Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:14 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs down Beach replenishment

well, I haven't looked at the plan, but if you have a heartbeat in the surf, you know the AC jetties are the last in the area that are "true" productive rocks:

A controversial beach replenishment and dune building project on Absecon Island will begin soon, state officials announced.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a $63.3 million contract to the Cranford, N.J. based Weeks Marine Inc.
The work, a joint project by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and the Army Corps, involves building engineering beaches and dunes in Margate and Longport and replenishing beaches in Atlantic City and Ventnor.
?This project is vital to the protection of homes, businesses, lives and infrastructure in these Atlantic County communities,? NJDEP Commissioner Bob Martin said in a release.
Crews are set to begin before the end of the year and finish by next October, when 3.8 million cubic yards of new sand will be throughout the engineered dune and beach system.
Atlantic City will receive a 200-foot wide berm and a dune cresting nearly 15 feet above sea level, while Ventnor, Margate, and Longport will receive a 100-foot wide berm and a dune nearly 13 feet above sea level.

Understand that in Superstorm Sandy, Atlantic City suffered NO (zero) problems other than the backbay surge. NO PROBLEMS from the ocean due to the jetties, sea wall and commercial buildings, and it's height above the ocean.

Margate suffered NO problems from the ocean.

Longport had some issues but that's due to, well, Longport being the tip of the island... even so the end of the island is on Rock jetties that were built and have sustained it.

The problem with most of these communities is the backbay flooding... virtually ZERO problems from the ocean side with a few exceptions. The existing dune projects have worked in those areas already, as identified by LOCAL planners.

This is a Christie/State boondoggle project.

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/d...-to-begin-soon
Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Beach replenishment

"Atlantic City will receive a 200-foot wide berm and a dune cresting nearly 15 feet above sea level, while Ventnor, Margate, and Longport will receive a 100-foot wide berm and a dune nearly 13 feet above sea level. "

As I see it NJ wants the look of Miami beach Florida , Long Branch is coasting in that direction. It looks beautiful , residents love it , business w/ make $$$ , Fisherman hate it. I can see where you coming from

My vision of this surf game has driven me to the Trout rivers & streams more & more
I don't venture down your way its Mohegan Sun in Ct to gamble & catch the show , don't like salt water taffy Our winter home is getting populated w/ change . I'm going bald & the waist line is growing & little slower all around .