Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Florida Fishing in May

Just got back from the guided trip for tarpon. They were finning and rolling all all around us early (100-200# class fish in 4ft of water, captain's guesstimate), had a few hookups at that time, but never got to fight them. Very frustrating but I think his knots were pulling, almost immediately. One pulled on the hookset. He said sharks were biting us off but never got any leader back, just braid. I started watching him closely tie his knots, he left 0 tag end, cut the tag flush to the knot. Not to mention he wasn't lubing his knots and cinching with much force. Anyone see that as a problem beside me?
At the end of the trip we landed 3 blacktip sharks, 30# being the biggest. Expensive trip for blacktips, but atleast I saw some other boats fighting tarpon and every once in a while out of nowhere you'd see them freejump. Beautiful fish...maybe next time. Just not with this guy
Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Name:  tmp_17192-20170511_12531820429863.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  64.0 KB
Name:  tmp_17192-20170511_1254071914683326.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  35.5 KB
Name:  tmp_17192-20170511_1253351582931042.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  25.1 KB
Old 05-11-2017, 04:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for sharing
Old 05-11-2017, 04:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Knot deserving of a gratuity in my book, just like a bad meal Don't go back to this guy is correct .
Old 05-11-2017, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: Florida Fishing in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Knot deserving of a gratuity in my book, just like a bad meal Don't go back to this guy is correct .
^^^ I see what you did there
Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I've run into bad knots / lazy guides a few times. One on a tuna trip out of the cape, cost us a few big fish. The captain really chewed out the mate who was, in fact, responsible... thankfully we still put some quality fish in the boat afterwards so no harm no foul.

Tarpon fishing, I was out with a guide primarily for fly fishing, but after fighting multiple days of 30knot winds we finally went with some crabs to an inlet.

I hooked two nice 50lb class tarpon on two casts... each time I go to fight them air born and then a bit more when the line and/or knots gave... never could quite figure it out. He was embarrased since two rods failed, I was happy enough to fight them for a while, but I'd never trust this guy for spin fishing again
Old 05-12-2017, 01:48 PM
SS/Veteran

^^ this is why I bring my own equipment , here are a few points into booking a guide
# 1 i don't book a trip unless its 3 days before the sail , weather
#2 the capt. don't fish ! period , teach me , show me where to cast /present
#3 I ask the guide before the booking if he can teach me about the waters , ecosystem , structure, bait migration , ect
#4 the Capt is expected to catch in all conditions if he can't move on
these are a few questions I have about 6 more before the booking

we learn from failed attempts , its ok but not to happen again
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM

good job Ante...how come you do not wade off the beach to catch them?...all released?...have a good time
Old 05-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
good job Ante...how come you do not wade off the beach to catch them?...all released?...have a good time
Yes, everything released. I thought best chance i had in hooking these fish was a chartered boat, which was the right move IMO , these fish for the most part stood hundreds of yards off the beach constantly rolling and jumping. I only saw 1 jump about 100 yards off the beach. If this guy only knew how to tie knots we would have seen 3 big fish in the first 2 hours.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Thumbs up Re: Florida Fishing in May

Snuck out for some sunrise fishing while the Mrs was catching some zzz's. Started out with me wading to the 2nd bar. 3rd cast landed a Spanish mackerel. While unhooking I remember my phone is in my bathing suit pocket getting soaked, thinking now if it's broken, florida turned out to be a real expensive fishing trip for me LOL.
Rob, if your reading, I thought of you when I lost my small mag darter after the first mackerel. I think it was you that advised not to use a swivel. When I lost the mag, it was bc a mackerel hit the swivel like you said it would. I got the swivel back with about 1/2" of leader, bye MD. After I lost it, nothing in my bag would raise a hit. A gentleman to my left was scoring fish after fish. When he had enough I asked him what he was throwing, he said it was a mirradine and he gave me one.
Next cast with his lure, I got my tarpon, just not nearly as big as I wanted, then it got me shaking the treble right into my finger just past the barb. Freaked out for a second then backed it out with minimal damage. Was a small hook, lost about 5 drops of blood then washed it in the salt.
Ended up with 2 tarpon around 16", love how they jumped when hooked, 5 Spanish macks, 1 pompano. Also lost many others and a couple other tarpon that really SPIT the hook. All this because a really nice fisherman shared his lure. Hope to run into him tonight to buy him a couple drinks.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:56 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

awesome stories BB... thanks for sharing, seems like you are having a (tho' expensive phone ... I've done that DOH!) time
Old 05-13-2017, 12:10 PM
SS/Veteran

bunka WTG ! if you go back re read my post to you its called MirrOlure " Mirrodine" , been using them for decades , they come in suspending , sinking , yes the hooks are small but catch big fish , Tarpon in the 30-40lbs Stripers 20-30lb class on them changing the hooks to their NEW Nickle just a little larger size will hold more catches . happy for you .
Old 05-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
bunka WTG ! if you go back re read my post to you its called MirrOlure " Mirrodine" , been using them for decades , they come in suspending , sinking , yes the hooks are small but catch big fish , Tarpon in the 30-40lbs Stripers 20-30lb class on them changing the hooks to their NEW Nickle just a little larger size will hold more catches . happy for you .
I missed the mirrodine part. I brought my mirrolure soft plastic bodies. I did buy that 3d yozuri shrimp you mentioned though. Although nothing on it this morning, I like that lure a lot and I will catch fish on it one day.
I just got back from the Wal-Mart in Naples, bought 2 mirrodines. Hope I see that angler out tomorrow morning so I can return his lure. That lure got some mojo!
Old 05-13-2017, 03:57 PM
SS/Veteran

The soft bodies were proberly the Paul Brown 's

if you like flats / Florida style fishing there is a guide up from you St Petersburg his name C.A. Richardson , he has a TV show on WFN called Flats Class , I know him as a really good teacher & guide .

My other main man Jose Wejebe ( RIP ) his show is The Spanish Fly. Fly fishing beaches , Everglades also .

many inches of rain the last 48 hours here in the N.E. going on tight lines
Old 05-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Probably 90% of the fish I've caught on lures in Florida have been on the mirrodine suspending twitch bait. The variety I've caught on this lure is incredible: Jacks, Spanish Mack, Sheepshead, Snook, Reds, Speckled Trout, Ladyfish etc...