Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-05-2018, 03:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: January & Febuary 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
That "spot" in CT is frozen over and I even seen a picture of someone jigging a striper through the ice there. Not gonna lie that has me a little excited. lol
Well you have the Pick -Ax already if need to get a line down, your much younger than I to brave this cold . The gentlemen I know gets well over a 1000 stripers per callendar year & he don't ice fish .I have not spoken to him in two years , some boat issues & health but I know he is on the water when he can . I have seen him pass me by ( boat ) while I fly the shore line beach during the year. BTW for all reading : he is strictly Catch & Release guy . I have read your posts your a good man for the sport , thanks for sharing
Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Well you have the Pick -Ax already if need to get a line down, your much younger than I to brave this cold . The gentlemen I know gets well over a 1000 stripers per callendar year & he don't ice fish .I have not spoken to him in two years , some boat issues & health but I know he is on the water when he can . I have seen him pass me by ( boat ) while I fly the shore line beach during the year. BTW for all reading : he is strictly Catch & Release guy . I have read your posts your a good man for the sport , thanks for sharing
Pretty sure you are talking about Rich Zaleski. He's not fishing it right now (no open water).

I would give ice fishing a shot up there once the ice gets a little thicker. Saltwater Ice + somewhat tidal waters I want 6"+

SS road trip? Bassturd is driving
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 AM

I think even the fish were cold this weekend. The wind chill was absolutely brutal on Saturday.

The total was around 27 for the weekend between me and my brother...19 pickerel, 2 LM bass, 2 crappies, and 4 perch.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  66.0 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Size:  155.3 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  116.1 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  127.7 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Size:  152.7 KB
Old 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Usually surf fish ortley/lavalette, but work has been keeping up north, been hitting the Hacky for schoolies. Last time out was Christmas eve got about 40. Now everthing is iced up. I fish up the river in CT last winter, caught 150-250 fish each time out. Never saw fish stacked up like that before. Looking forward to some warmer weather.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:08 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Nice pics, J (I mean... pictures, not just pics )

Lunker, sounds like a great time up there. I knew a fellow who used to tell me about the Hack... if you're up that way, supposed to be an unsung fishery, and it sounds it!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM

I'm setting my sights on getting back on the ice next Tuesday. We're getting some melting between now and then,
but I see a couple nights down in the mid teens Sunday and Monday.
Solunar tables rate it a great day with peak hours between 0900 and 1100.

What do folks think of these Solunar Tables? Are they worth reading?
My first outing on the ice this season, the tables showed peak activity at the same time, around 0900 to 1100.
Between 0950 and 1010 I got 7 flags up, which, for one guy with 5 tipups is a LOT of running.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I'm setting my sights on getting back on the ice next Tuesday. We're getting some melting between now and then,
but I see a couple nights down in the mid teens Sunday and Monday.
Solunar tables rate it a great day with peak hours between 0900 and 1100.

What do folks think of these Solunar Tables? Are they worth reading?
My first outing on the ice this season, the tables showed peak activity at the same time, around 0900 to 1100.
Between 0950 and 1010 I got 7 flags up, which, for one guy with 5 tipups is a LOT of running.

Some guys fish them, some guys don't. Those tables could read great but if water clarity, weather, wind, tide, current, location, and bait presence don't cooperate then your beat. Fish them exclusively for a few months and see what happens, rinse and repeat. Try to find a pattern.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 PM

JettyJumper, If the opportunity to hit the beach (or the ice) is there, I'll take it. If I'm looking for an excuse to create an opportunity to go fishing I might try out the Solunar Tables to rev me up a bit.

Still, with ice fishing it's a good single outing sample - sitting in the same place for hours I find it real easy to notice when the level of action picks up or dies.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 AM

Finally getting into jigging through the ice...not bad for my second attempt.

Tip ups on the slower side with just a few pickerel/perch; total sunny infestation on the jigs.

Views: 350
Size:  140.7 KB
Views: 350
Size:  215.2 KB
Views: 345
Size:  169.1 KB
Views: 342
Size:  173.8 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  133.0 KB
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 PM

JB, I was on the ice for 6 hours yesterday with less "good" fish luck and lots more jigging action than I've had before. Not as nice as yours, though. Great going!

...I especially hate it when the day's gone so slow and then a flag goes up, I set the hook and the fish runs like a freight train for 3 seconds and then bites through the 50# leader.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM

John, it seems that your brother likes winter fishing better than summer fishing?...He is always present in your winter adventures but I do not remember seeing him holding a big bass or tog on your boat...how come?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
John, it seems that your brother likes winter fishing better than summer fishing?...He is always present in your winter adventures but I do not remember seeing him holding a big bass or tog on your boat...how come?
If you've ever fished with Manny you'd know why LOL!!! He goes just doesn't catch Nice job JOhn as always
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Finally getting into jigging through the ice...not bad for my second attempt.

Tip ups on the slower side with just a few pickerel/perch; total sunny infestation on the jigs.

Attachment 16346
Attachment 16347
Attachment 16348
Attachment 16349
Attachment 16350
Nice colors on those fish
Old 01-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
He doesn't like fishing on boats that much but if you call him to go kayak fishing he will be there in a heartbeat.

For some reason, he absolutely loves ice fishing, clamming & crabbing. He's a grown adult that needs constant action to keep him focused.

I looked back through the pictures and he made three trips on the boat in total this year.
1. Porgies
2. Last minute bass chunking & bluefish flats trip with just me and him
3. Overnight chunk into morning w/Rui and Dan

Funny story, we chunked all night and he didn't have any luck (supermoon back in May or June). Rui had caught and released a 30# fish and we landed some others/missed some hits but overall not a hot and heavy action kind of night - the current was ripping hard! He goes to sleep and literally a few minutes later his rod is doubled over with a 40# class fish that Rui landed and is holding below. He woke up, saw the fish and went right back to sleep. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
If you've ever fished with Manny you'd know why LOL!!! He goes just doesn't catch Nice job JOhn as always
Lol, anyone who has fished with my brother knows its an experience you don't forget. He gets super excited whether it's a 4" sunny or 44" bass.

This shot captures it pretty good - nailing schoolies by the statue earlier this year and we are taking a picture of a smaller bass (not often you get a rainbow + fish + NYC for a picture at the same time) when my rod goes off behind me. We ended up with two dozen+ fish that day before we ran out of bait between me and him.
Views: 265
Size:  75.0 KB
Views: 264
Size:  65.5 KB
Views: 266
Size:  71.9 KB
Views: 270
Size:  121.9 KB
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM

Well, he is always welcome to join me when I go kayak fishing...so you said he went with you on the boat 3 times out of what 50 total trips?...I guess people have different priorities in life...