Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Boat fisherman

I guess there is no other way to deal with this but for boat fishing and surfcasting to have the same size and bag limits never made any sense to me. In boats they cull through 25 stripers to fill their limit which is all done very easily. The shore fisherman, on the other hand, catches one 25 inch bass, has to wait another month before he sees another. Two worlds -- one regulation.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Im going to be a traitor and put my boat in the salt tomorrow....
Old 06-25-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I guess there is no other way to deal with this but for boat fishing and surfcasting to have the same size and bag limits never made any sense to me. In boats they cull through 25 stripers to fill their limit which is all done very easily. The shore fisherman, on the other hand, catches one 25 inch bass, has to wait another month before he sees another. Two worlds -- one regulation.
+100
Old 06-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Surfcasting and boat fishing are two different sports and mixing them in competitions screws up the results. One time I won the RI Striper Tourney surf with a 36-pounder when a boat angler won his section with a 55-pounder. He won a big runabout with outboard motor. Mister Smarty with his runty 36 won a lawn mower. What surfcasters that you know actually mow their lawns?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:01 AM
SS/Veteran

Shoulda went to the canal. Bunker were easy to net and snag but the bass didn't allow them to be found. Boat ran well though...
Old 06-27-2015, 02:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I'd mentioned in the past how a boater came up inside my cast and asked if I was catching anything. I was in the same place last week, and a guide with a client in front, motored...twice, and very slowly..inside the casts of three of us! I purposely made a cast in front of, and slightly beyond the boat's path, to make a visual point of the boat's proximity to us...kind of a surfcaster's version of "a warning shot across the bow." I did NOT make the cast too close as to suggest I was trying to hit them. It looked as if the man in front was looking straight down into the water...maybe he'd dropped something there earlier? There were lots of rods in the rack, but none in hand. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but I thought their trajectory as rude. Other boats motoring by were close, but at least twice as far as this particular one.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
I'd mentioned in the past how a boater came up inside my cast and asked if I was catching anything. I was in the same place last week, and a guide with a client in front, motored...twice, and very slowly..inside the casts of three of us! I purposely made a cast in front of, and slightly beyond the boat's path, to make a visual point of the boat's proximity to us...kind of a surfcaster's version of "a warning shot across the bow." I did NOT make the cast too close as to suggest I was trying to hit them. It looked as if the man in front was looking straight down into the water...maybe he'd dropped something there earlier? There were lots of rods in the rack, but none in hand. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but I thought their trajectory as rude. Other boats motoring by were close, but at least twice as far as this particular one.
Must have been Jon!
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 06-28-2015, 02:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglsister View Post
Must have been Jon!
I should have...all we caught were dumb dog fish. I'm better off in the canal.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Meister's story about the boater that came up inside his cast is common but not necessarilly typical. I don't think it fair to paint all boating people with the same brush. Truth is, if you think about it, stupidity is endemic. Believe me, if you think about it, a lot of surfmen are dumb as stones. Everywhere you go, you are going to be exposed to world class dumb, behavior that could make a wharf rat puke. Its everywhere. On our highways you see them in your rearview mirror tailgating you. The answer is to have a very long fuse, patience and deep thought about the consequences of escalating hostility. Ours is a world of danger .... surf or boat. Think twice.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Meister's story about the boater that came up inside his cast is common but not necessarilly typical. I don't think it fair to paint all boating people with the same brush. Truth is, if you think about it, stupidity is endemic. Believe me, if you think about it, a lot of surfmen are dumb as stones. Everywhere you go, you are going to be exposed to world class dumb, behavior that could make a wharf rat puke. Its everywhere. On our highways you see them in your rearview mirror tailgating you. The answer is to have a very long fuse, patience and deep thought about the consequences of escalating hostility. Ours is a world of danger .... surf or boat. Think twice.
I agree Frank. I've had VERY few bad experiences with boaters. In some very narrow inlets/breach ways, if 2 boats go through in opposite directions at the same time, they can't help but motor inside your cast. The examples I've given certainly don't represent the majority of boaters.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 AM

One of the things that contributes to aggressive behavior in boating is you can't do anything when a person goes over the line and they know it. Sure, there is some adherence to the golden rule, but a percentage don't give a hoot about what they are doing to you. You really can't chase a boat. Even if you could, what you going to do if you catch um? I am always leary of any boats that get too close because I half expect a transgression of some sort.

Rarer than a hen's tooth is the boatman that is considerate of the shore fishing guy. My old buddy Ray Jobin, (Squid Beamont) was one of those guys -- one in a million.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 PM

One of the things I noticed when fishing with friends in boats at night (and these friends are usually NOT surf fisherman) is that really have a hard time judging casting distances for a surf caster - they have it in their minds that the guys on shore can cast "about" the same distance as they can with their boat rod.

One spot in particular in DE get shared by both shore and boat anglers at night. There are some easy landmarks to show distance from the shore anger - and I have had friends pull the DAMN boat out further - I explain that when I fish from shore I am casting to spots on the far side of the boat. No ill will by the boat angler here - just a lack of complete understanding.

Plus - I usually show them that their catch rate goes way up if the do not have the boat go over the spot where eh bass like to feed - back another twenty yards and cast means fish on (sometimes)
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 AM
SS/Veteran

For me if I wanted to fish from shore I'd do so. I've been using the boat in the salt the times I can't devote a good trip to the surf. I much prefer using it as a tool to hit all the offshore stuff you can't cast to. Unreachable bass. Only time I fish near shore with my boat is for tog.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Surf or boat there are ding-dongs in both groups but I think the percentage of goons in boat fishing leads. "Johnny, grab that!"
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM

If boat fishing is more effective and I believe that it is. And night fishing is more productive, and I believe that it is, why don't boat fishermen fish at night? Squid Beaumont and Arnold Laine were the only boatmen who fished at night. And I don't have to tell you that they did quite well.