Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Kayaks in SW Fishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
I didn't realize that about the Mirage Drive...good design
I forgot to add, you can put the pedals even with each other, and the fins go straight down like a keel, makes it very stable when taking waves from the side.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Rmarsh, when you say "setup" do you mean rod/reel/line or the kayak itself.
The rod and reel I was using on my first few trips was too light, the rod was too short and had no backbone......first big fish bent the rod down into the water and under the kayak...then to try to get the tip of the rod past the bow of the kayak to the side the fish has gone is difficult at best. As far as the reel I was using it was meant more for schoolies. I had better equipment meant for bigger fish but was afraid of loosing it in the drink. I started using leashes on everything I didn't want to lose.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
No first hand experience in my case but our daughter, Susan, has had big bass that she could not handle, even to release. It seem to depend upon the individual and type of challenges that person is faced with. Once you get to 40 pounds up, you are faced with beaching for the final stages of the situation. Be assured that if you fish long enough you will be confronted with challenges and hazards. That's why I want all hands to have on a PFD.
I had an encounter with a fish over forty that I could no way budge off of the bottom and raise up to my kayak where i could grab it. It was a long standoff in ten feet of water. I decide I had to beach the kayak and pull the fish in to the shallow surf. It was tricky getting out of the kayak and keeping hold of the rod and reel.

I started gaining line back getting the fish closer to the beach and could see it in the wash...when it spit the hook, the line went slack. In disbelief i threw my rod and reel down and ran over to the fish which I grabbed hold of by its body, but my grip was no good for the slime , I tried to get a hold of her lip or gills just as a wave hit me in the face, the fish was regaining strength and started getting away. I tried to grab again and got just the tail....couldn't hold on to that either and then she was gone.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM

I have dropped a lot of fish in the surf that were free that I grabbed anyway. One weighed 51 pounds at Green Hill RI Columbus Day weekend in 1966. I say that we should never give up.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM

I landed one fish that was probably in the 35+ pound range from the kayak. It gave me a "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" for a little bit til it tired out, but wasn't really a problem to land any more than normal. I use Lamiglas Triflex 7 foot TF7025 which is stout and not prone to snap if you "high stick" it, which you definitely want to avoid when the fish gets close. I snapped a different rod in half a few years back high sticking with a relatively small bluefish on the line.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM

Never broke a rod on a fish but I snapped one casting the Giant Pikie Minnow. I love that plug but it breaks rods and pulls muscles.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Overall, I think yak fishing can be dangerous when done by the wrong person. If you lose that paddle for any reason, you are screwed; reaching down to paddle with your hands is not very efficient propulsion. I would have a spare paddle somewhere and I would have a lanyard on the prime paddle as well. Ever hear the saying, "up the creek without a paddle?"
Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB3rd View Post
With the Hobie "mirage drive" you can push one pedal all the way forward and it tucks the fins up flat against the bottom of the yak. Reduces gliding resistance and you can get some glide. This is also what you do in very shallow water where you use the paddle, or when landing on a beach. It's a good system, durable. I never did any maintenance at all on mine for ten years besides rinsing it down every now and again and it still works fine. I bent the fins by hitting rocks, and used them bent for several years without problems. I finally replaced them last year with the newer faster finset. Still using the the original drive, with the new fins.
Oh man thats cool--- I have not read the whole thread yet, working my way thru but I had to comment...( forgot to get email notifications of posts so out of sight out of mind.now I'm playing catch up) I wrote earlier before scoring fish... I took out my yak in a bay near MTK.. got a load of blues and porgies... had a blast. I fixup up my old circa 2000 wilderness ride , leashed everything..no net btw. I met a friend in East hampton at 5:30 who hit a tree backing out of his own driveway. Broke my rudder... I lashed it up and chalk it up to a learning experience... I fished and fished but wanted a big fluke. So I paddled to a channel off Gardener Island thinking it had a big drop off? Way out there I saw that I had begun to sink....
My pal figured I was newbbie stupid and laughed his head off.... told me to take my scupper plug out.. So I found out how that worked . But I was still sinking... The broken rudder was attached to the yak by a screw in the stern that now was missing and just a hair above the waterline was a hole.. An extra few pounds of fish or enough time caused a lot of water to accumulate. We off loaded my gear and tried to paddle to an island . As I paddled it got more and more unstable. I'm really afraid of turning over and not being able to get back in the boat so I guess I have to practise that. I bailed rather than capsize... I swam the boat to the island in, thankfully, warm beautiful water...It took an hour and a half to reach shore..I was only worried when I thought the boat might sink...It was fine without me in it...Draining it and plugging the hole with a plastic bag and a driftwood plug got me back in the water and paddling to the beach. I'm waiting for repair material to arrive in the mail. In colder water I will have to get a PFD I guess
Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I forgot to add, you can put the pedals even with each other, and the fins go straight down like a keel, makes it very stable when taking waves from the side.

As Frank mentioned somewhere that . this is great for the right person.I'm probably the wrong person. I want to use it in the surf.. No wind/waves and paddle out... Aslo I'm stupid enough to think of it as a surfboard so I have yet to buy the PDF...

I'm already thinking of getting a new yak.. One without screws so close to the water line... Peddles and fins? and the rudder? That come up!!! Nice. I keep thinking that would be the first thing I would brake!

Pedlle vs paddle?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 AM

If there is even a modicum of risk, don't do it. You are dead for a long time. so many things can go wrong.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't try to launch or land on a surfy beach. I am lucky in that regard to live on the Long Island Sound.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Do you plan to kayak at night? We all know that night is the best fishing. I would prefer to be on land at night. Some SOB in a cabin cruiser could run you down .
Old 08-23-2017, 03:13 PM

I have done it at night, but not lately. I do spring and fall daytime, and will fish after dinner through sunset as well. I have various lights and strobes to use at night. I also fish an area which is reefy and rocky usually, so boats aren't too common. I would definitely stay away from boat traffic prone areas at night, and in the daytime as well for that matter as much as possible.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't try to launch or land on a surfy beach. I am lucky in that regard to live on the Long Island Sound.
I don't get something.. When you peddle there are fins that drop down? Can they come up so you could launch in the surf or fish very shallow water.. Can you beach her without worrying.. Perhaps I need more coffee and I'm being thick.

I did find a PDF I used for free diving... You exhale into it to blow it up so it is a start.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Bruce, they're PFD's not PDF's... A PDF won't help you if you dunk

The Hobie Mirage drive is removable, believe by pulling up, but for sw yak fishing you should not start on a front facing ocean beach unless it's flat. Best to start in protected backbay waters to get your 'yak legs'... it's a lot safer.

Reach out to Pat (row4fun) here or other kayak fishing buddies for tips, tricks for both safety and fishing from the yak, or for specific techniques because
there is no sense learning the hard way