Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 12-29-2017, 06:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Tampa Bay

here all week with starting temperatures high 70?s low 62 in the am water temps about 65 degrees Fished a few docks Jacks / Lady fish clouser w/ flash 8w Went out with Capt Barkley ( secret squirrel Hells Bay Marquesa ) yesterday out of Ft DeSoto boat ramp seen plenty of Reds / Snook but were very spooky and would not take . We made a move to some docks, w/ Helios D 8w produced Sm Grouper , nice size Lady fish Shrimp Clouser was the offering all presentations I tye myself . . Made another move to the bay flats for some terrific bites with some Spots a few over 16” . same offering as the water was cloudy due to the wind Great day fantastic guide ( 2nd time out ) Capt. Tuned my casting up as well . White Pelicans are down for the winter lined up along the Mangrove flats beautiful to see . Temps are going to stay in the mid to low 70s i’m Going to hit some wintertime flats way in the back of Tampa Bay & see if those Reds will bite . Not the greatest moon tides but it?s what it is . I stayed away from the beach / passes as wind was up could go with the spin as the week goes on . Will see .
Old 12-29-2017, 07:13 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Tampa Bay

Sounds nice, with our teen-level temps and sub windchills this week.

Have a Happy New Year, and if the camera ain't broke, throw out a sunset pic or 2 (no need for fish pics, that's too much to bear )

Enjoy!
Old 12-30-2017, 06:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Sounds nice, with our teen-level temps and sub windchills this week.

Have a Happy New Year, and if the camera ain't broke, throw out a sunset pic or 2 (no need for fish pics, that's too much to bear )

Enjoy!
Happy New Year & a Healthy One
The picture thing here sometimes is a chore to post from the IPhone
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Did some wade fishing , with the afternoon wind but. Better low tide it was hard to see holes or tailing fish . Water was pretty dirty , weedless presentations was the offering . Nada
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Made a trip up to Dunedin fished with a Capt Ethan Kiburz in his Hells Bay Marques , 12 noon dropping tide absolutely beautiful conditions . St Joseph Sound where I 1st fished in Florida for nine years Mullet everywhere , Sheepshead on every flat . Tailing Reds here and there but very spooky . With the sun at our back wind just right I got one shot on a larger Red tailing about 40-50 feet a really good two haul cast ( if I needed a good cast this was it )right in front of her nose ( shrimp mono eyes weed guard ) She stared it down as & gradually followed as I stripped it with the anticipation of a strike , but no she did not take & off she went .
We saw a hand full but could not get close enough for a good presentation. Guide Ethan tried really hard for me but I understand the game . Worth every minuet on the platform playing the hunting game .
Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Great report, I can actually envision that snub!

Enjoy! You’ll get ‘em