Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Default Has anyone fished in or near Lubec? New to salt...

Greetings all,

I'm a Pittsburgher heading to Lubec for the third year in a row. I'm a huge home cook, food nut, and seafood junky so the last 2 years I've been too busy crushing fresh lobster to think about fishing. Just recently lost my dad and fishing was our thing so I've picked up my licenses for the trip and figure I'll try and sneak away if possible for a few hours a couple of times. My mom's going to be there to keep the wife company so I doubt they'll notice I'm gone. OK enough rambling...

I've been Google searching and reading about tackle, species, etc and from what I'm seeing mackerel seems to be the abundant option and I'm not really seeing much about anything else. Has anyone fished in or around this area or heard of anyone who has? I wouldn't mind a few mackerel to take home for dinner but I was curious what else is around. We'll be there in mid October and will be staying in a long bay and there's also a harbor/wharf nearby.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice. Trying to give myself a 3 month crash course in saltwater. I do a ton of fresh water fishing (musky, walleye, hybrid stripers, catfish, carp, etc etc etc etc) so I'm sure I'll figure it out!

-Ron
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Has anyone fished in or near Lubec? New to salt...

Holy Cow! That's way up there! 161 miles farther than where I spent last week, in Tenants Harbor, near Rockland.

If you want to eat mackerel, and I ate nearly a dozen of them last week, keep them cold and eat them as soon as you can after catching them. They are much better when very fresh. I found them easy and delicious just gutted and grilled splayed open over a nice bed of coals. The spine and most of the bones lift right out after about 10 minutes of cooking and you're left with 2 nice little bite size filets.

A fresh water spinning rod with a mackerel jig or 2 on a light leader is all the tackle needed. You might find a public landing or dock where they'll be easy to catch if there are any around at all. You'll see- just cast out, let the jig sink into the water column some and reel in fairly quickly with some sweeping rod movements. The most important thing is to stay off the bottom. You will probably be able to take mackerel lessons from any 10 year olds there.

As for game fish, I can't help you much. Find moving water and ask questions if you can. Live mackerel make good bait as does cut mackerel.

Good luck