Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Re: March & April 2018 Fishing Reports

I've landed 5 nice roe shad so far this week, 4 yesterday in Easton and 1 at lunch today below Lambertville. If I catch one tomorrow, especially if it's a buck or badly hooked, it'll come to the beach with me later in the season for bait.
...but not Wednesday when I plan to hit the point at Sandy Hook. I've been thinking of trying a new spot and met a couple smart guys who'd done very well there on Saturday and recommended I try it. They run a shop in Easton, PA called Artifice Fly Company. I won't be doing the fly in the salt thing, but might attempt bucktails or deep swimmers. We'll see... Any recommendations from those of you who are more familiar with that part of the world?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Senior Fellow

It’s a long walk. Prepare
Old 04-23-2018, 04:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Joseph , how do those shad freeze? Fishable after they thaw?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 PM

Joseph, find the moving water. Throw swimmers, SP's work well, Red/white mag darter any time of the day or night, bucktails, and if you can get your hands on a RG glider do so, they are amazing.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I've landed 5 nice roe shad so far this week, 4 yesterday in Easton and 1 at lunch today below Lambertville. If I catch one tomorrow, especially if it's a buck or badly hooked, it'll come to the beach with me later in the season for bait.
...but not Wednesday when I plan to hit the point at Sandy Hook. I've been thinking of trying a new spot and met a couple smart guys who'd done very well there on Saturday and recommended I try it. They run a shop in Easton, PA called Artifice Fly Company. I won't be doing the fly in the salt thing, but might attempt bucktails or deep swimmers. We'll see... Any recommendations from those of you who are more familiar with that part of the world?
Bring a bunker snag, there around. But, please don?t feed the seal.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM

Don, Shad freezes very nicely. I had it recommended to me by one of my shad fishing buddies. He said he's used them for years. Cut the shad into 1.5 inch steaks and put a couple in a ziploc sandwich bag with a 1/2 tsp of salt and bit of water. Put the sandwich bags into a larger ziploc and you're good to go. Using shad last spring and fall it seemed like I got 2 fish to every one caught by adjacent bunker users. I think it's just more oily or a better class of oil. Only the fish can say for sure.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the tips everybody. We'll see if the weather cooperates. I'll be going even if it's raining, as long as it's not too horrible and windy.
Bayyaker, I'll watch out for the seal. As I read your post I had a mental image of snagging the seal and ensuing bad consequences.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:43 PM

Finally launched the boat on Saturday and did a little afternoon break in trip and fishing.

Started off casting/jigging shads & bucktails with only 4-5 missed/dropped fish to show for it. Switched over to chunking for 1.5-2 hours without a tap. Bring out the big wood and get 2 fish in 10 mintes in the same exact area...continued to pick at them until the sun went down and then called it a day.

Sunday I cancelled my trip on my boat knowing it was going to suck. Decided to hop on a friend's boat at the last minute and essentially went for a boat ride - I think anything that floats was in Raritan Bay putting the fish down. Called it quits early and hit up a dock n dine for drinks.
Name:  IMG_20180421_191253.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  107.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20180421_193448.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  107.0 KB
Old 04-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Sunday was really crazy in Raritan Bay...but who can blame those boaters...this was the first nice day after a while...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Finally launched the boat on Saturday and did a little afternoon break in trip and fishing.

Started off casting/jigging shads & bucktails with only 4-5 missed/dropped fish to show for it. Switched over to chunking for 1.5-2 hours without a tap. Bring out the big wood and get 2 fish in 10 mintes in the same exact area...continued to pick at them until the sun went down and then called it a day.

Sunday I cancelled my trip on my boat knowing it was going to suck. Decided to hop on a friend's boat at the last minute and essentially went for a boat ride - I think anything that floats was in Raritan Bay putting the fish down. Called it quits early and hit up a dock n dine for drinks.
Attachment 16528
Attachment 16529
Never cease to amaze me with the fish you catch! Well done man!!

I was out trolling on Sat and landed 4 fish- 3 keepers 1 short. Took 2 for the table (i was with someone else hence the 2 keepers on board) and threw others back. Just happy the weather finally turned and we have some nice days!!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 PM

Mr bayyaker those fish are full with eggs and their on their way to have babies. Don't you think that the snag Bunker is not a option in this time of the year. Many times those fish die after the swallow that big hook. Even if you released looking on good health. Let's Think on the future guy's please.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper01 View Post
Mr bayyaker those fish are full with eggs and their on their way to have babies. Don't you think that the snag Bunker is not a option in this time of the year. Many times those fish die after the swallow that big hook. Even if you released looking on good health. Let's Think on the future guy's please.
In the dozens (maybe hundreds?) of times I have fished with BayYaker I have never seen him kill/harvest one bass. I am pretty sure he means bring a bunker snag to catch bunker and chunk it up not liveline.

Anyway plugs can be very deadly too...I have harvested two fish this spring already because they absolutely inhaled the plugs so deep and were bleeding terribly.

See my picture just above, that is a 5oz pikie probably 10" long and only a little piece is sticking out of the fishes mouth.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Good for you John. I had to erase 2 posts but then realized they're probably just trolling.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:

Nice catching!!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper01 View Post
Quote:
In the dozens (maybe hundreds?) of times I have fished with BayYaker I have never seen him kill/harvest one bass. I am pretty sure he means bring a bunker snag to catch bunker and chunk it up not liveline.
I once seen Mr. BayYaker give CPR to a bass