Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 PM

Cool Florida Fishing in May

I'm going to Florida mid May for a few days, I'll be at Marco Island.
I'd like to run out for a sunrise trip or 2 while the wife is still catching some zzz's. What fish can I expect within casting distance from the beach that will hit artificials and what type of artificials should I bring? Is a 4000 size reel good? Thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Florida Fishing in May

4000 is perfect 7'8'9' ( travel rod w/ xtra fast or fast action A Lot of different species w/ hit during the am , I really don't know which beach ?

if you use 15 -20 lb braid is fine w/ 30 lb leader I say 30 because of Snook & Macks Bluefish ( 30 " ) no snap , loop knot to :
soft plastic 1/4 oz lead head paddle tail
MirrOlure twitch bait ( suspending MR )
Top water , popper , or walk the dog style ( change to shorter leader 12" not needed to change to mono due to the short leader )
SHRIMP I like Yo-Zuri

Snook , Pomps, Mc's , Jacks , Trout , Bluefish

Tight Lines
Old 04-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Thanks hook. Just you tubed the loop knot. Do you tie like 10' of flouro or mono so you have enough leader to keep cutting and retying? Im unfamiliar because i always use TA clips but i am always interested in learning somthing new.
Does a snap or tactical anglers clip spook the fish?

Last edited by bunka bullsht : 04-30-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: you tube
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 PM

I was in Naples in March. My in-laws complex (private) is stocked with large mouth and to my surprise peacock bass. Not sure of you ever targeted peacock bass but they are a blast on light tackle. If I was you that would be my plan.
You can hit the passes at night for snook
And I have a great back bay kayak guide in everglades city
Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 PM

I think beach name is Marco beach in Marco island. It's just north of ten thousand island facing the gulf
Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
I was in Naples in March. My in-laws complex (private) is stocked with large mouth and to my surprise peacock bass. Not sure of you ever targeted peacock bass but they are a blast on light tackle. If I was you that would be my plan.
You can hit the passes at night for snook
And I have a great back bay kayak guide in everglades city
Thanks Dave. I wish I can fish more while I'm there but the Mrs will be there. I booked a tarpon charter for 1 of our 4 days there so she's already thinking 25% of our small vacation will be fishing. I'm just looking for one or two early sunrise trips while she's still in bed. Our hotel is right on the beach so that's my plan to make the most of my short amount of time. I remember seeing your posts of peacock bass. They are some beautys
Old 04-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
I'd like to run out for a sunrise trip or 2 while the wife is still catching some zzz's. What fish can I expect within casting distance from the beach that will hit artificials and what type of artificials should I bring? Is a 4000 size reel good? Thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2017, 10:35 PM

Tarpon, snook, redfish, speckled trout are all in season. One island north Sanibel, has great fishing, as I'm sure Marco does. The Burnsed family runs a great inshore guide service out of 'Tween Waters Marina on Captiva. Let me know if you'd like more info.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 AM

That is actually a good time for snook in the surf. Try fly casting, white clousers and cast almost parallel to shore, or spin white bucktails. Also, there is a place called Barefoot St. Park at the north end of Naples where a river dumps into the Gulf, Wiggins Pass. It's another good snook spot. You could toss plugs, the local boys have all the knowhow. I go light...I use a 7'6" St. Croix Tidemaster that has a Cabo reel with 15 lb braid or an 8 wt. fly rod. Good luck
Old 05-01-2017, 05:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Thanks hook. Just you tubed the loop knot. Do you tie like 10' of flouro or mono so you have enough leader to keep cutting and retying? Im unfamiliar because i always use TA clips but i am always interested in learning somthing new.
Does a snap or tactical anglers clip spook the fish?
it does not spook all fish BUT the very little weed , grass , you pick up wiil w/ a clip
& those fish definitely see it using the loop knot the tag end points / faces toward your main line = MirrOlure knot or Rapala Knot is easy . leave 1/4 " tag

from what I learned fishing the Fla. beaches there is no need to wade in the water as I have taken Snook up to 42" as close as 3' from the waters edge , best to cast parallel the shoreline , even the smallest Snook have gill plates that will cut almost anything less than 30 lb floro , if it didn't you were one lucky catch . Snook will make you forget about Stripers quickly .

If Spanish Macs are around wire leader is the way to go & retrieve fast = they like flash .
Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

what Hook said

I recall snorkeling at Sanibel one year and there was a lip at this beach feet from the dry sand, and the snook would follow this corridor right past where we were.

It's easy to forget as I did when I was down there in March (different location but my observation off the pier was the same.. .snook at the lip... just not many where I was)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Re: Florida Fishing in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrock View Post
That is actually a good time for snook in the surf. Try fly casting, white clousers and cast almost parallel to shore, or spin white bucktails. Also, there is a place called Barefoot St. Park at the north end of Naples where a river dumps into the Gulf, Wiggins Pass. It's another good snook spot. You could toss plugs, the local boys have all the knowhow. I go light...I use a 7'6" St. Croix Tidemaster that has a Cabo reel with 15 lb braid or an 8 wt. fly rod. Good luck
Thank you for all your advice. Funny, I just ordered the 7'6" tidemaster travel rod last night. I'm going to order 15# braid, any preference on color/brand?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
it does not spook all fish BUT the very little weed , grass , you pick up wiil w/ a clip
& those fish definitely see it using the loop knot the tag end points / faces toward your main line = MirrOlure knot or Rapala Knot is easy . leave 1/4 " tag

from what I learned fishing the Fla. beaches there is no need to wade in the water as I have taken Snook up to 42" as close as 3' from the waters edge , best to cast parallel the shoreline , even the smallest Snook have gill plates that will cut almost anything less than 30 lb floro , if it didn't you were one lucky catch . Snook will make you forget about Stripers quickly .

If Spanish Macs are around wire leader is the way to go & retrieve fast = they like flash .
Thank you for all the advice hook. I plan on putting 15# braid. Any preference color/brand?

Also, can you explain, do I tie like 15' of 30# flouro so I have enough flouro to keep cutting when changing plugs? Do I tie on a swivel at some point? I am using a spinning outfit
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM
SS/Veteran

No swivel ever only time I use a swivel is with a cast master or metal that spins a lot
double uni main line to floro leader , no more than 30" or so Macks will bite the swivel and bite you off if used to connect main line to leader , loop knot so no need for it there
But yes you re tye a lot but it's very affective if you don't like the knot your tying cut it and start all over the knot has to be perfect every time , leave a small tag end as floro will slip a little .
I use Ohero braid in all colors blue , yellow it don't matter with 30" of leader