Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 PM

Ok I don't really know much about fishing and a buddy and I are going to Sandy Point this weekend and renting a little boat. Could you provide me with any information that would help us out i.e what type of bait to bring and what can i expect to catch. Is the crabbing there any good?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 PM

Ok I don't really know much about fishing and a buddy and I are going to Sandy Point this weekend and renting a little boat. Could you provide me with any information that would help us out i.e what type of bait to bring and what can i expect to catch. Is the crabbing there any good?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM

I've got a bunch of white perch and spot there. Once caught a nice sea trout. I've seen pictures of HUGE stripers caught from SP, but I've never seen any big ones myself.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:00 PM

The bait of choice for SPSP is blood worms. Especially this time of year. This is when the big rockfish are around. I've done well for croaker using shrimp. Haven't crabbed there. Most folks fish from the beach, but a boat can get you out farther (if you cant cast)!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:22 PM
SS/Veteran

There are a good number of boats going out of the marina. Somtimes the piers of the bridge do real well. I only fished there a couple of times. If you go out in a small boat I wouldn't get too far away from shore. Anglers tackle store is near by. It would be a good place to get some advice on bait and tackle.

You might want to check out www.tidalfish.com

There are alot of guys that fish the Chesapeake on that site.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:11 PM

I fish Sandy Point almost exclusively. I caught my first croaker last night there. Most of the rockfish have spawned so they are hungry. Besides bloodworms, some cut bait might work now also. I'll be fishing the beach tommorow morning, trying for some post spawn rockfish and possibly some croaker.

If you are fishing from a boat tommorow, turn left when you get beyond the jetty. Parallel the beach for about a half mile. the will be a tree on the beach and another rock jetty. Anchor or drift this area. I'm sure you catch something.

As far as gear goes; Some of your freshwater bass rods will be adequate. just make sure the line is not old. I'd hate for you to lose a trophy rock because of old line.

Tight lines and screaming drags!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Default Re: fishing at sandy point state park

[quote=abslte23;872]Ok I don't really know much about fishing and a buddy and I are going to Sandy Point this weekend and renting a little boat. Could you provide me with any information that would help us out i.e what type of bait to bring and what can i expect to catch. Is the crabbing there any good?[/qu

If you want to catch spot and croaker the best combination is a sabiki rig with size 8 hooks baited with small pieces of bloodworms, which gives you not only scent but also flash that attracts them. A fishfinder rig with a small hook is my second favorite. For stripers use a fishfinder rig with a bigger hook and a whole bloodworm. For bluefish I prefer fresh cut spot or a small live one, if you're after a true monstrosity. I fished there in August with bloodworms and accidentally hooked into something huge with my sabiki rig, it took at least 50 yards off my reel before I lost it. The guy next to me also hooked a huge one and it broke his line. At sandy point you can catch big stripers and bluefish spring, summer, and fall if you fish in the right place with the right setup. The best place is the end of the jetty near the bay bridge or one of the three jettys to the far left.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Re: fishing at sandy point state park

Hello,
Does anyone have any tips on using lures at SP?
Also is there a nice Fishing store in the vicinity?
Thanks!