Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New York

Fishing - New York The Empire State Fishing Reports and Information

Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Fishing Bronx tonight

Fishing at Clason point. If anyone is interested, I'll be there. Yankee hat and white and yellow rods. If you google it, it is labled Kane's Park. Drive to the end of sound view ave. Bear left at the last light.

See you there.
Jose Otero,
Bronx, NY
Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Fishing Bronx tonight

Good luck.
Let us know how you did.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I won't be fishing for a while yet. Please do let us know how it goes!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I won't be fishing for a while yet. Please do let us know how it goes!
Obviously Clason Point isn't the crashing waves of Montauk. It is more like a back bay but it was simply a gorgeous place. Where else can you go in NYC and fish from a park almost completely surrounded by water with the views of the Tri-borough (now RFK), Whitestone bridges to the left, La Guardia airport staring right at you across the water and the New York skyline to your right?

Needless to say I caught nothing using worms, clams and bunker. It was still a beautiful night. I arrived at about 7:30 PM to catch the sun going down behind the bridges and the end of the incoming tide with barely a wind blowing south at 5 mph tops. I fished until 2 AM while I watched the moon move from the West to East as the night progressed and the clouds start to move in. I would have stayed until dawn but it began to rain and I didn't have a ride. I packed it up and walked about a mile to my aunts house and crashed there until my wife picked me up in the morning.

The water did peak at 40 to 41 degrees but I still think it is a bit early for some of the real players to arrive.

We'll get'em next time.

Jose Otero,
Bronx, NY
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Jose,

On the map that looks like a nice place to fish, so keep at it, you'll need to learn what works and when!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanx RobS. That's what I'm here for... to learn and enjoy the process.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Jose,

some learning can only be experienced first hand... specifically with spots.

You will have to keep a log, watch bait movements, look at charts for the area, then go out and try it.

Even if we wanted to, unless someone here has fished that area, folks can only give general advice. The keys to the kingdom lie in studying up and applying principles to the specific place!

For example, there seem to be 2 outflows nearby, the one that passes soundview park seems to be the more productive but only going and finding bait patterns would say for sure.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Jose,

some learning can only be experienced first hand... specifically with spots.

You will have to keep a log, watch bait movements, look at charts for the area, then go out and try it.

Even if we wanted to, unless someone here has fished that area, folks can only give general advice. The keys to the kingdom lie in studying up and applying principles to the specific place!

For example, there seem to be 2 outflows nearby, the one that passes soundview park seems to be the more productive but only going and finding bait patterns would say for sure.
RobS,

I did notice quite a few schools of baitfish in the area. I didn't see what they were but I did observe that they weren't being chased by anything because they moved as large dark clouds in the water. They moved very slowly and held their patterns for the most part. I knew they were baitfish by the little disruptions on the surface. My guess is they were small bunker.

Over the course of last year, if I saw these large schools, they would disperse quickly and the movement was erradic indicating there were predators going after them. I would also notice a few jumping out of the water and hear the occasional slurping that many would consider the sound of stripers in the area having a field day. Before I started my (first offseason since last summer was my first) winter reading, all these clues made sense after understanding what to look for and took notice.

Yes I have been keeping a log and right now nothing has been brought to light but I'm sure it is because there just isn't enough information just yet but I understand how this works.

I have spoken to a number of the locals and they all pretty much use worms and bunker but at the end of last fall, I caught my first and only keeper using clam. Just lucky I guess but I try to have all three around just in case. I also have my surface and mid-water lures but that area is so rocky I tend to lose alot of gear in the rocks. Probably inexperience I guess but for that area I prefer to use live or cut bait because that seems to work best.

Thanks again RobS!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM

I would think, based on similarities around the coast, that right now the bait you are seeing would be spearing (some call them shiners, not to be confused with freshwater shiners).

Rocks pose a problem, of course, but I would start with smaller presentations, like finess or thin profile yozuri crystal plugs. You could put a thin teaser about 2.5 ft in front of a swimmer to keep everything off the rocky bottom and try various retrieves, from slow to very slow, around those bait schools at night.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I would think, based on similarities around the coast, that right now the bait you are seeing would be spearing (some call them shiners, not to be confused with freshwater shiners).

Rocks pose a problem, of course, but I would start with smaller presentations, like finess or thin profile yozuri crystal plugs. You could put a thin teaser about 2.5 ft in front of a swimmer to keep everything off the rocky bottom and try various retrieves, from slow to very slow, around those bait schools at night.
Thanx RobS,
I'll try that.

Jose
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM

one other thing: ever fish for tog?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
one other thing: ever fish for tog?
Not yet but I would like to. I know they like crab and are around rocky areas and wrecks but I haven't really targeted them yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM

the mention of rocks got me thinking

if you go to that area, and there are rocks exposed at low tide (daytime only, tog don't hit at night), turn them over to see if little black crabs are there...if so -> they are the ticket!

use no hardware except for a hook on a short leader, off a loop a few inches above the weight, which can be anything that holds (including spark plugs ), you *will* lose rigs

but if there are rocks covered by a couple of feet of water near low tide, then fish that (ie fish that area, but probably better at or near high tide). toss out a 2/0 or 3/0 gami, with a piece of green, blue (or the aforementioned ) crab and then wait for taps and SET, then reel up!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:47 PM

they will likely be in that area from end of march all the way until the water warms up.

check your ny regs for the season and limits.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM

lastly tog are also called blackfish

they are a table - fish, although you can catch-and-release, my recommendation is that you catch them to eat them.