a 1acre safe zone and the reservation also allows it.

She has several big flocks of turkeys all Winter and into Spring. She seldom sees one once the season(s) open.
BillH
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM

The sexes don't mix among adult turkeys except for some brief breeding some time in late april/early May. The flocks you see all year are families of poults. During winter the males hang out smoke cigars and lie about their sexual prowess. That is why we see a lot of groups of long beards but they will, or are about to, split up and call hens at dawn. It is not natural for gobblers to go to hens. So you have to overcome that when calling the males. If they have hens, they will often answer but not come. It is beginning to look like the breed is going to be on time in that it will occur during the hunting season. Last year, on the other hand, spring came early and the process was over by the time the hunt season began and a lot of us did poorly. Spring turkeys is very much like the November 15 deer rut where the hunting is better if they are breeding. Like Merlin, they get stupid when breeding.

Also, hens will often accompany gobblers when they come in. If a hen sees you, she will tell the gobbler and the whole shebang will haul. It is common for a hen to come in ahead of the boss and you have to be careful not to let her know you are there. They will cut your nuts off if you shoot a hen. Its bearded gobblers only. Turkey hunting is the funnest thing with clothes .
Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
SS/Veteran

"Like Merlin, they get stupid when breeding." Why me? Am I the only one who was thinking with the little head between the ages of sixteen and sixty? We could change that sentence of yours to wanting to breed because I did strike out a few times.

Happy Patriots Day! I wonder if all those guns were registered on Bunker Hill?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Happy Patriots Day. And say a prayer for those killed and injured at the Boston Marathon this afternoon. Senseless terorist bombing.
BillH
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM
SS/Veteran

On the lighter side: I was getting a tooth pulled and thinking of other things to subtract from the procedure at hand. The dentist and his assistant were prepared for a screamer which I have never been. Before this dreaded task I asked him: What does he think the cause is for girls (women) to be growing boobs (breasts) at such a young age and why are young boys (men) getting balled so soon in life which leads to what they call buzz cuts while old guys are paying companies to grow hair? I knew it is a two part question but I had to get it out before every tool in his tool box was in my mouth.

From past experiences I know he is talker that goes on and on the subject presented at first. I have learned to get him on a subject of some interest.

Out of this extraction with a mouth full of gauze as he shook my hand on the way out (he had not done that before) his answer was heredity. I did not buy that as the assistant wanted to speak and in a somewhat muffled voice asked her. She said as if she was about to burst forth maybe violating some rule that it was the hormnes in the chicken and milk and went on to mention neices and her daugthers as examples.

I did not care at this point because I was not looking forward to when the drugs wore off but you have to admit if you are still with me it was a good subject change to a lighter side?

What is we all talking about oh ya hunting and shootng?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Enjoyed readin' that MERL.----It's on the right thread----After all, HUNTIN' for a bad tooth, and shootin' it with a needle in the roof of your mouth is right up there with Grizzly huntin'----so is huntin' for well endowed Does.

MULE.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM

They have been saying for years that it is harmones in the food that juices up female development. I read somewhere so it must be true , that in Puerto Rico they don't have a hormone limit for the chickens which are popular there. Hence, Peurto Rican girls really give the designers at Filene's fits.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
SS/Veteran

They hunt for chickens in PuertoRico or just shoot em, Frank. Just asken.
BillH
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
SS/Veteran

No Bill, they take the kitchen cabinets doors off and run the opening over with chicken wire. They raise the birds from chicks until ready for slaughter. Grab the bird on the choosen day and twist the next until it snaps, dip the bird in sink with hot hot water and then pluck. Birds that might escape run the streets of very hungry people and do not make it far.