Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Remiss in duties

I have been most remiss is sending OBX reports. Suffice it to say that is has been an OUTSTANDING year on the banks for big drum. I will give some tournament results when I get a chance but I have all kinds of excuses and I've been fishing!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Remiss in duties

looking forward to reports and pics!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Fellow

Here is the summary of our NCBBA Red Drum Tourney. I will get one for the Cape Hatteras Anglers Club Tourney as well. I do know that in that tournament 720 anglers beached around 3700 fish.

It will take me a little time to resize and post some pictures. Next year we are going to assure that every judge is prepared to take pictures.

7th Annual NCBBA Red Drum Tournament

October 22-24, 2015

There were 292 participants, in which 35 of these were also judges competing for over $8,500.00 in cash & prizes. We have 8, Junior Anglers (under 16), 28, Female Anglers, 5 of which are seniors (over 65) and 65 Senior Male Anglers. They represent 14 different states. Allan Maly from Dallas, TX traveled the longest distance. Anglers can fish from Midnight (12:01 A.M.)Thursday, October 22nd until noon Saturday, October 24th. Each Ramp from #23 in Salvo to #38 in Avon is manned by a Judge that works a 6 hour shift before being relieved as the session ends. They then bring their score sheet to Tournament Headquarters for the Officials to tabulate & update the Leaderboard.

Frank & Fran?s in Avon, NC was once again the Tournament Headquarters. Registration began Wednesday at 10:00 A.M. Fishing began at Midnight with beautiful weather. The Citation Red Drum were here being caught once again! There were 38 Red Drum registered; 23 Citations, 6 Yearlings & 9 Puppy Drum caught with all being released alive!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 12-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Senior Fellow

Here's my buddy Dan Supplee with two hogs caught on consecutive days. Danny spends a lot of time fishing the Jersey shore but hits the beaches of Hatteras hard when he comes here. They were his first and second citation drum..... coming on consecutive days is extraordinary!
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Senior Fellow

Here's number two.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2015, 08:08 AM

Thanks.. what time of year was that for your buddy Danny? Coming down and trying to hit drum (black and red) on OBX is probably number 1 on my retirement list (not that I want to wait that long...!)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Thanks.. what time of year was that for your buddy Danny? Coming down and trying to hit drum (black and red) on OBX is probably number 1 on my retirement list (not that I want to wait that long...!)
Rob,

Danny caught these fish on 11/11 and 11/12. The prime fall season is pretty much from mid September through November. There is also a spring run which probably peaks in May. If you don't wait TOO long I'll be happy to help put you on a big one, or try like hell. I ALMOST enjoy watching someone catch a bull as I enjoy catching one myself. Bringing a big drum through the surf and onto the sand is an interesting challenge.

Cheers,
Al

Old 12-24-2015, 08:41 AM

Thanks, Al

I suspect it won't be for a couple of years.. Funny how the prime season is basically the same hear and there, with just a change of species!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Thanks, Al

I suspect it won't be for a couple of years.. Funny how the prime season is basically the same hear and there, with just a change of species!
My personal best striper came from a hole within a few hundred yards of where Danny caught these big reds. It was 46" long and caught on Jan 4, 2010. I released it so I don't know the weight but it had a helluva girth. They rarely visit south of the Oregon Inlet these days but you never know when a rogue will show up.