Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Mudhole

The Mudhole "The Mudhole" - This is the place for any area of discussion; National & World Events, Mud Slinging and Politics.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Wake up America

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSteve63
I'm glad that 500 Muslims spoke out against violence. How many do you think are out there promoting it?

I try and resist stereotyping and grouping together vast groups of people. That being said, violence permeates Middle Eastern Islamic life. Entire generations are TAUGHT that we are infidels.
Okay, but entire generations of Sunnis are taught that the Shia are infidels and vice versa. That's why we aren't going to "win" in Iraq. As a rule, they hate each other more than they hate us... as long as we aren't meddling in their affairs.

Promoting violence? Against us? A handful at best. You might also remember the Zakaria article we read about a year ago on the changing attitudes. That has continued, and those 500 who signed that letter are representative of the vast, vast majority of Muslims around the world, not to mention those I hear interviewed here in the States that abhor violence and speak for the vast majority here.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Prefer to stay in the reality-based community, rather than dabble in silly hypotheticals and bogus hype.

You're moving?

PS. I'll shoot you a PM next time I'm down, should be within a few weeks.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Secret UK Govt Report:Mainstream UK Islamic organisations 'share al-Qaeda ideology'

Mainstream Islamic organisations 'share al-Qaeda ideology'
Many apparently mainstream Muslim groups have the same ideology as violent Islamists, according to a secret report from the think tank Quilliam.

By Duncan Gardham, Security Correspondent
Published: 2:59PM BST 05 Aug 2010

The report, sent to the government?s Office for Security and Counter Terrorism (OSCT), was not intended f More..or publication but has now been leaked on the internet.

Entitled "Preventing terrorism, where next for Britain?" it says the ideology of non-violent Islamists is ?broadly the same as that of violent Islamists? adding ?they disagree only on tactics.?

It produces a list of those it believes are ?non-violent Islamists? and adds: "These are a selection of the various groups and institutions active in the UK which are broadly sympathetic to Islamism.

?Whilst only a small proportion will agree with al-Qaeda's tactics, many will agree with their overall goal of creating a single 'Islamic state' which would bring together all Muslims around the world under a single government and then impose on them a single interpretation of sharia as state law."

The document adds that if the government engages with such groups "it risks empowering proponents of the ideology, if not the methodology, that is behind terrorism."

Quilliam argues that the government needs to move beyond tackling those who advocate violent extremism to target those that espouse similar but non-violent views.

Their views are thought to hold sway as the Coalition conducts a major review of the government?s Prevent counter-terrorism strategy.

A Home Office spokesman said the report had not been solicited but added: "We believe the Prevent programme isn't working as effectively as it could and want a strategy that is effective and properly focused ? that is why we are reviewing it."

The list sent to the OSCT includes a unit within Scotland Yard called the Muslim Contact Unit and another independent group designed to improve the relationship between the police and the Muslim community called the Muslim Safety Forum.

It also includes the Muslim Council of Britain, one of the main groups representing Muslims in Britain, and its rival the Muslim Association of Britain.

Other groups on the list are the Islamic Human Rights Commission, the Federation of Student Islamic Societies and the Cordoba Foundation.

Quilliam also singles out the Islam Channel, a satellite TV channel which has been the subject of one of their reports.

Among the mosques identified are Finsbury Park mosque in North London, formerly run by the extremist preacher Abu Hamza but now under new management, along with East London Mosque and Birmingham Central mosque.

Politicians described as "Islamist backed" include Salma Yaqoob, leader of the Respect Party, and the former Respect MP George Galloway.

Inayat Bunglawala, chairman of Muslims4Uk and a former spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain, claimed the list was ?like something straight out of a Stasi manual? referring to the former East German secret police.

He added: ?In effect, Quilliam ? a body funded very generously by the government through Prevent ? are attempting to set themselves up as arbiters of who is and is not an acceptable Muslim.

?Their document specifically contains a McCarthy-type list of large and established Muslim organisations that they regard as suspect and smears them as being 'Islamists'."

The Metropolitan Police said they were proud of the Muslim Contact Unit which had ?carried out ground-breaking work and raised understanding within the counter-terrorism community of the issues facing Muslim communities.?

A spokesman added: ?The unit's work involves regular meetings with a wide range of individuals and groups to provide advice and guidance, to hear their concerns and to provide a channel by which these can then be communicated to other sections of the Metropolitan Police.?

Maajid Nawaz co-director of Quilliam told the Daily Telegraph: ?Quilliam has a track record of distinguishing between legal tolerance and civil tolerance ? we oppose banning non-violent extremists...yet we see no reason why tax payers should subsidise them. It is in this context that we wish to raise awareness around Islamism.?

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Ground Zero Mosque Reveals Deeper Muslim Problem

Monday, 09 Aug 2010 08:47 AM
Article Font Size

By: Ronald Kessler
The controversy over plans to build a mosque two blocks from the site where the World Trade Center once stood reveals a deeper problem within the Muslim community.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, who is behind the project, says he wants to build bridges with fellow Americans and condemns terrorism. Yet he has refused to call Hamas a terrorist group, even though the State Department has designated it as such, and he is tone deaf to what should be obvious: Building a mosque so close to ground zero is wounding to many of those who lost their loved ones at the hands of Islamic extremists.

This lack of understanding is consistent with what the FBI has found in trying to cultivate the Muslim community. To be sure, leads from some Muslims have led to FBI cases in such cities as Lackawanna, N.Y.; Lodi, Calif.; and Atlanta. But in general, the FBI has met resistance to its requests for help from Muslim leaders in developing sources and leads in the war on terror. In fact, as many as 10 percent of the imams at the 2,000 mosques in the United States preach jihad and hatred of America, according to top FBI counterterrorism officials.

The FBI has found that Muslims often are in denial about the fact that the terrorists who threaten the U.S. are Muslims.

?I had this discussion with the director of a very prominent Muslim organization here in D.C.,? a counterterrorism agent told me for my book ?The Terrorist Watch: Inside the Desperate Race to Stop the Next Attack.? ?And he said, ?Why are you guys always looking at the Muslim community???

The agent began laughing.

?Okay, you know what I?ll do?? the agent said. ?I?ll start an Irish squad, or how about a Japanese squad? You want me to waste my time and your taxpayer?s dollars going to look at the Irish? They?re not killing Americans. Right now, I?m going to put my money and my people in a place where the threat is.?

Then the agent tells them to take a look at the cells that the FBI has rolled up in the United States.

?I can name the home-grown cells, all of whom are Muslim, all of whom were seeking to murder Americans,? the agent tells them. ?It?s not the Irish, it?s not the French, it?s not the Catholics, it?s not the Protestants; it?s the Muslims.?

In response, Muslim groups have told him he is rough around the edges.
?I?m not rough around the edges,? he tells them. ?You?re just not used to straight talk.?

They respond by getting angry at him.

Although Muslims occasionally will condemn al-Qaida, ?Rarely do we have them coming to us and saying, ?There are three guys in the community that we?re very concerned about,?? one agent says. ?They want to fix it inside the community. They?re a closed group, a very, very closed group. It?s part of their culture that they want to settle the problem within their own communities. They?ve actually said that to us, which I then go crazy over.?

At one meeting, a Muslim group suggested having a photo taken of its members with FBI Director Bob Mueller to show their community isn?t a bunch of terrorists and that they are partners in the war on terror.
An agent replied, ?Let me make a suggestion: When you bring to my attention real extremists who are here to plan and do something, who are here supporting terrorism, and I work that based on your information, then I promise you, I will have the director stand up on the stage with you.?

To the agent?s amazement, the answer was: ?That could never happen. We would lose our constituency. We could never admit to bringing someone to the FBI.?

?Well, we?ve just defined the problem, haven?t we?? the agent told them.
While there is ?a lot of talk about engagement,? the agent said, ?realistically, we?ve got a long, long way to go.?

The overwhelming majority of Muslims do not deserve to be tarnished by the terrorist acts of those who have hijacked their religion. For the most part, they are peace-loving people, some of whom are my friends.

But by refusing to condemn terrorists, and by showing insensitivity to New Yorkers devastated by the 9/11 attack, Rauf has made himself a poster boy for attitudes that need to change within the Muslim community.

http://www.newsmax.com/RonaldKessler...8/09/id/366969

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Fellow

I listened to a radio interview with an "Islamic of peace" yesterday. It was very revealing. The interviewer asked him about the stoning death or disfigurement punishments inflicted upon Muslim women for alledged crimes.

He said that when the women accept their faith they also accept the punishment. In the case of the stoning to death he said that they are doing her a favor as she will be forgiven once she is dead.

This guy was obviously well educated and well spoken ---- for a stinkin savage. They come from tent dwellers who sleep with many wives and goats. They will slit your throat to watch the blood run out --- AND they don't like us --- period!!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM

A Warning From France

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=714_1283436235
Ends at 05:14, followed by lengthy Pat Robertson commentary

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 09-02-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Eembedded Video Code
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Busted - Orlando Mosque Finances Hamas Fundraiser

The al-Rahman mosque in Orlando, FL, a Muslim Brotherhood owned and operated property, is caught funding terrorism via George Galloway, self-admitted Hamas fundraiser, and Imam Mahdi Bray, public Hamas supporter.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4fa_1283590076

Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Pakistan Keeping Flood Aid From Christians

Government agencies and Muslim relief organizations in Pakistan have been denying aid to thousands of Christians left homeless by the recent monsoon floods, say Christian sources in the overwhelmingly Muslim nation.
Aid agencies have been delivering food, clothing, building supplies and hygiene kits in an effort to prevent outbreaks of water-borne disease as the flood waters begin to recede.
But the Pakistan Christian Congress says the afflicted Punjab region is a ?hotbed? of Islamic extremist organizations that view Christians as infidels, and local officials who fear the extremists have been barring Christians from tent camps set up for flood victims.
Christians comprise about 2 percent of Pakistan?s 175 million people and have come under attack in the past from extremists who accuse them of blasphemy, CNSNews reported.
Open Doors USA President Carl Moeller, whose organization has been working in Pakistan, said: ?The only place with aid for many is their local mosque, which places Christians in an extremely vulnerable situation. Some are flatly denied assistance while others are told to vacate the region or convert to Islam. Imagine giving up your faith in order to feed your starving children.?
Anglican Bishop Humphrey Peters of Peshawar in Pakistan said: ?We are sure that some countries will come forward with aid packages, but hardly anything will reach the minority Christians.?
Christian organizations are urging Christians around the world to send aid to groups that will help Christians or at least ensure that they are not left out of aid distribution.
Pakistan Christian Congress President Nazir Bhatti said governments and organizations can distribute some of their aid to Christians through groups such as the Catholic aid agency Caritas or the Catholic Bishops? Conference.
Bishop Peters? diocese has already set up four relief camps for hundreds of flood-stricken Christians and members of the Hindu minority, according to CNSNews.
Meanwhile criticism of aid efforts is coming from non-Christian sources as well. The Lahore-based Daily Times said in a recent editorial: ?Reports about systematic discrimination in aid distribution are utterly disgraceful. If we want to progress as a nation, we need to close the doors on our prejudices. For far too long we have let religious bigots call the shots.?

http://www.turkishforum.com.tr/en/co...om-christians/

Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Biggest Islamic Relief revenues are from ?secular? government

Islamic Relief Worldwide, a major conglomerate of Muslim charities, receives funding from affiliated Muslim charities and by individual zakat donations. But a review of their annual report shows that the largest single donors are actually government agencies. Apart from one Qatari institution, the top five donors are mostly funded by Western tax dollars.

Reach out to Asia ? Qatar: ?2.7 million
European Commission for Humanitarian Operations: ?2.3 million
Department for International Development (U.K.): ?1.6 million
United Nations Development Program: ?1.6 million
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees: ?0.9 million
The largest donations from Islamic Relief partner organizations are Islamic Relief USA, Islamic Relief Deutschland, Islamic Relief Association Switzerland, Secour Islamique France, and Islamic Relief Nederland. Malaysia was the only Islamic nation with a partner organization that came close to match the giving power of the West.

Certainly U.K. and European taxpayers must be delighted that their money is being used to propagate Islam around the world. When churches or Christian charities in the U.S. receive any taxpayer money, it?s extremely controversial. But Islamic Relief gets pats on the back from Prince Charles for their remarkable ?generosity? and fundraising abilities. It?s just that he forgot to tell us that it?s easy to be generous with somebody else?s money.

http://moneyjihad.wordpress.com/2010...ment-agencies/

Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
Okay, but entire generations of Sunnis are taught that the Shia are infidels and vice versa. That's why we aren't going to "win" in Iraq. As a rule, they hate each other more than they hate us... as long as we aren't meddling in their affairs.

Promoting violence? Against us? A handful at best. You might also remember the Zakaria article we read about a year ago on the changing attitudes. That has continued, and those 500 who signed that letter are representative of the vast, vast majority of Muslims around the world, not to mention those I hear interviewed here in the States that abhor violence and speak for the vast majority here.
looks like Chuck must've been right... we haven't "won" in Iraq, so now we're going to try in Afghanistan
Old 10-23-2010, 07:24 AM

In the UK.

A cafe owner was ordered to remove an extractor fan because the smell of her frying bacon offended passing Muslims.

Planning officials acted against Beverley Akciecek, 49, after being told her next door neighbour's Muslim friends had felt ''physically sick'' due to the ''foul odour.''

The fan has been in Beverley's Snack Shack takeaway in the Shaw Heath area of the town for the past three years.

And the mother-of-seven whose husband Cetin, 50, is himself a Turkish Muslim work more than fifty hours a week buying, preparing and cooking hot and cold sandwiches and hot-pots for their customers.

But neighbour Graham Webb-Lee complained that his Muslim friends refused to visit him becase they ''can't stand the smell of bacon.''

And councillors at Liberal Democrat run Stockport Council in Greater Manchester ruled the 'odours given off from the vent were unacceptable for neighbouring residents.'

Mrs Akciecek who plans to appeal against the decision said, "I just think it's just crazy. Cetin's friends actually visit the shop, they're regular visitors, they're Muslim people, the come in a couple of times a week.

''I have Muslim people come in for cheese toasties. Cetin cooks the food himself, he cooks the bacon.

"When we go to a cafe my husband wouldn't be offended by the smell of bacon. His friends are not offended by it, we have three visitors who come here for a sandwich, friends of my husband, and the smell doesn't offend them at all.

''My brother-in-law doesn't flinch if he comes and we've just taken out three trays of bacon."

The couple took over the take-away on Adswood Road in Cale Green, Stockport, in 2007 from the previous owner and replaced the exisiting extractor fan, which had been there for six years, with a new modern one.

They claim they received no complaints about the cafe which is open from 7.30am-2.30pm six days a week, until around eighteen months ago when they received a letter from environmental services to say Mr Webb-Lee had complained about the smell.

"We've never had a problem about the smell because everything is pre-cooked," said Mrs Akciecek.

"We cook it in the oven so there's no foul smell. It's pre-cooked so the smell isn't as strong when we're frying it off. It's like living next to someone who's cooking a Sunday breakfast but it's not constant it's just in the morning.

"It's been a sandwich shop for about eight years, cooking exactly the same stuff. The lady before me did double because they were actually building new houses across the road so she was really busy. She was here from 6am-4pm because they were so busy.

"They were there before me but they were also there when the lady who owns the business was here and she was doing double what we are. She had five staff, you can imagine how bust that shop was and they never complained at all."

They say that Environmental services had been out to inspect their property after their neighbour complained about a foul odour last year, but they ruled that the smell was not causing a problem.

"Environmental services said everything is ok. They kept coming back and guaging it and said there was no problem and because they didn't take any action they complained again," she added.

The couple had never applied for planning permission as they had simply replaced an existing extractor fan with one of the same size and in the same position, but, following further complaints from their neighbour, they were informed by the council they would have to apply retrospectively as an objection had been raised.

They applied for planning permission in May this year, but the application was refused at a meeting of Stockport Area Committee on October 14. Mr Webb-Lee objected to the aplication - complained that his Muslim friends refused to visit him becase they ''can't stand the smell of bacon.''

Mr Webb-Lee said, "The vent is 12 inches from my front door. Every morning the smell of bacon comes through and makes me physically sick.

''I have a lot of Muslim friends. They refuse to visit me anymore because they can't stand the smell of bacon."

A spokesman for Stockport Council said, "'The retrospective application was rejected on the grounds of residential amenity, as the committee felt the odours given off from the vent were unacceptable for neighbouring residents.

"We will ensure that the cafe complies with this decision and removes the extractor fan."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-Muslims.html

Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM
SS/Veteran

The vent is 12 inches from his front door? That sounds like a problem no matter what they're cooking...
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Maher: Am I Racist to Feel Alarmed By the Thought of Islam Taking Over the Western World??

"I'm right, and I don't apologize for it"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=721_1288469218

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 10-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Fellow

Islamic scholars claim that there are 500 million Muslims who are sympathetic to Bin Laden's efforts. Unless you are talking to a democrat about our deficit 500 million is a lot of anything!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 PM

The slaughter of dozens of Iraqi Christians held hostage in a Baghdad church seized by Islamist insurgents will accelerate the exodus of a Christian community that is one of the most ancient in the world.
The flight of Iraq's dwindling Christian minority began several years ago when they became the target of Islamist militants like al-Qaida. Hundreds were killed or driven from their ancestral lands.
The seizure of the Our Lady of Deliverance church in Baghdad, one of the city's main Roman Catholic places of worship, Sunday evening marked a sharp escalation in the campaign to drive out Iraq's Christians, caught between majority Shiite and minority Sunni Muslims.
Some 120 people were taken hostage during Sunday services. On Monday, Iraqi anti-terrorist forces stormed the church, one of six bombed in August 2004.
Maj. Gen. Hussein Ali Kamal, the deputy interior minister, said at least 52 people, including a priest, were killed in the final shootout.
It wasn't clear whether the captives were killed by militants but Christian member of parliament Younadem Kana said, "What we know is that most of them were killed when the security forces started to storm the church."

A statement posted on a militant Web site late Sunday, allegedly by the Islamic State in Iraq, claimed responsibility for seizing the church, which it called "the dirty den of idolatry." ISI is linked to al-Qaida in Iraq.
Iraq's Christian communities -- the Assyrians and Chaldeans, along with smaller numbers of Armenians and others -- have practiced their faith since the days of Jesus Christ.
The Assyrian Church of the East, for instance, was established in A.D. 33 by St. Thomas. The Assyrian Apostolic Church was founded a year later and can trace its origins to St. Peter.
Times were tough under the tyrannical Saddam Hussein, a Sunni, but even in 1987 a census listed 1.4 million Christians in Iraq. Today, an estimated 700,000 remain, mainly on the Nineveh Plain north of Baghdad.
As many as 600,000, and probably more, have fled since the insurgency erupted following the March 2003 U.S. invasion that toppled Saddam.
But the trickle became a flood after Islamist extremists began systematically car-bombing churches in August 2004 and accusing Christians of collaborating with the Americans.
But Iraq's Christians aren't the only ones on the run. Across the Middle East, and indeed in the wider Muslim world as far east as Indonesia, Christians are in retreat and often under fire.
In the West Bank town of Bethlehem, reputed to be Jesus' birthplace, Christians once comprised 85 percent of the population. They're now 20 percent.
Land belonging to Arab Christians, along with other Palestinians, is seized by Israel in the name of security, then handed over to Jewish settlers

Britain's liberal Guardian newspaper reported Thursday that the emigration of Christians from the Middle East "has accelerated in the last 15 years to the point where there is a real prospect of Christians disappearing from some parts of the cradle of Christianity."
In Egypt, Iran, Turkey, Jordan and the Arab states in North African Christian communities are fighting for survival.
In Lebanon, where Maronite Catholics were deemed the majority when the French left in 1943 and which was the only Arab nation to have a Christian head of state, Christians are leaving in droves as the Iranian-backed Shiites of Hezbollah grow in power and run a virtual state within a state.
Christians lived in what is now called the Arab world before Islam took root in the seventh century. They have survived massacres and persecution over the centuries.
But the demise of secular movements in the region and the growing influence of political Islam, as evidenced in its most violent form by al-Qaida, is driving out the last remnants.
"The last prominent Christians -- Tariq Aziz, a Chaldean and Saddam's foreign minister for many years, and Hanan Ashrawi, Yasser Arafat's education minister -- have vanished from the political stage in the Middle East," Der Spiegel recently noted.

Last week, Iraq's supreme court sentenced Aziz, Saddam's PR man who sought to justify his murderous excesses, to be hanged for "his role in the elimination of Islamic parties," the majority Shiites.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/...0831288638825/