Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Re: November & December Fishing Reports 2017

As long as a fisherman keeps the fish withing the fishing regulation limits I have no problem with that...we have to trust that the government will do with their decisions the best for the most people and the fishery...
I would be curious to find out how many people would still fish if the bass ( or any other fish) would be catch and release only...
Many of us do it as an outdoor activity, way of socializing with other fellow fishermen, challenge of catching etc etc...but I would say there are a lot of people that fishing puts a meal on their table...so it is not that simple
Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
[W]e have to trust that the government will do with their decisions the best for the most people and the fishery...
Trust the government? Lol.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM
SS/Insider

I don't want to get into a "trust the government" fight because people have set their minds on a position and will never change, so let's focus on the concern for the fish.
I know that many boat fishermen are conscientious people who aren't killing everything they catch. However, anybody who has been on the beaches this fall HAS to see that it's become too easy to A. locate and B. catch these fish, especially when they are on bunker.
I always thought it would be a good idea to make a no-keep rule for the spring run when the fish are heading to spawn. That would ensure that the majority of females will get to lay their eggs, which would result in numbers that might better withstand the beating these fish take in the fall. Wouldn't that be a start? And if everybody hates the idea of the government being involved, maybe an organized movement within the ranks of fishermen. Peer pressure. Stop keeping big girls in the spring. Let 'em breed. I don't know. But this is getting depressing.
Somebody mentioned the Cape Cod Canal. That place should be called the Shooting Fish in a Barrel Canal. Disgusting.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM

I thoroughly enjoy the reports but rarely comment. I have been recreational fishing for over 55 years, so I'm old.
While impressed that there are discussions on conserving the fishery, the attitude of today's recreational fishermen, makes it nearly impossible to better conserve. Regardless of government regulations or their ineffectiveness, I don't see today's mentality of self satisfaction now, being trumped by common sense.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
SS/Insider

Art, I just hope you're wrong. I have to say that the guys I fish with are C & R 99% of the time. Might be an interesting survey to put out here: How many fish have you kept this year?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Senior Fellow

I really like the idea of no keepers in the spring; Tog has a season of 4, then zero, then 1 then 6 so variable numbers are reasonable; anyone who wants food should maybe consider tog....tastes better than bass and are easier to locate; also need a true slot approach...one fish maybe 25-32 in the Fall and none in the Spring
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 PM

I don't keep fish, I fish 100% plugs but change out all the treble hooks to single.
I don't doubt that most folks on this site enjoy as well as respect recreational fishing. However, my observations, at IBSP and that area, of how both the blues and bass are handled, thrown up on the beach along with all of the garbage left behind, has formed my opinion of today's animals that fish. Again, just my opinion, but, facts are very hard to change. Just walk the beaches in that area after the blues hang around for a few weeks or there is a legitimate bass run and see what's left on the beach. Ask the question; "how many of those fishing at that time, fish when fish are scarce?" If one enjoys fishing, why are the crowds inordinately larger when the blues are in thick or there is bunker just off the beach."
Old 11-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
As long as a fisherman keeps the fish withing the fishing regulation limits I have no problem with that...we have to trust that the government will do with their decisions the best for the most people and the fishery...
I would be curious to find out how many people would still fish if the bass ( or any other fish) would be catch and release only...
Many of us do it as an outdoor activity, way of socializing with other fellow fishermen, challenge of catching etc etc...but I would say there are a lot of people that fishing puts a meal on their table...so it is not that simple
sometimes it is hard to trust the government when their decisions are based on politics and it is usually too late by time they step in, do it now before it is too late and they have to close the season for an extended period
drain the swamp
Old 11-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Senior Member Team SS

1 slot fish 24 to under 28 their the best eating anyway and most fish 30 and under are male. after the moratorium that's what helped bring em back so put it back again

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 11-21-2017, 02:44 PM
SS/Insider

All valid points. Something has to happen or our grandchildren will have to look at pictures to see striped bass.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:47 PM

You really have to have to close the season for regulations to be effective. There's always a small percentage who will ignore the regs but this really gives the stocks a chance to regenerate. With the amount of boat and surf anglers out there the two over 28 ain't gonna cut it forever.
Not to beat up the boat guys but catching stripers from a boat when the bunker are thick isn't even a sport. At least the surf guys have to wait for the opportunity for the fish to come in casting range. Gives the bass a fighting chance.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:24 AM

Does each generation need to see stripers almost go extinct? Are people (fisheries managers, fishermen, politicians) missing the clues or just ignoring them?

I travel the northeast for work (and a little fishing) and see the clues everywhere I go.

Susquehanna Flats spring fishery a bust where 100 fish days were once routine. Very few fish off the Elizabeth Islands this year, Montauk in a steep decline, Long Island Surfcasters wondering where all the fish are.

There seems to be a rapidly declining mass of big fish that worked their way through the canal and have now found the bunker schools but not a whole lot happening outside of that.

Mark C
Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
I really like the idea of no keepers in the spring .... also need a true slot approach...one fish maybe 25-32 in the Fall and none in the Spring
Makes sense for some, but not all.

No keepers in the Spring would kill the headboats. $65 for 3/4 a day fishing for blues won't cut it. Maybe a different reg for them. 2 fish up to 32" in the Spring? They might be ok with that if they were, at least during the Spring run, the only game in town for the meat guys. Might even things out for them if the business drops off in the Fall.

As a lot of anglers are in it solely for the sport of it, I think there may be room for a "Sportsman Tag" for larger fish during the Fall Run. $25 per tag?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
1 slot fish 24 to under 28 their the best eating anyway and most fish 30 and under are male. after the moratorium that's what helped bring em back so put it back again
I agree But we can't do this on our own with the regs the way they are now. I am also in favor of no spring kills. But this will not happen until there is a real crisis.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:05 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

You can't go with the headboat lost business argument, because if the fish aren't there any longer, no one will pay $65 anyways. For their sake, better hope the management folks get their act together or there won't be a fishery in the Spring or the Fall.