Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default The summer

Well summer is upon us in a few days, is it time to drop the rods in the garage and pick up the lawn chairs for the beach trips.
I have never been really hot on deep summer surfcasting, granted I do take the wife down to IBSP a couple times and soak some bait but, it just a time to kick back.

What's your fishing plans for the, maybe kind of down time. this summer? Go gung ho or wait for the cooler temps?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: The summer

Flounder until mid July; Clamming; If I have time will try for triggers and sheapshead.

Surfcasting consists of kingfish, and sharks (with kingfish heads ).

August I start searching for seabass and tog; Have to get through a million tiny to try for a couple of keepers.

Once the mullet run, it starts swinging back to the surf, with a chance to actually get a surf doormat when the mullet are running the shallows, up until 9/22 when it closes.

Kingfish and perhaps spot will be light fare in the surf at that time, as well as more sharks and beginning blues and some resi stripers.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Rob's itinerary . I like it.
Its a bit tougher up here in "upstate NY" My niece hates it when I call it that, she say's its "Capital Region"
Any way, I love heading down to IBSP, and now with family out east, Boston's south shore, the Cape and a bit of B'town's north shore. But, it's all driving more sometimes than fishing. So lately, kayak on the local lakes and some of the Adirondack rivers and streams. All for the most part less than an hour.
Getting hooked on the upper hudson as it flows into the Adirondacks for wading fly fishing.
So I guess, my summers will be in my home waters and through this site, I watch how all you guys are doing in the surf.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2018, 07:12 AM

Jim Freda's book is a great resource for NJ, even though it's a little dated, he outlines good access up and down the coast.

e.g.

https://fishermansheadquarters.com/f...-by-jim-freda/

sorry, this belonged in the other thread, but .. .here ya go
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 AM

I miss fishing freshwater rivers... but I plan on hitting one in particular over the summer, the Toms ... which is more a small brushy pine barren cedar creek, than a "river". It's unique in that it fishes better (for trout) the lower the water levels in that it's got spring influences which bring down the water temps when the surface discharge/draining slows down. Good in the summer, just have to watch out for ticks and kayaks.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:08 AM

I still hit the beach during summer month's. But I also do a lot of fly fishing for trout. Gotta fish.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Not sure how you guys are doing this summer but, its been consistently hot up here, I have been fishing the upper Hudson, and still having trouble getting fish to rise. But it sure cools me down.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Not sure how you guys are doing this summer but, its been consistently hot up here, I have been fishing the upper Hudson, and still having trouble getting fish to rise. But it sure cools me down.
was up on the E.Branch (66 -68 degrees ) late yesterday afternoon & this am Roscoe ( 68 degrees ) water temps / there were risers the smallest Sulfur / Iso / Hares Ear dry fly you can tye on .