Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Mudhole

The Mudhole "The Mudhole" - This is the place for any area of discussion; National & World Events, Mud Slinging and Politics.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Obamacare

Why I could learn to love Obamacare or The Plot Thickens

Facts in evidence....I recently retired after a lifelong career in finance. I am far better at finance, stock market investing, banking, financial planning and insurance than I ever will be at fishing. I am challenged by grouse and woodcock. Ducks laugh at me.

More facts in evidence....Obamacare is a cluster mess. The man makes Jimmy Carter look like a national hero. His motivation and background is mostly invisible. At least I had girlfriends and college transcripts....and a birth certificate.

Largest factoid....Obamacare is like taxation and gun control...never temporary and always ridiculously painful and unnecessary.

Now...ThePlot....Using my Sherlockian powers of deductive reasoning, I have concluded the the government wanting to help me has rendered me clinically depressed. My wife is morose over my depression.

Eureka (Greek word for I have found it) RX (this is a medical discussion after all) New waders, wading boots, surf rod and reel, Winston Spey rod with Abel reel, another Parker double, a Brittany and two English setters to keep my two Labs company, a new pickup with a dog transport box, a trip to Costa Rica for Tarpon, a new large SUV and a center console fishing boat. Ooops....a dozen red roses for my honey.

I am feeling better already no thanks to Barry O.

Could I add a signed copy of one of Frank's classics to my list.

DP A man can always hope, can't he?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

More on

Discovering the Cost of Obamacare

http://news.yahoo.com/video/discover...061042448.html

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM

If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. - Barack Obama

Almost 1.5 MillionInsurance Cancellations Under ObamaCare

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=23a_1382992067

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Obama admin. knew millions could not keep their health insurance

By Lisa Myers and Hannah Rappleye
NBC News

President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it. But millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years.

This story has been republished here

Four sources deeply involved in the Affordable Care Act tell NBC NEWS that 50 to 75 percent of the 14 million consumers who buy their insurance individually can expect to receive a ?cancellation? letter or the equivalent over the next year because their existing policies don?t meet the standards mandated by the new health care law. One expert predicts that number could reach as high as 80 percent. And all say that many of those forced to buy pricier new policies will experience ?sticker shock"

None of this should come as a shock to the Obama administration. The law states that policies in effect as of March 23, 2010 will be ?grandfathered,? meaning consumers can keep those policies even though they don?t meet requirements of the new health care law. But the Department of Health and Human Services then wrote regulations that narrowed that provision, by saying that if any part of a policy was significantly changed since that date -- the deductible, co-pay, or benefits, for example -- the policy would not be grandfathered

Buried in Obamacare regulations from July 2010 is an estimate that because of normal turnover in the individual insurance market, ?40 to 67 percent? of customers will not be able to keep their policy. And because many policies will have been changed since the key date, ?the percentage of individual market policies losing grandfather status in a given year exceeds the 40 to 67 percent range.?

That means the administration knew that more than 40 to 67 percent of those in the individual market would not be able to keep their plans, even if they liked them.

more http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...insurance?lite

President Barack Obama walks out to deliver remarks on the Affordable Care Act in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington on Oct. 1, 2013.

Attached Images

Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM

From CNN

The Obama Administration is Forcing Insurance Companies To Keep Quiet About Obamacare Problems

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=463_1383200069

Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM

ObamaCare price hikes hit 'red states' hardest
By Maxim LottSenate critics of ObamaCare say the difference is one way in which the bill is unfair.
X
Published November 05, 2013
FoxNews.com
X

X
Experiencing sticker-shock at the price of insurance on ObamaCare exchanges?
X
That's more likely if you live in a [/IMG]
"It?s unfair, outrageous and unacceptable," Senator John Barrasso, R-Wyo., who is also an orthopedic surgeon, said in a statement to FoxNews.com.

?After discovering that the President broke his promise that Americans can definitely keep their coverage, many red state Americans are now finding out that their rates will soar under ObamaCare. This... proves once again that the President?s health care law picks winners and losers across the country," he added.
Health policy experts say the reason red states got hit hardest is that they had fewer regulations to begin with.

"Think about it this way, what does ObamaCare do? ObamaCare imposes a one-size-fits-all regulatory scheme upon the insurance market. So if you're in a lightly regulated state today, all of a sudden it's going from a lightly regulated system to a heavily regulated system, and that drives up a lot of the costs," Avik Roy, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute who specializes in health policy, told FoxNews.com.

The increased regulations in question include requirements that insurers provide things like preventative care and contraceptives, which ObamaCare will now require in all states.

Asked about the numbers, the head of the pro-ObamaCare group Doctors for America pointed out that they don't take into account government subsidies that low-income people get under ObamaCare for purchasing insurance.

"The figures don?t take into account the subsidies... So it might be in a chart, but it?s not what people are actually seeing out there when they?re getting coverage," Alice Chen, Doctors for America Executive Director and a practicing internal medicine physician, told FoxNews.com.
Roy says that's a bad argument.

"The idea that somehow insurance cost increases don't matter because there are subsidies for people -- no, because subsidies are paid for by taxpayers. Subsidies aren't free. They don't fall from the sky. So if you're going to take subsidies into account, you also have to take the taxes into account that paid for these subsidies," he said.

Slightly more red state Americans qualify for subsidies than blue-staters: 8.3% of people, compared to 7.9% of blue staters, according to data provided by Roy which is also on the Manhattan Institute's "Know Your Rates" calculator.
Chen added that, thanks to ObamaCare's subsidies, the rate increases would not be a problem for most young people.

"A Department of Health and Human Services analysis came out last week which showed that 50% of young Americans would actually be able to buy a plan for $50 or less a month. Makes me wish I was in that age bracket!" she said.
Others disagree.

"It's because the vast majority of young people can now enroll in Medicaid, which is effectively free. That's $50 or less. But Medicaid is awful insurance, and it has very poor health outcomes that are barely better than being uninsured. So yeah, you're going to get this "free insurance" that doesn't actually let you see any doctors."

A Republican Senate staffer who does health policy told FoxNews.com that the rate changes discussed so far aren't the only way in which ObamaCare transfers money from red to blue states.

"Red states are subsidizing the blue states' Medicaid expansion... What you have is a lot of the wealthier states, a lot of the bluer states, are expanding Medicaid. And the federal government has promised to pay 90 cents of every dollar to expand Medicaid to include childless adults," the staffer told FoxNews.com.
"I don't think it's intentional on the part of the administration," he added.

Due to ObamaCare, a few "blue states" such as New York will actually see health insurance costs fall. Experts say that's because of a law in those states known as "community rating", which in New York means that everyone must pay the same price for insurance regardless of age or health. Since healthy young people were being charged the same rate as a 64-year-old with health problems, many young people gave up on buying insurance. But now, ObamaCare will force them to get insurance, and insurers may then charge everyone a bit less because young and healthy people cost them relatively little.

"A lot of these young people who opted out of insurance in New York will be forced to opt back into the system due to ObamaCare, and that will bring down rates," Roy said.

While the advertised prices of insurance in red states will rise 78%, and in blue states a smaller 50%, Roy pointed out that people were not always charged the advertised prices -- sick people have generally been charged more, but that will be illegal under ObamaCare, and so their premiums will go down. Roy redid the numbers to account for that, and using his numbers, the price increases change to 66% in red states and 48% in blue states for 27-year-olds. For 40-year-olds, it's a 37% increase in red states and a 28% increase in blue states.

"Our numbers are more flattering to the Obama administration, because if you're a healthy person you're going to pay a lot more than our numbers show," Roy said.
Chen said that, even if rates rise in some places, it's because ObamaCare has forbidden dishonest plans.

"In those states where it has traditionally been easier for insurance companies to sell a plan where they can yank it back as soon as you get sick, it is possible that you?re going to have to pay a little extra to be sure that plan is going to be there when you need it," Chen said.

Roy said insurance companies yanking coverage is already illegal.
"It almost never happens. It's already illegal unless you've lied on your forms," he said.

Senators opposed to ObamaCare say the whole thing is another reason to scrap the bill.

"We need to suspend the entire law and replace it with what all Americans wanted all along ? affordable, accessible care,? Senator Barrasso told FoxNews.com.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM

John McAfee on ObamaCare-website site

McAfee founder John McAfee on the security issues with the ObamaCare website.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/28201...site-security/

Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Cornyn calls for halt to ObamaCare navigators on heels of undercover video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUsUWFANPS8

Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Affordable care act inconvenient details

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5e3_1384322972

Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Yep! Getting to that time of year again... With all this Hoop La about OB Care the media is very busy 24 /7 radio, internet. TV ...just perfect time for Washington to sneak something in their stocking for themselves. Happy Thanksgiving...

fishing has been very good !
Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post

fishing has been very good !
send fish down here please
Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Fox News 'most trusted' source of news on Obamacare: survey

CNN may call itself "the most trusted name in news," but when it comes to information about President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act, more Americans trust Fox News, a new study suggests

http://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-obama...150510482.html

Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 AM

Obamacare Navigator Fraud Rampant, Not "Isolated Incident"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vXEmqVcZ4Fg

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Thousands of Doctors Dropped by Insurer After Obamacare Funding Cuts

UnitedHealth Group has dropped thousands of doctors from its networks in recent weeks, leaving many elderly patients unsure whether they need to switch plans to continue seeing their doctors, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

The insurer said in October that underfunding of Medicare Advantage plans for the elderly could not be fully offset by the company's other healthcare business.

The company also reported spending more healthcare premiums on medical claims in the third quarter, due mainly to government cuts to payments for Medicare Advantage services

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/doc...o_code=15A02-1

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM

ObamaCare backer cited by president loses tax credit

How affordable is the Affordable Care Act? Not very, it would seem for Washington state resident Jessica Sanford.

The self-employed single mother was cited last month as an ObamaCare success story by President Obama in the Rose Garden. But according to Washington State Wire, she's now finding out she doesn't qualify for the tax credits she was originally told she'd get.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ed-tax-credit/