Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New York

Fishing - New York The Empire State Fishing Reports and Information

Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Default it was a wash yesterday

literally ! what has producing for me the last 3 weeks was completely covered well before HT. 5'-7' waves w/ strong tide / storm on the move made getting to it w/ the 4x4 impossible, to go back after the drop is not safe or smart .
Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: it was a wash yesterday

Hook,

I know this is some of your territory...

ok, so the daughter moves to Levittown, and I'll be there early July for a week, most likely, as we have a new grandchild on the way.

What are the best options for beach access and fishing, my current MO for fishing is usually up around 4:30 to get out by 5 latest and hit some sand somewhere.
I gave up the all/mid nighters as it's disruptive for all the other work and family events that I get dragged into nowadays, though if there is action
a 11PM run is not out of the question, if I have some confidence of finding action.

Of course this is new territory for me, and they are a straight shot at Jones beach, a little over RM, and east further Smith Point.

None of the beach 4wd fees look daunting, even for short term, compared with Jersey, although I'm not sure about SP as that is a county park, not sure
how easy or expensive it is to get there, nor doable in July with the flutttering situation no doubt in flux. No matter what
I'm likely to be back out there September or so for a trip to the Holy City (Montauk, I'm considering a boat charter to chase albies on the fly), as well as 3rd week in November.

So, walk on options? drive on options?

where are my best places to head, as a newbie to LI, specifically the south shore?
I received some VERY Helpful info from another site, but knowing some here fish out that way, looking for some other recommendations.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM
SS/Veteran

congrats on in order on the new grandchild on the way as we are expecting our 1st G.son in Sept.

the early bite & not @ midnight also fits my style these years

I like J.B. you can hit front & inlet & back just like IBSP ,have very good bite & R.M front as they have easy walk to some very good fishing but as the Sept. / Oct / Nov / Dec I have the 4x4 Demo Point & you are welcome to come. I usually get there about 4:30am Personal invite Contact me for that . We are not Suffolk county residents so that is the better pass . You can get the NYS 4x4 pass since you will be out there more often . Just bring along an air hose to fill your tires , air station which was donated / provided by L.I.B.B.A @ R.M. As far as MY favorite beach spots are......Hummmm Land Sharks or Guinness to find them out . You will do well nothing different than NJ except for the muggers. We were traveling the Inside Passage the last couple of weeks w/ fantastic natural activity. Tight Lines
Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 AM

cool... my daugher went to JB for the first time on Mother's day, pics looked nice... and based on recommendations, sounds like a definite place to try.

I had heard some 4wd permits are only sold in the spring, what area(s) do(es) the NYS 4x4 get you into? Seems that Smiths Point is a county park? And someone mentioned the "golf course"... all this is new.

Anyhow, likely I'll have my hands full just exploring JB and making my first trek to Montauk at some point. Plan is to drop Grandma off and then keep heading out
Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Fishing the Point requires ( being hours away 3+ ) timing being retired has no problems , My 2x's last fall called for cancellations ( w/ NJ sports writer ) due to heavy winds, rains but finally made the outing some time later . PM your email I'll send you a treasure map . Don't ignore the North shore some big girls w/out the big surf is very enjoyable for the lighter rods & 8w.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 AM

pm sent.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM

Rob don't hesitate to "pm" me either just saw this stuff- Hook knows his stuff he always posts good stuff and knows the area! The state 4x4 permit would offer the most bang for your buck and access for one permit, the trick is they are sold until April's end and don't go on sale again until after Labor Day. Gives you access across the Island- Jones beach Robert Moses, Sunken Meadow on the North Shore, even Montauk parking right at the point and easy access. Gives a lot of night fishing and pre dawn access, it's a no brainer. I use the parking more than the 4x4 as I like to walk most areas from the truck and "lay low". Let me know if you have questions as well. Your daughter has you visiting a great area haha. You are gonna be right in Bentsen/JC territory another thing to keep in mind when looking through old threads. Google earth Jones beach and Robert Moses inlets and back bay areas and get back to me ALOT to explore...
-Phil
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Phil,

Will do... so guess I missed out on the 4x4 for most of this year, but will keep in mind for perhaps Sept / Oct if/when it looks like I'll do a run out to MT.

Thanks... once I get my feet wet in early July we'll see. Since Jones is so close I'll definitely hit that first.

Another acquaintance also gave me some spots at MT which correspond to Hook's info, so again... if I can swing it, will give that a go in Sept/Oct time frame.

All this is pure hype and speculation, of course, until I *actually* get out to fish. Can't count the times I've done year-planning that gets blown up by other circumstances. This spring being no exception. What was supposed to be a winter bathroom project has overflowed and is still ongoing, wiping out my ability to partake in the best fishing my local area has had in years. Soooo... we'll see

But def appreciate the info!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob ..Like the weather ,tides & the change of wind direction...somethings you never know .Changing diapers again might be a request by your little girl. There is always next year . lol
Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 AM

Diapers???? that's what GrandMA's are for