Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Mudhole

The Mudhole "The Mudhole" - This is the place for any area of discussion; National & World Events, Mud Slinging and Politics.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Senior Fellow

Default L L Bean

have seen on the news that some "anti-Trump" people have started a boycott of LL Bean because of a donation to a Pro-trump PAC; in response, I have gone to the Bean website and made a purchase; don't need to state what a great company this is; they replace waders that leak, shoes that fail, etc and are a terrific company to deal with; can't let this boycott go with no response
Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: L L Bean

only activists are going to boycott el beano.

remember, the lefties after the election are essentially like like scientologists that believe someone has attacked their church... cultists that are still drinking coolaid under the impression their leader really won, but the rest of the country just are not illuminated enough to realize it.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
have seen on the news that some "anti-Trump" people have started a boycott of LL Bean because of a donation to a Pro-trump PAC; in response, I have gone to the Bean website and made a purchase; don't need to state what a great company this is; they replace waders that leak, shoes that fail, etc and are a terrific company to deal with; can't let this boycott go with no response

RobS only activists are going to boycott el beano.

remember, the lefties after the election are essentially like like scientologists that believe someone has attacked their church... cultists that are still drinking coolaid under the impression their leader really won, but the rest of the country just are not illuminated enough to realize it.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Administrator

LLBean, fantastic store. I'll buy more now.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Funny I was just asking my wife permission to replace my +25 year old Bean Canvas/Rubber boots when I heard about this. I decided, XXXX LL Bean.

BTW $220 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a pair of Bean's insulated rubber boots. Went out to local boot shop and purchased American made, waterproof, insulated,all leather 8-1/2" Chippewa boots for $180. That is cheaper than Amazon's price!

http://www.ohiosamishcountry.com/lis...harm-ohio.html

PS: If you go the website above, - Yes it is freaking beautiful around here and yes there are too many damn Amish buggies all over the place.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
Funny I was just asking my wife permission to replace my +25 year old Bean Canvas/Rubber boots when I heard about this. I decided, XXXX LL Bean.

BTW $220 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a pair of Bean's insulated rubber boots. Went out to local boot shop and purchased American made, waterproof, insulated,all leather 8-1/2" Chippewa boots for $180. That is cheaper than Amazon's price!

http://www.ohiosamishcountry.com/lis...harm-ohio.html

PS: If you go the website above, - Yes it is freaking beautiful around here and yes there are too many damn Amish buggies all over the place.
Wouldn't bean have replaced them for free? The ones on my feet as i type this were free when my 10yr old ones split, no questions asked. Can't ask for anything better than that in customer service. I would have went back even if they donated to the criminal Hillary, I don't give a poop about that crap.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:43 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Talking Re: L L Bean

I think it would morally unethical to use a pair of boots for 25 years to the point of being worn out and then expect the company to replace them for free. Worn out is not a defect, excepting old surfcasters, we're lifelong "defects."

Old 01-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Talking Re: L L Bean

The it stands to reason that you are 100% satisfied with those boots, right?

100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

We make pieces that last, and if they don?t, we want to know about it. L.L. himself always said that he ?didn?t consider a sale complete until goods are worn out and the customer still satisfied.? Our guarantee is a handshake ? a promise that we?ll be fair to each other. So if something?s not working or fitting or standing up to its task or lasting as long as you think it should, we?ll take it back. We want to make sure we keep our guarantee the way it?s always been for over a century.
Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I think it would morally unethical to use a pair of boots for 25 years to the point of being worn out and then expect the company to replace them for free. Worn out is not a defect, excepting old surfcasters, we're lifelong "defects."
Acting on a company warranty is morally unethical. I can think of allot of things I think are morally unethical and all with a higher importance.
I guess people DO have different ethics, but its against my ethics to judge others with different opinions than mine, i think. Not sure where that one is on my list of character.

Sorry being to harsh here, there just a darn pair of boots.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Joe, don't get your panties in a twist.

1: I wasn't accusing you or anyone of a lapse in ethics.
2: Read the "100% Satisfaction...." posted above by Rob.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Joe, don't get your panties in a twist.

1: I wasn't accusing you or anyone of a lapse in ethics.
2: Read the "100% Satisfaction...." posted above by Rob.
Bob, I only accidentally put my wife's panties on once, it was dark, we were rushing. ...LOL . I'm taking my own advice I gave you on FB.

We all have different opinions on allot of stuff. Everyone I talk to here and on other social media, we disagree on things, but bottom line, always respect each other.
Maybe it should be like this everywhere. Imaging if it was a one way Country A bit of peaceful disagreement is GOOD.

Enough said, slipping on my LLBean low boots and taking the dog out.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

What I do know, is that if you get 25 years out of a pair a waders, you haven't been fishing enough.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM

beginning of the end?

Blame Trump!

APNewsBreak: L.L. Bean freezes pension, offers early outs
  • By DAVID SHARP Associated Press
FREEPORT, Maine (AP) — L.L. Bean is moving to cut costs by freezing pensions and offering voluntary early retirements, and company officials say they are taking a hard look at its generous shipping and return policies.

The Freeport-based outdoors retailer will freeze its defined-benefit pension plan and boost its 401(k) savings contributions to all 5,000 workers, including 1,000 out-of-state store employees who were not previously eligible for the full pension, company officials told The Associated Press.

It's part of a broader look at all aspects of the business, company officials said, which could lead to changes that affect shoppers.

L.L. Bean currently offers free shipping on everything, and its "satisfaction" guarantee is so liberal that it's led to abuse of the return policy. Company officials said they will have more to say later this year about shipping and efforts to combat fraudulent returns.

The privately held company expects to reduce its workforce by about 500 workers through early retirement incentives, said CEO Steve Smith. Other employment changes include more flexible time off, paid parental leave and paid eldercare support, benefits employees have been seeking, he said.

The employment changes were announced by Smith in a memo and in meetings with workers Thursday.

The changes, which go into effect next year, were in the works before Smith's arrival as CEO last year and unwanted publicity surrounding board member Linda Bean's campaign donations, officials said.

Chairman Shawn Gorman, great-grandson of founder L.L. Bean, said such decisions "weigh heavily" on the family-owned business. But he said they're necessary for the company to remain competitive.

"Without a healthy core business, it's really hard to satisfy any of the stakeholders," he told The Associated Press. "So the move is designed to get us to a more competitive and modern benefits package that allowed us to be sustainable for the foreseeable future."

The pension move is no big surprise in a challenging retail environment. L.L. Bean's sales were flat in 2015, and growth for the five years before that was slow.

Nationwide, the private sector has been eliminating pensions. In 2015, about one-fifth of Fortune 500 companies offered a traditional or hybrid defined benefit plan to new hires, down from 60 percent in 1998, according to business consulting firm Willis Towers Watson .

Smith said the goal is to return L.L. Bean to the strong growth levels the company experienced in the 1980s and 1990s.

"As long as your expenses are growing faster than your sales, then you're not able to invest in growth," Smith said. "What we're focused on is getting to where we're back in growth mode."
Old 02-17-2017, 08:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Code : SAVE25 for $25 off $100