Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs up Microsoft Releases New Internet Explorer for WIndows 8 Logo!

Simply AWESOME!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Talking Re: Microsoft Releases New Internet Explorer for WIndows 8 Logo!

You can't run 8 on an Apple

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Default Re: Microsoft Releases New Internet Explorer for WIndows 8 Logo!

My God why would anyone want to run Windows 8 on a PC, let alone on a MAC!

BTW A little birdie shared some inside info with from a private survey of the banking and financial industry. 78% of industry PC's are still running Windows XP, 18% Linux and 3% Windows 7, 1% "other".
Apple's share of new unit sales to the industry continues to dramatically increase each year. Of course they started at practically nothing but given a choice people choose MAC's.

This post was written on an 5 year old MacPro desktop that has never crashed. I did just lose 2 sticks of RAM (4GB) I had purchased in 2008 from Other World Computing but they have a Lifetime Warranty so I just called for a RMA and dropped them in the mail. They already shipped me replacement RAM, Sweet!

PS: I just installed Parallels 8 on my MacPro. Now I can run Windows 7 and a two old Windows only "legacy" software packages on the MacPro. I swear to God Jess, Windows 7 runs much faster on the Mac Pro than it ever did on my rocket PC with a +$1,000 Intel Core 2 Extreme LGA 775 CPU @3GHz and a SSD. I set Parallels to only give Windows the use of 2 cores of the MAC's 8 core CPU and 2 GB's of RAM and keep in mind I'm short overall 4GB of RAM!

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 01-25-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I do *no* actual work on my home pc, just basic ms word stuff, and browsing the internet... however, I did just try to do some video recording for some online music exchanges and bleah... this is a 5+ year old dell desktop (somethingorothermodel) running vista

problem is I have so many packages on here I am just too *d a n g* lazy to try to replace everything, and don't even know where all the discs are, even if I wanted to..

sort of debating what to do... the ipad I have is so easy to use, my wife was able to start her browsing around without me even showing her how.

was thinking about trying out some version of the mac mini... thoughts?

Last edited by RobS : 01-26-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Vista is crap. Buy the mega patch Win 7.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Vista works on this machine, and if I have to reinstall then I'm leaving all options on the table

edit: what I mean is: if I have to go through the trouble of reinstalling or replacing all the programs/applications I already
have installed on the vista machine, then I will consider a switch off of M$ altogether. Also not sure how much longer I want
to trust this particular desktop machine.

Now w.r.t. XP vs. other M$ versions, our IT switched over to win7pro and I have that on my dell laptop... not sure it's "better" but
clearly the re-install with a nice clean registry has done wonders for performance

Last edited by RobS : 01-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
clearly the re-install with a nice clean registry has done wonders for performance

Bingo! we have a winner.

As soon as you start installing other apps including most antivirus programs things start to slow down. Then of course for those who install AOHell all bets are off.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM

Yeah registry problems are still a mystery to me. Also phantom processes that can't be found or killed.

A clean install fixes most of these issues.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I have never found a Registry "Cleaning" software package that actually works. On the other hand a bunch of engineers at MS released a utility program a few years ago that showed everything running on a PC by object type and what it was for. However it was withdrawn from the free public distribution because it did not work half the time and any changes made by the user/program usually screwed up the PC. I had it for awhile but hardly used it because it was very complicated and THEN I read about the fiasco at MS.

A clean re-install of the OS is not a solution, it's an admission that the software is shit.

With all the various software packages I have on my PC for writing code, inspecting code, debugging code, plus digital image editing and the digital image "bits" that are saved for reuse it's a crime that I should have to re-install Windows. Done it too many times, a complete waste of time, which to me is money, and why I went back to Windows XP....... Even though I save 90% of my files on a separate hard disk and try to keep the C drive just for Windows OS. Only two programs don't cooperate, MS Outlook insists on saving the email (.PST) files with the program files and my legacy digital image editing software (Ulead/Corel PhotoImpact) does the same with the image "bits." You wouldn't believe how many times over the years I've had to "re-draw" the SS logo because the image bits were lost when I had to re-install Windows.

Rob, the Mac Mini is a fabulous machine I had one for awhile but I had to move up to a desktop because of image editing demands. Just get the basic model with standard RAM but I would also buy the separate CD/DVD drive ($79.00) and you will probably need a VGA or DVI adaptor for your monitor. You can add more memory on your own and even replace the hard disk with a SSD. If you want to use an Apple Layout Keyboard don't buy the Apple Wireless Bluetooth KB, it's too damn small and missing the numeric keypad. I'm using a Logitech K750 Solar Mac board, it's awesome. Picked it up at Staples for $58.00.

You don't need MS Office for Mac or Apple's Numbers & Pages. I have them but prefer to use "OpenOffice" it works and it's 100% free!

My last comment, my brother-in-law John is a good guy, works hard but like 90% of PC users, just not technical. Several years ago he bought a top of the line Dell plus the Dell support package. He got taken to the cleaners but got a lot of use out of Dell support!! The day came when he either did not re-up for support or more likely they dumped him. I became his "tech-support" and he drove me nuts for a few years. I think 99% of the problems were caused by his teenage son who would download and install anything...

When his son went off to college I persuaded John to buy him an Apple Laptop. No problems.

About 1-1/2 years ago after repeated calls to come fix the freaking Dell I told John that he either buy a Mac or pay me per hour for "house calls." I was trying to force John to buy a Mac and he did. Haven't had a single call since.

Cajoling John into buying a Mac was one of the best decisions I ever made

Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperKnight View Post
Vista is crap. Buy the mega patch Win 7.
Just saw this. When I installed Windows 7 on my MacPro running Parallels when Windows started I had to let MS install 136 updates. It took 2 hours!

The last major OS release by Apple was OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2, I think it cost $20 to $30. Since then there have been no more than 3 software updates taking at most 5 minutes each.

I am not a Apple "fan boy," my MacPro is from 2008, and I admit that Apple is not 100% perfect, it's just 99% perfect.

My FREE replacement Lifetime Warranty 4GB RAM from Other World Computing will be delivered by FedEx on Monday.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 AM

"Rob, the Mac Mini is a fabulous machine I had one for awhile but I had to move up to a desktop because of image editing demands. Just get the basic model with standard RAM but I would also buy the separate CD/DVD drive ($79.00) and you will probably need a VGA or DVI adaptor for your monitor. You can add more memory on your own and even replace the hard disk with a SSD. If you want to use an Apple Layout Keyboard don't buy the Apple Wireless Bluetooth KB, it's too damn small and missing the numeric keypad. I'm using a Logitech K750 Solar Mac board, it's awesome. Picked it up at Staples for $58.00."

Bob,

Sounds like a plan... thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Micro$oft is headed by an egotistical maniac without any vision:

"In June 2007, Apple unleashed the first iPhone touchscreen device onto the U.S. market, garnering widespread praise from critics and consumers, but hardly rattling its competitors.
Microsoft's chief executive Steve Ballmer famously dismissed the touchscreen device that year, saying "there's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.""

Microsoft's Biggest Problem Is Steve Ballmer: Former Exec
Kimihiro Hoshino | AFP | Getty Images
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer speaks at a special media event to announce the next generation Windows Phone, Windows Phone 8.
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer is not the right leader for the world's largest software company but holds his grip on it by systematically forcing out any rising manager who challenges his authority, claims a former senior executive who has written a book about his time at the company.
"For Microsoft to really get back in the game seriously, you need a big change in management," said Joachim Kempin, who worked at Microsoft between 1983 and 2002, overseeing the sales of Windows software to computer makers for part of that time. "As much as I respect Steve Ballmer, he may be part of that in the end."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100397951/Mic..._For mer_Exec
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM

just ordered the mac mini.

finally going to put Vista down after 8 or so years
Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Congratulations! Vista for 8 years!

If you are not familiar with Macs just be patient, there is a short learning curve or "unlearning" of PC methodology. Don't fret the different file system with Macs, nothing is ever lost or "breaks."

Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM

I'm sure I'll be able to adjust to a mac. I'm a little worried about my wife, who will be the primary daytime user. On the other hand, Vista security updates screwed up the system so often, that I just got sick and tired of rolling back or fixing them, and given the porous nature of M$ Vista, I couldn't afford to *not* update with new security patches.

She actually adapted to use my ipad fairly quickly once I showed her where safari was, so as long as I can set her up to "bing", open her email automatically from a launching icon on the desktop, and to get to ebay () I think she'll be happy.

And I won't get the calls in the middle of the day (your machine stopped working)