Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Default april, Chincoteague, first week

Going down to Chincoteague for a couple of days the first week of April. Going to be fishing from a kayak, any help would be useful. Should I just target Stripers like I would in N.J.? Or would there be other species worth targeting. Also, are the regulations for Chincoteague bay the same as the ocean?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: april, Chincoteague, first week

The regulations are the same as the ocean for the back bays there. You do need a fishing license which can be purchased at Capt. Steve's on Maddox Blvd. See Tom or Jimmy there for good information.

You are not allowed to land your kayak on any part of the beach of Assateague that is closed which will probably be all of what you can access by bay.

You will have black drum, small bluefish, flounder, and maybe a red drum to target along with the stripers. Normally it would be too early for an appearance of kingfish and spot but this certainly has not been a normal winter.

Doug
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 AM

Thanks Doug,
I'll let you know how I fare.
A
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
SS/Veteran

I made it down to Chincoteague on Monday, April 23., found the surf roiled up and dirty brown. There weren't any live peelers available, settled for frozen peelers and squid, and salted sea clam.

These baits came back untouched all 4 days I fished, did manage one medium sized sting ray on a sand flea on Wednesday which was the first day that the water was it's normal green color.

Thursday afternoon Capt. Steves did get some live peelers, headed out about 4 PM anfd found the surf alive with sting rays, black drum, sharks and striped bass.

I ended up with 1 small striper (31-33") and a small sting ray on sand fleas and a small shark and medium size striper (36") on the live peeler. Friday the wind had stirred up the water again and the sea returned to it's usual dead self.

Doug
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: april, Chincoteague, first week

I'm glad to hear you found some fish.
Pictures look good, thanks for sharing.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Your welcome Jess, it was a pleasurable week that ended way too soon. Hope to get back there a couple of times over the next month.

Doug
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
SS/Veteran

I had planned for one more trip this weekend, leaving work on Saturday evening to fish all day Sunday, instead I'll be digging out from another snowstorm, we still have snow on the ground from Monday's debacle with not much melt and another 3-6" predicted tomorrow.

I had a great trip two weekends ago, only one I know of fishing the beachfront from 4 PM Saturday to 5 PM Sunday. Nice 34" fish on first set of casts Saturday http://www.stevesbaitandtackle.com/f...gh-121212.html.

Sunday had beach overwash all the way to the bay, managed a handful of skates, and a 27 7/8" minnow that was released. Biggest rope fish I've caught, it looked like the bitter end (loop) of a mooring line.

Doug
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
SS/Veteran

We just got back from Chincoteague (Tuesday to today), a basic blowout every day with tough conditions and only a few of us fishing. Thursday offered a better chance when wind slowed a bit and changed to ENE (quartering against beach).

Low tide fishing almost became the necessary time to fish as the weed got bad towards high tide and the current from the NE 15-20 knot steady wind, gusts to 30, had surf rolling 8 oz. sputniks when the tide was up. NE on that stretch of beach is almost a direct left to right (down beach) swing, turns the inner slough into a river.

Oh well, beats the hell out of working .

Doug