Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Mudhole

The Mudhole "The Mudhole" - This is the place for any area of discussion; National & World Events, Mud Slinging and Politics.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Pot Heads running the world - killing ourselves softly

I'm anti-pot (Marijuana aka "Mary Jane" / Dope / Weed / Grass ...) for recreational use, perhaps with some restrictions. I just see no positives coming out of the dope movement (some caveats below).

An exception would be for severe, esp. terminal illnesses, e.g. proven medical uses.
Even for this, I see *no* benefit of allowing recreational use, or growing smokable weed, and I've never ever ever agreed with the argument that it's harmless, in any form.

Potheads now have been infecting our society for decades and it shows up in the ever decreasing sense of responsibility, initiative, drive, that infects our society as a whole, IMHO *only*. Feel free to disagree.

That all said, this thread is not about the decriminalization, and despite the title, not really about our rulers per se, but rather about harmful effects of pot, of which I believe we will discover many as serious study and usage increases.

First up: Blood Pressure

Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.
The risk grows with every year of use, they said.
The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.
"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.
"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."
Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.
The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005?2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.
For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.
The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.
The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1AP0JS
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Pot Heads running the world - killing ourselves softly

(CNN)As attitudes about marijuana shift around the world, researchers are warning parents that it's risky to keep it around children, especially those who are too young to know what it is.

The number of children who were admitted to emergency rooms for marijuana intoxication increased by 133% in France over an 11-year period, according to a new study.
Marijuana intoxication can occur when a child accidentally ingests a marijuana product or inhales marijuana smoke. Symptoms can vary based on the child's age and size but often include sleepiness, difficulty breathing, seizures or even coma. Effects usually last six to 24 hours.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 AM

more great health "benefits" of *smoking* pot:

Dangers of Smoking Marijuana

Marijuana is a greenish-gray mixture of the dried, shredded leaves, stems, seeds, and flowers of Cannabis sativa, the hemp plant. The main active chemical present in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). Apart from this it contains around 400 other dangerous chemicals.
Most users smoke marijuana with the help of hand-rolled cigarettes, some use pipes or water pipes called bongs. Special marijuana cigars called as blunts are very popular. Marijuana is also used to brew tea and is sometimes mixed into foods.
What are the short-term dangers of smoking marijuana?
  • Impaired memory and inability to learn
  • Difficulties in thinking and problem solving
  • Distorted Perception
  • Anxiety attacks or feelings of paranoia
  • Impaired muscle coordination and judgment
  • Increased susceptibility to infections
  • Burning and stinging of mouth and throat
  • Impairment in driving skills
  • Increases the heart rate in normal people and worsens heart rate in with heart disease or high blood pressure.
What are the long-term dangers of smoking marijuana?
    • Studies shows that the potential chemical -THC, present in marijuana adversely affect human brain and mental health.
    • Regular use of marijuana or K2 shows the same respiratory problems as cigarette smoking. Persistent coughing, symptoms of bronchitis and more frequent chest colds are possible symptoms.
    • Studies shows that long-term use of marijuana suppresses the production of hormones that help regulate the reproductive system both in men and women.
    • Highly increases the risk of heart attack in regular users.
    • Smoking marijuana on regular basis increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck.
    • It has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because of the various carcinogens present in it.
    • It may badly affect the immune system’s ability to fight disease.
    • Chronic marijuana use causes high levels of depression, anxiety.
    • Adversely affects the power of memory and learning.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 PM

I do not smoke, cigs or pot but what I remember about pot the few times I tried
it back in the high school days was always thinking that the affects of it were
no where near as bad as alcohol, so do we ban that also?
I have asked that question of quite a few people and they look at me like I am
crazy for asking. I like a drink now and then though I do not abuse it.
Alcohol is responsible for ruining many peoples lives so what do we do?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetty dog View Post
I do not smoke, cigs or pot but what I remember about pot the few times I tried
it back in the high school days was always thinking that the affects of it were
no where near as bad as alcohol, so do we ban that also?
I have asked that question of quite a few people and they look at me like I am
crazy for asking. I like a drink now and then though I do not abuse it.
Alcohol is responsible for ruining many peoples lives so what do we do?
Can anybody imagine what would happen if we decide to try to regulate all of the things that ruin people's lives? We already have a very difficult time trying to enforce the laws on the books right now, the courts can not keep up with it.

The mindset that thinks banning alcohol is necessary reminds me of being in school as a preteen and teenager and having the whole class punished for the actions of one or a few.

In the old days, police stations in areas I live(d) had signs, billboards out front either listing deaths by fire (and how many were without smoke alarms) or deaths by auto (and how many without seat belts). Today we have listings of heroin/opioid overdoses (and how many actually died). Sad, and a pretty good sign we should not be legalizing marijuana for recreational use unless we have solid proof that by legalizing it we can reduce opioid use.

Doug
Old 09-04-2017, 07:24 PM

It pales to what booze and beer does to people.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Senior Fellow

agree; argument is not that pot is good or harmless but that it is, in my view, less dangerous/harmful than alcohol; we send you to jail for pot and in Pa the state sells you alcohol
Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM

I am against full decriminalization of pot, but certainly it should not be a schedule 1 drug!

At the same time, I am against making recreational usage fully "legal".

As to data, it being "less dangerous/harmful", we only have anecdotal data at this point. States that have legalized pot are formally collecting that data, and there already have been some reports on those.

Clearly, addictive personalities will gravitate to whatever drug of choice is most available (and/or culturally acceptable) and depending on their individual dependency... ie alcohol vs opiods vs. whatever.

I see that the full legalization of pot will be, frankly, another money-grabbing attempt on the part of government, to the detriment of society. If you are anti, or at least suspicious of, big government, this should concern you.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Smoking cannabis DOES make people more violent: Project confirms for the first time that using the drug is the cause of crimes
  • Cannabis users more likely to commit violent crimes, research has shown
  • Study found there was a ?more constant relationship? between cannabis and violence than between alcohol or cocaine use and violence
  • More than 20 US states have legalised cannabis for medical purposes
By Steve Doughty for the Daily Mail
Published: 19:41 EDT, 4 October 2017 | Updated: 20:55 EDT, 4 October 2017
Cannabis users are more likely to commit violent crime, pioneering research has shown.
It warned those who smoke the drug regularly run an increased risk of using violence against others.
The project is the first to demonstrate that cannabis is not only linked with violent crime but is the cause.
Violent incidents monitored by the study based on the lives of more than 1,100 American psychiatric patients included assaults, attacks with weapons and rapes.
Scroll down for video
+2

Pictured: A CCTV image of the Somali-born Muhiddin Mire, 30, (left) during a shocking rampage at Leytonstone Tube station. A court heard his addiction to skunk cannabis had altered his brain to make him believe he was being followed by MI5

Researchers said that cannabis causes violence and they found no evidence that the link is the other way round ? ie that violent people are more likely to use cannabis.
There was no support, they added, for theories put forward by campaigners anxious to free the drug from the taint of links with crime.
The academics said the effect of cannabis use was clear and not diminished by other factors such as patients who were heavy drinkers of alcohol.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Another Pot Head, likely coming to NJ soon.

You'll be missing Christie when he's gone

Murphy and Guadagno clashed over perils, benefits of legal marijuana. Both were right.

Updated on Oct 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM EDT

Legalizing marijuana was a topic at the second and final gubernatorial debate Wednesday night. By Susan K. Livio | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

TRENTON -- During the second and final debate in the New Jersey governor's race , Republican nominee Kim Guadagno on Wednesday defended her opposition to legalizing marijuana by citing a report that says traffic deaths rose 48 percent in Colorado since voters approved the drug's recreational use.
Democratic nominee Phil Murphy tried to bolstered his argument for legalization Cannabis by pointing to numerous studies that say opioid overdoses are declining in states where recreational use is legal. Marijuana has been shown to be a pain reliever.
Minutes after the debate ended, Gov. Chris Christie -- a vehement opponent to legalizing pot -- tweeted a link to a different study that said pot smokers are twice as likely to abuse opiates. "philmurphynj is wrong," Christie wrote.

https://articles.nj.com/politics/ind...nd_benef .amp

Last edited by RobS : 10-31-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM

eek Re: Pot Heads running the world - killing ourselves softly

You want your pot, prepare to pay for it:

California to tax pot as much as 45%

by Aaron Smith @AaronSmithCNN October 31, 2017: 2:24 PM ET

This weed distributor is trying to fight 'big marijuana'

Buying legal marijuana in California could be pricey enough to keep the black market healthy.

Between customers, retailers and growers, taxes on cannabis may reach as high as 45% in parts of the state, according to a Fitch Ratings report. Those high taxes may keep consumers away from legal marijuana stores once the recreational retail market goes live on January 1.
"High effective tax rates on California cannabis may complicate the state's efforts to establish legal markets" said analysts Stephen Walsh and Karen Ribble in a Fitch Ratings report on California's marijuana taxes.
California marijuana consumers are going to have to pay a combination of state and local taxes that vary by municipality. Growers and sellers have their own taxes, too.
Consumers will pay a sales tax ranging from 22.25% to 24.25%, which includes the state excise tax of 15%, and additional state andlocal sales taxes ranging from 7.25% to 9.25%.
Local businesses will have to pay a tax ranging from 1% to 20% of gross receipts, or $1 to $50 per square foot of marijuana plants, according to the Fitch report.
In addition, farmers will be taxed $9.25 per ounce for flower, and $2.75 per ounce for leaves.
The Fitch report says this combination of state and local taxes for consumers, retailers and growers could keep portions of California's cannabis industry off the grid, where it has flourished for some time.
"California's black markets for cannabis were well established long before its voters legalized cannabis in November 2016 and are expected to dominate post-legalization production," said the Fitch report.
Among the eight states where recreational marijuana is legal, only Washington has a higher tax rate at about 50%.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/news...tch/index.html
Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Natural Hazard? Study Says Farming Marijuana Hurting Environment

Filed Under: Chris Melore, Environment, Forests, Marijuana, marijuana farming, Talkers
CBS Local ? Marijuana activists may argue that the plant is a natural remedy with many uses, but a new report is claiming that farming the drug has another harmful side-effect: it?s destroying the environment.
Researchers from Ithaca College say that the growing number of small pot farms being planted in remote forest areas are having a major impact on the local environment. The New York team points to forest fragmentation, soil erosion, and landslides as the main side-effects of inserting pot farms into the forest.

The college has previously outlined how commercial marijuana farming was poisoning forest animals with pesticides and dewatering streams by improper irrigation in states like California.
?Policymakers and planners need to enact specific environmental and land-use regulations to control cannabis crop expansion,? environmental studies professor Jake Brenner said in the college?s press release.
CBS Local ? Marijuana activists may argue that the plant is a natural remedy with many uses, but a new report is claiming that farming the drug has another harmful side-effect: it?s destroying the environment.
Researchers from Ithaca College say that the growing number of small pot farms being planted in remote forest areas are having a major impact on the local environment. The New York team points to forest fragmentation, soil erosion, and landslides as the main side-effects of inserting pot farms into the forest.

Last edited by RobS : 12-06-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:12 AM

Mysterious condition dubbed 'scromiting' hits weed smokers across the US and causes them to vomit AND scream
  • 'Scromiting' is becoming an all-too-familiar site at emergency rooms
  • The condition, called Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS), is not yet properly understood
  • Medical experts believe the symptoms appear from individuals using or consuming heavy amounts of marijuana over a long period of time
  • Doctors note that the condition could stem from the body being over saturated by cannabinoids, affecting the hypothalamus
  • Dr Aimee Moulin said she has seen a rise in cases since California legalized recreational marijuana last November

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cromiting.html
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM

eventually science will validate what I've believed all along, based on my anecdotal evidence growing up....

A Comeback for the Gateway Drug Theory?

By DOUGLAS QUENQUA

Photo

Credit iStock
If you grew up as part of the D.A.R.E. generation ? kids of the 1980s and ?90s who learned about drugs from alarmist public service announcements ? you know all too well the dangers of so-called gateway drugs. Go to bed with marijuana or beer, you were taught, and risk waking up with cocaine or heroin.
Three decades later, scientists and politicians still debate whether using ?soft? drugs necessarily leads a person down a slippery slope to the harder stuff. Critics note that marijuana has, in some cases, been shown to actually prevent people from abusing other substances. And even D.A.R.E. now acknowledges that the overwhelming majority of people who smoke pot or drink never graduate to pills and powders.
But new research is breathing fresh life into the perennially controversial theory, and the timing seems apt. As marijuana legalization and the opioid epidemic sweep across the country, parents are once again questioning the root causes of addiction. And politicians opposed to legalization, including Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, have routinely used the gateway effect as their chief argument against reform.
Is the science on their side?
A Columbia University study published in November in Science Advances showed that rats exposed to alcohol were far more likely than other rats to push a lever that released cocaine. The researchers also found that the alcohol suppressed two genes that normally act as cutoff switches for the effects of cocaine, creating a ?permissive environment? for the drug within the rodents? brains.
Continue reading the main story

A similar study from 2011 ? conducted by some of the same researchers, most notably Denise Kandel, who helped formulate the gateway theory in 1975 ? produced comparable findings using nicotine and mice.
Most critical to the viability of gateway theory, both studies found there was no enabling effect when the order of the drugs was reversed. Taking cocaine did not make the rodents more susceptible to the effects of alcohol or nicotine, supporting the idea that some drugs are better positioned than others to act as place-setters.
?Now that we?ve done the animal experiment, we see that using one drug changes your brain in such a way that using another drug becomes more rewarding,? said Dr. Kandel, a professor of sociology at Columbia University. ?And there is an order. Cocaine doesn?t create this effect.?
Old 12-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Rare And Mysterious Vomiting Illness Linked To Heavy Marijuana Use

Morning Edition
  • View Slideshow 1 of 2
    Chalfonte LeNee Queen of San Diego grappled with violent vomiting episodes for 17 years until she found out her illness was related to her marijuana use.
    Pauline Bartolone/California Healthline

Originally published on December 26, 2017 12:02 pm
For 17 years, Chalfonte LeNee Queen suffered periodic episodes of violent retching and abdominal pain that would knock her off her feet for days, sometimes leaving her writhing on the floor in pain.
"I've screamed out for death," says Queen, 48, who lives in San Diego. "I've cried out for my mom, who's been dead for 20 years, mentally not realizing she can't come to me."
Queen lost a modeling job after being mistaken for an alcoholic. She racked up tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills, and her nausea interrupted her sex life. Toward the end of her illness, the 5-foot-9-inch woman weighed just 109 pounds.
Throughout the nearly two decades of pain, vomiting and mental fog, Queen visited the hospital about three times a year, but doctors never got to the bottom of what was ailing her. By 2016, she thought she was dying, that she "must have some sort of cancer or something they can't detect," Queen recalls.
But she didn't have cancer. She had an obscure syndrome called cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, a condition only recently acknowledged by the medical community. It affects a small population ? namely, a subset of marijuana users who smoke multiple times a day for months, years or even decades.