Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Windows Vista

New computer is here, and all I can say is WOW.

Everything flies, especially loading web pages, Quickbooks could still be a little faster, but it is a gorrilla of a hog program.

I am extremely impressed with Windows Vista, i agonized over the descision to switch OS, but i made the correct descision.

All of my software is loaded up and running, the only problem was with Chief Architect. They utilize a Hasp hardware lock, and the driver shipped was incompatible with Vista. Their web site had an updated driver, and it installed perfectly. I had a copy of Virtual machine 2003, and Vista immediatly informed me of compatibility issues. XP would have had me install a non-compliant program and figure that out on my own.

Networking on this computer was automatic, as soon as it powered up, everything worked. About the only issue was MS renamed the default workgroup from MSHOME to WORKGROUP, so I had to do a network wizard on the other machines. Once done, everything is working flawlessly.

I can only imagine how easy it would have been to set up my original home network with such ease.

While surfing for tips, I came accross the next "must have item". Due out this fall is Windows Home Server. Automatic backups done daily on each networked computer with up to 7 tetrabytes of storage. Secure access to your network from a remote location without a VPN or the hassles. Some pretty amazing stuff on the near horizon.

Windows Aero is pretty wild, there are a host of neat new performance features, and it remained close enough to XP to learn in a few days of click and experiment.

Everyday i learn something new about it, and all i can say is this is no Windows ME, not even close or a fair comparison.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Windows Vista

Anyone else actually give Vista a fair shot by running it on their machine?

The more i play with this OS, the better i like it.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Thumbs down Re: Windows Vista

I did a couple of times. First and foremost I can't find the single click option.
I don't due double click!

Next was some of the software I use had to be upgraded to versions I don't like to be able to run on Vista.

All the prompts drove me nuts " are you sure, really sure, must be an admin... Well duh, I'm on an admin account and if I didn't want to do it I wouldn't have told it too...

I still use win classic view in xp and I could get the view close to what I wanted in vista.

I guess the bottom line is I not ready to change as I see no advantage to make the move so I'll stick with xp pro for now.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Just brought home the new Gateway to replace the Dell that got fried by lightning the other night. Was very hesitant about Vista, but it's not the worst ever... Jess is right; asking for permission for everthing really makes that MAC commercial look a little more serious... but, compared with how slow the old machine was, this one's a breeze (quadroupling your RAM will do that I guess - the Dell was 6 years old).

Even so, I'll keep dreaming of a MAC in the future...

Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Re: Windows Vista

You should turn off your PC every night to save energy and reduce carbon emissions. I read in today's paper that if companies in the US shut down all their PC's every night it's the equivalent of removing 2.8 million cars from the road.

You should also shut down your PC and DISCONNECT your cable or DSL modem when there is a "thunderboomer" around. Just pull the Ethernet cable out of the back of the modem and your PC will be safe. UPS/Surge protectors are a joke, I have all my equipment including the cable modem, connected to three expensive UPS units but I don't trust them at all.

I read the Reviews of MS Vista Upgrade today on Newegg.com.

I won't be doing that until the second or third release.

I will be buying and installing OS-X Leopard as soon as its released in October.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Administrator

There is no tail pipe on my PC's so there for I have no carbon emissions.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
I will be buying and installing OS-X Leopard as soon as its released in October.
That makes two of us I can't wait

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Disabling the security prompt is so easy.

Click the start button
Click your user icon
click turn user account control on or off
(Then you get a security prompt which you allow)
Uncheck the box, click OK.

You get a restart prompt, done.

As more and more people use OS-X, it may actually pay for hackers to begin thinking about exploiting the vulnerabilities of the OS. Nothing is foolproof. Microsoft is the largest and most lucrative target out there. If you want to hack into people's computers, do you go after potentially 93% or 3%?

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...abilities-rise

As far as single click.... got me.

As far as lightning goes, i am wondering if FIOS is vulnerable? You have fiberoptic cable (Nonconductive in theory) running to a network interface and then CAT5 running to a modem.

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

you probably have more vulnerability to lightning through power than the network. and if it's a close strike a LOT of things become conductive that you wouldn't think of...including air
Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 AM

Just an update.

Vista is by far and away the most stable MS OS yet.
Many of the features that the next OS-X tauts are already available.
Search is one powerful tool.

Too many different options and too much to upgrade between them.
Vista needs powerful hardware, and a robust system. upgrading needs to be done with care.

The security prompts are a bit annoying at first, but when you get used to them they are really not bad at all. This does make for an inherently more secure OS. I have learned to live with them, and even appreciate them.

I still can't wait till Home server comes out, i have been waiting for a product like that for years, and preliminary reports say it's a winner.

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

OS-X Tiger has a very powerful search feature already, it's called Spotlight.

Here's an interesting article. From what I'm hearing factory installed Vista on a new, more powerful PC with Vista verified peripherals is fine. The Vista Upgrade on the other hand is an abomination.

Quote:
6 months later, a report card on Vista
By JESSICA MINTZ, AP

SEATTLE - Chris Pirillo leaned away from his webcam and pointed to his printer/scanner/fax machine, which stopped scanning and faxing after he installed Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows Vista operating system.

"I can't live in Vista if the software that I use in my life for productivity does not work," said Pirillo, in the third minute of a 52-minute video he posted on YouTube.

Nearly six months after it launched, gripes over what doesn't work with Vista continue, eclipsing positive buzz over the program's improved desktop search, graphics and security.

With Vista now shipping on most new computers, it's all but guaranteed to become the world's dominant PC operating system ? eventually. For now, some users are either learning to live with workarounds or sticking with Vista's predecessor, Windows XP.

Pirillo is geekier than the average user. He runs a network of technology blogs called Lockergnome, and was one of several "Windows enthusiasts" Microsoft asked for Vista feedback early on.

Still, Vista tested even Pirillo's savvy. He fixed the hobbled printer and other problems by installing VMware, a program that lets him run XP within Vista. But when his trial copy expired, he decided the solution was too clunky ? and too expensive.

He "upgraded," as he called it, back to XP.

Users' early complaints aren't a threat to Microsoft's dominance in operating systems. The various flavors of Windows run 93 percent of PCs worldwide, according to the research group IDC. Last fiscal year, Windows accounted for about a third of Microsoft's total revenue of $44.3 billion.

Industry analysts say Vista adoption is plodding along as expected, with most consumers and businesses switching over as they replace old hardware with new. IDC analyst Al Gillen said he expects Vista will be installed on the vast majority of computers in about five years, the time it took for XP to reach 84 percent of PCs.

It's too early for industry watchers to know exactly how many people are using Vista. At the same time, it's hard to gauge Vista's success by comparing it to XP, because the PC market has grown tremendously in the last six years.

In early May, Microsoft said it had distributed 40 million copies of Vista, which costs $199 to $399 depending on the version. But it did not specify the number actually sold through to consumers, versus those shipped to computer makers like Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc.

Analysts noted that as many as 15 million of those copies could represent upgrade coupons given to XP buyers during the holidays, before Vista went on sale. Microsoft would not say how many of those customers installed the new system, but Forrester Research analyst J.P. Gownder estimated just over 12 million U.S. consumers would have Vista by the end of the year, out of about 235 million PCs in the country.

As for the compatibility problems, 2 million devices ? such as cameras and printers ? now work with Vista, said Dave Wascha, a director in the Windows Client group.

"We are way ahead with Windows Vista right now than where we were when we shipped Windows XP," he said.

Still, it's an uphill battle: Vista interacts differently with programs and peripherals than previous versions of Windows, and some companies have chosen not to spend time and money updating older products. Printer makers, Wascha noted, draw profits from ink cartridges and services, and have little motivation to invest in updating drivers for old hardware.

As a result, many early adopters have made a sport of grumbling about the one device or program they still can't get to work.

And they've ranted about other things, from how hard it is to open Vista's snap-together plastic retail box, to what they see as arbitrary decisions on Microsoft's part to hide common settings and features.

One of the most common annoyances: Microsoft's user account control feature, designed to protect unwitting Web surfers from spyware and viruses that would otherwise install themselves on the hard drive.

Dan Cohen, chief executive officer of Silicon Valley startup Pageflakes, bought a Vista laptop a couple of months ago. After one too many pop-up windows warning of possible threats from the Internet, Cohen switched the control feature off.

Now he gets pop-ups warning him that turning off UAC is dangerous.

"I feel more secure ? and more irritated," he said. When Cohen went to buy his wife a new computer in April, he stuck with XP on a laptop from Lenovo Group Ltd.

Some analysts say Microsoft hasn't put enough energy into marketing Vista's benefits to consumers. But it may also be the case that Vista's biggest benefits are ones that cause average PC users' eyes to glaze over, like improved security.

"Everybody wants there to be a repeat of Windows 98 ? the excitement, the sales volume, the rate of growth and everything else," said Michael Cherry, an analyst for the independent research group Directions on Microsoft.

At the time of Windows 98's launch, broadband access to the Internet was catching fire and consumers were pumped up about getting a faster, cheaper computer.

There's no such compelling reason to buy Vista, said Gownder, the Forrester analyst.

Businesses, like consumers, are in no hurry to upgrade. Before the business version of Vista landed late last year, a Forrester survey of about 1,600 companies found that 31 percent planned to upgrade within a year, and 22 percent more planned to be running it within two years.

Most businesses think those plans now seem too aggressive, said Forrester analyst Benjamin Gray.

While corporate technology departments are looking forward to some of Vista's security features and easier administration tools, there's little reason to switch if more secure PCs end up choking on a critical piece of software.

"They're waiting for Microsoft to bless it with a service pack," said Gray, referring to a major software update that fixes bugs.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, a member of Microsoft's Vista Technical Adoption Program, started evaluating Vista in January 2006. Today, only 300 of the hospital's 30,000 desktop computers run the software.

Karen Malik, associate director of technical services, said the rollout is behind schedule because several key programs still aren't compatible, including patient scheduling software. Malik knows the software vendors will catch up to Vista ? someday. In the meantime, she's not rushing.

"We know eventually we're going to need to move to this operating system," Malik said. "It's not really an option."

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

I have no intentions of upgrading either of my other 2 computers.

Just running the upgrade advisor leads me to conclude it is not a good idea.

i wonder how many of the people having all kinds of problems installing Vista never even bothered to check their system compatibility beforehand.

My only Driver issue was with a real old scanner. It was tough finding an XP driver, and It saved everything as a .bmp, so upgrading it was actually a favor

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Administrator

FYI
Doing a fresh install of Vista apposed to an upgrade on XP is the best way to go..

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Re: Windows Vista

Is it still possible to purchase Windows XP Home or Professional on CD?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

The egg has all the flavors you want and then some

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!