Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Senior Fellow

Default Fall Tourney Time

There are quite a few boat fishing tournaments going on through the summer but the majority of the surf tourneys start in Sept and continue into November. Our NCBBA Red Drum Tournament is Oct 25-28th on Hatteras. It is the event that drove me to get more involved with NCBBA more then any other single thing. Although I have come to appreciate all of the other things we do as an Association the tournament is still a highlight for me. The one limiting factor is that it runs for 60 hours continuous and I believe that makes it difficult for many who would like to fish it. If you are traveling any distance it pretty much requires a 4-5 day commitment.

That being said I wonder if the very thing I like most about our RDT is what makes it difficult for others. To me 3-4 days of round the clock beach adventure, on the beach of your choice, with friends is tough to beat. I'm interested in feedback on the format and duration to see if there is something we may be overlooking. Like I said, beginning shortly there will be a number of terrific surf tournaments, team, individual, open, invitational, one day to 3 day. Do you fish tournaments and if so what is your preferred format?

We have openings for the NCBBA Red Drum Tournament in October. If you're interested go to the website and sign up. It is a great time. If your schedule does not allow you may want to consider some of the other upcoming tournaments on the Outer Banks. There are enough different venues, formats and dates to satisfy different appetites.

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 08-16-2017, 05:19 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Fall Tourney Time

I hope you get good responses.... but you don't want mine (my views on tournaments should be well known )
Old 08-16-2017, 06:38 PM

Al,

Seriously, the format you have sounds great, but not having experience actually running a tourney, I'm not sure.

Our local club actually cancelled one tourney for all time, due to poor turnout.

Obviously, the big money tourneys attract pros and a lot of attention. But as to the other types, I'd be curious to learn what makes one more successful than another (not that I'd enter )
Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Senior Fellow

Rob,

Our current goal for participant number is 300 and we generally come close to that. On Hatteras Island there are tournaments that draw up to 720 participants. The biggest is the Cape Hatteras Anglers Club invitational with the 120 six member teams. Ours is an individual tournament, no sessions just open fishing within an approximately 14 mile stretch of beach for 60 hours. Although I have and will continue to fish some team tournaments, if invited, and enjoy them for the challenge and socializing I prefer our format. If you choose to fish alone or with 20 friends the options are available. The group that I fish with is sometimes as many as 16 while at times, particularly through the night, you may be fishing basically alone. Several of them I see only at tournament time each year and one drives from Texas to join his brother and the rest of the crew. We normally stick to our pre scouted, chosen area but don't do anything, other than sharing meals, by schedule or in an organized format.

I have been judging two sessions for the last three years and that is nearly as much fun as fishing. in 2015 I got to measure citation drum caught by two generations in one family in which the third, and senior, generation had caught another earlier. I can tell you that was a thrill. Even though our tournament is our single largest fund raiser, with the vast majority of the proceeds going back to the anglers and the community, the thing I like most is seeing generations of fishermen, women and children participating in my favorite sport. I guess we like to think we are helping to perpetuate something that we enjoy. I have seen youngsters hang on the beach for three days straight and can't help but think how much better off they are there opposed to playing with their electronic devices. One of the youngsters that fished with us was a young scout and just became a Coast Guardsman. We thought about taking my 8 year old grandson this year but may wait a year. Our group is hardcore and some don't leave the beach for that 60 hour period, but our cottage is close by and sometimes even within easy walking distance should anyone want a break, a shower, etc.

The organization and administration is a tremendous amount of work and I know that several of our members prefer the 300 participant number. Our permit allows up to 1000 and I suppose I have enough competitive spirit left in me to want to grow the event. We could comfortably handle 500-700 without having any crowding issues but it would require extra judges and support. I am just trying to find what it is that attracts folks to tournaments other than JUST prizes. We have asked participants if they prefer cash, gift certificates, trophies, or various gear and, surprisingly, although cash is happily accepted it is down the list and is sometimes returned to be contributed to a worthy cause.

You could say ours is the tournament for those who don't like other tournaments. Next year (Oct 2018) will be our tenth and I'm trying to help create something very special on behalf of members, guests and those who started the event and continue to work hard to make it a great one. As my bride frequently reminds me, I may be slightly out of touch, so the opinions of other anglers are much appreciated.

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 08-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Al,

I think you're on to something: a tournament for those who don't like tournaments

That really does sound great and who knows, maybe one year I'll come down for it... I keep threatening to head down your way... retirement is soon and Lord willing I'll have the energy to do some things I've been putting off!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Al,

I think you're on to something: a tournament for those who don't like tournaments

That really does sound great and who knows, maybe one year I'll come down for it... I keep threatening to head down your way... retirement is soon and Lord willing I'll have the energy to do some things I've been putting off!
Energy (lack of) can definitely become an issue when we get to a certain "stage." When you get the time and desire just give me a head's up. I would enjoy catching up on Philly things and would be happy to show you what little I know about our beaches here. Might even be able to hook you up with a screamin' red drum!

I don't need a lot of advance notice .... my fulltime home is only 127 miles from our beach cottage. Think Sept - Dec or March-May time frames. (stop putting things off--- we just never know!)

Al