Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Default Smart Gun Hack

Don't know if this was posted before.

'I didn't think it'd be so easy': Engineer gets into a 'locked' smart GUN with just $15 of magnets in simple hack

Creators of the Armatix IP1 gun said it would 'usher in a new era of gun safety'
?The gun is not meant to fire if it is more than a few inches from the watch
?A hacker has shown the device can be unlocked in multiple ways
?By placing $15 (?11.50) magnets by the barrel he could fire it without the watch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...5-magnets.html

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Smart Gun Hack

They keep coming up with do-dads which defeat gun use. The presumption seems to be that we need protection from ourselves in gun use. I have had a gun for 70 years, the first a .410 break open single by Stevens. I have never had an accident, a need to be inaccessible, or reason to fear my own firearm. I don't do crime and use my firearms for sport, only once for protection which worked admirably. That stuff is just more reason to assume that gun use needs a nanny. The real need is in responsible firearms training. Treat a gun like a gallon of gasoline: with respect and appreciation for what it can do.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM
SS/Insider

"only once for protection which worked admirably"

Hey Frank

Would love to hear that story

bOb....

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad_flipper View Post
"only once for protection which worked admirably"

Hey Frank

Would love to hear that story

bOb....
It was the dog thing in 2001. It was right after my heart attack. Cardiologist told me that I had to walk every day. We were walking in a state forest when we were attacked by a pair of loose unsupervised dogs. The big one, over 100 pounds, knocked my wife to the ground and the small one was jumping up at me. I fired a round of .38 Special down the throat of mine but could not shoot at the one who had her as it would have put her at risk. The shot sent both dogs packing the small one, entry wound inside its mouth, screaming. I reported the event to the police and, as is the police protocol, they told the Milford (Mass) Daily. They called my home inquiring about the story. But when they printed it they came down on the side of the dogs. My attorney later told me that I should never have talked to the press. We received a number of harassing phone threats. It was a story for the press that gave them mileage. I had been an "insider" for a Cape fishing publication where I did Cape angling news, features, seminars and angling photography for many years. I was never charged with anything, even supported by the chief of Police but I did lose my writer gig. I did not choose this situation but a lot of people came down on the side of the two dogs. The press did not surprise me but the fishing publication did. If you are ever a victim of the press you will never forget what they did. Always remember that they are in the story business. If someone's dog is more important than your wife they will screw you then move on. What killed my dog attack was the demise of the Twin Towers in NY. They then had something bigger to write about.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM
SS/Insider

Wow....thanks for sharing

bOb...ski

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

[quote=crawdad_flipper;2432117]Wow....thanks for sharing

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:47 PM

I tell this true story to point out that accuracy is not a consideration in reporting. If one reporter breaks a story the others, not really knowing how accurate it is, just pick up on it. Prior to my lawyer warning me, I only talked to one reporter but all of Boston and central Mass ran the story. So if the first person had it wrong, and she did, all the others who were not there, said the same thing. Each rendition contained more rin-tin-tin and Lassie than the previous. There was never any attention given to the woman, my wife, who was at risk. That the dogs were unleashed and loose, acting aggressively, was given no treatment by the press. Even the fishing publication that fired me was not thinking about the attack. Keep in mind that many fishermen are also gun toting supporters of the Second Amendment -- some rabid gun owners who fish and also hunt. That was apparently not given any thought by the publication. High command for that publication is a bunch of dumb sons 'o bitches or at least acted so in this case. All they had to do was stay out of it.

You have to experience something like this to appreciate how callous the press can be in their devotion to responsible journalism. But we are becoming a nation that no longer trusts the press. I didn't vote for Donald Trump. I voted against Hillary but Trump's rant against "fake news" rings the bell.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:59 PM

Next question -- in a thread where there seems to be no questions -- is why do you carry a gun? I am required to have a gun permit if I want to hunt with firearms in Massachusetts. Local licensing officer had my wife for a teacher in grade school; I need the highest level because my long gun, while plugged to hold less has a six shot capacity. Licensing officers, who incidently consider us both as outstanding candidates, give us both the highest level of permit because it costs the same. Inasmuch, as we are often in the woods, among homeless malefactors, bears, unleashed dogs, and rabid coyotes, why not carry a gun when we have both paid for $100 permits?

When driving down the local roads I see people walking with baseball bats, golf clubs, ski poles, even big sharpened sticks. Why not a gun?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM

For those advocating more gun laws, keep in mind that Chicago and Boston, with the most stringent gun laws in the nation, lead in gun crimes. I don't see Chicago news but Boston they shoot each other at the rate of several each weekend. Those crimes remain largely unsolved. When I took "Crime and Delinquancy" in college, as I recall only 4 percent of murders are ever solved.