Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Screwed bt Microsoft

Bob, I am continuing to see a pattern that you may be unhappy with Microsoft.....
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm still gonna have to disagree. Here's a quote from a researcher who is "Pro PC" from Princeton:

"There is still, at this writing, no virus that infects OS X. But virus-infected documents and e-mail attachments can be transmitted through OS X to Windows computers. Prevent that by using anti-virus software on your Mac."

Hacking a MAC is NOT impossible. BUT, You need to invade the system in three places BEFORE you can ever have a chance to corrupt anything. The plus side to OSX is that you can completely secure your shell from the default security provided:

Limit users:
Quote:
- #Port 22
+ Port 2200

- #Protocol 2,1
+ Protocol 2

- #PermitRootLogin yes
+ PermitRootLogin no
Prevent root from logging in remotely:
Quote:
$ ssh -p 2200 xxxxx@yourhost.local
Restrict users that can login, & restricts users from logging in via remote access:
Quote:
AllowUsers codepoet

ssh 22/tcp
+ ssh 2200/tcp
Finally: It's not impossible to hack OSX. I'm not denying that. BUT, It can't be done with keyloggers, spybots, or trojans. In order to execute a program, the administrator password must be entered. All a spybot or trojan needs on a PC is a power cable

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM

I too can only recommend Macs. I've been using them for the past 8 years and have never ever had a virus.

You will love their intuitive operating system - it's so easy to use, extremely powerful and comes with a ton of preloaded software. Virus' are not even an issue and the new MacBooks which are awesome won't break the bank.

There are a million reasons to switch to Macs, Windows is a nightmare and so confusing. The new Vista is just a very bad imitation of the mac operating system. Trust me, I have converted a whole bunch of Windfows users and non of them have regreted their decision to switch. And don't forget, Macs allow you to perfectly install and run Windows on them. I just installed it on a friends computer and it runs perfect.

Check out this link with the Top 10 Reasons why you should switch:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Top_Ten_Reas...witch_to_a_Mac

Robin
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 AM

Macs are a better product-- . You pay for the mac and not every peripheral component is designed to work with a mac. Working with/on them for 13 years. I have seen lots of positive things issues and a few negative things about them. They are good, but lets not anoint them as the perfect solution. What you say about the OS being secure is true. However, Macs still can be hacked, the easiest way is to go through the installed apps. especially cross platform ones like Exploder, Microsoft Office for Mac, email clients, quicktime, realplayer, macromedia, etc. There are lots of things a Mac can not do. There is almost no upgrading unless the component is from Apple. Parts are EXPENSIVE and yes, they do break.
Dont get me wrong I am no shill for Dell ( they are all Advertising), But, I am not buying a ring for my Mac either.
What I think is funny and quite a running joke within the hacker community is that COX/COMCAST has supplanted AOL as the vehicle for hackers to gain access. Yet, they are getting a free pass form the public computing community.
Hackers laugh at the firewall protection of those.
Want to help your computer withstand viruses:
Get off Norton and Macafee go to a smaller company -- CA is excellent
Use a offsite email ( yahoo or gmail for less important emails/ forum/ online registration)
Lock down your wireless router: Dump the WEP security, use MAC (different) Filtering; Use the highest level firewall settings and keep it updated ( linksys is decent)
Get away from Common ISPs: COX/COMCAST are terrible.
When not online: TURN OFF your computer-- leaving it continuously connected is like a car with the keys in the ignition in long term parking.
sorry for the rambling..
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
SS/Veteran

You computer guys think you are so smart....
I bet you cant change colors on things called fonts can you? I can.
Ha ha!

Last edited by BennyB : 03-27-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
You computer guys think you are so smart....
I bet you cant change colors on things called fonts can you? I can.
Ha ha!
fonts? fonts are for fa.. oops.. not PC *LOL*....

nah, we just worry about bytes and caches and ports and ...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Sure we can!

We can do lots of things.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Bob,

If you can boot from the CD, you should be able to access your e-mail file to back that up.

I have had these sorts of things happen before also. So long as I can get everything back from backup, I usually just reinstall. It is a phenomenal major PITA.

I have also had luck with recovery console a few times.

The basic problem is, this type of thing does happen too much.

I feel your pain.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Sounds like your registry is corrupted.
First thing you should always have, a way to boot your PC and have the ability to read the data off the partitions, use this guys tutorial http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ to build a boot disk that will be kinda like a mini XP on a cd. It will let you boot and read your NTFS partitions, copy files, ect. It also has network support so if you dont have a usb disk you can copy the files to a network share (email files in particular for you). If you have a backup of your system state or registry, you should be able to restore that and be backup and running.
Most of these file corruptions occur when a hard disk has bad secorts or intermittent power failures, or bad ram. I purchased all very high end components when I built my computer and it has been running 24\7 since xp came out. I forget the date, but maybe sometime in 2002? Thats around 5 years. I tried going the mac route before, basically I wouldn't buy one for myself as theres too much I need to do that Mac doesn't support. I would buy a mac for someone who doesn't know how to work a computer, like an old grandpa or someone, it's more of an appliance to read email, the internet and to do basic computer stuff without knowing much about it. The new macs are getting better at being more flexible, but apple is a hardware company, and the unix kernal is good, but I'm more of a DIY guy.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM
SS/Veteran

YEAH BUT CAN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS?!?
hA hA
OOPS
Old 03-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
YEAH BUT CAN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS?!?
hA hA
OOPS
I think that's actually a violation of the user agreement. Kinda like jugs.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM

I've been getting it daily from Cisco for 2 years now.Cisco
Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
it's more of an appliance to read email, the internet and to do basic computer stuff without knowing much about it.
and..

- still the top choice for graphic designs
- still the top choice for music producers

everything you see around you has an advertisement. those ads are made by graphic designers. the majority of the designers i know use mac's. also, music is a part of everyones life no matter where you look. every major studio i've ever worked in has a mac. get my drift?

i can do absolutely everything i was able to do on my pc.. that includes graphic design/animations, 3d rendering, music arrangement/mastering, and some others. everything i do comes out better & without headaches. i haven't had one spybot, trojan, virus, or file corruption. you tell me.. what's the safer investment?

a close friend of mine has been using mac's for over 10 years now for all his graphic design needs. he's never had to reformat, never had a virus, & never had a hardware failure.

i'll stick with mac & osx, thanks

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 03-28-2007, 02:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Also with Macs, if you empty the trash and don't secure it, the files are GONE forever. No trace. There is no file recovery software to retrieve unsecured deletion.

I learned this the Hard way!!!

8 unburned sittings, bye-bye.

That was a 3G oops.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAOSIN View Post
and..

- still the top choice for graphic designs
- still the top choice for music producers
Using programs made by apple?
I'm not saying mac doesn't let you do these things. I'm just saying that there are things that I couldn't do with a mac that I could do with my PC and I prefer to use a windows based system vs. a mac.
Sorry to seem like I was debating.