Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Senior Fellow

Default Closure of Cape Point

Unfortunately after being open for the last 660 consecutive days, less one for ordnance disposal, a closure of the last 1500 feet of Cape Point took place this morning. The development of "Shelly Island" last summer created an eventual merge of that sand bar with the main Point. It created a much expanded Point and also an ideal nesting sight for a few different species of birds.

The placement of the nests is such that a vehicle corridor is not possible. If you are thinking of heading to the Point to get in on what has been a classic drum bite you may wish to consider an alternative. There are 26 miles of beach open to ORV access at present. It's a guess that this closure could last into July depending on a number of different possibilities.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Closure of Cape Point

This is on OBX right? One of my goals is to get down there (retirement is coming in a year or 2) one of these springs
Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Good to hear some from the Carolinas. Keep them coming Squid.
The wife and I are looking down that way, SC, and was wondering about the fly fishing and surf casting options in the south.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Senior Fellow

If you like surf fishing I have found the Carolina coasts to offer nearly as many year around opportunities as the Keys and with almost as much variety. As far as fly fishing there are a few charter guys that specialize in it from sound side drum, tarpon, striper and trout fishing to offshore bill and tuna fishing.

My flailing fly attempts in the surf have left me with just a few minor injuries and no fish but I'm likely to try again. I think I can help if you let me know when you are going and what you wish to target.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
If you like surf fishing I have found the Carolina coasts to offer nearly as many year around opportunities as the Keys and with almost as much variety. As far as fly fishing there are a few charter guys that specialize in it from sound side drum, tarpon, striper and trout fishing to offshore bill and tuna fishing.

My flailing fly attempts in the surf have left me with just a few minor injuries and no fish but I'm likely to try again. I think I can help if you let me know when you are going and what you wish to target.
I'm not the best fly caster in the pot either S. Wife and I were tossing the thought around about heading south Fall this year or next. Looking more like next.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Senior Fellow

Com'n down y'all....and jump in the waters fine! When you get close I have some suggestions to places that appeal to different likes. My wife and I were just joking about folks who move to our neck of the woods and then lament that there is nothing to do. We think it is great but some of our friends who have moved here from suburbs up north are starting to go a bit crazy. There are plenty of areas left down south where you can still pee off the porch or set up your rifle range in your yard while being in reasonable striking distance of "entertainment." If the outdoors is your entertainment this area is great.