Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

Moco in the afternoon fished three of the last four hours of outgoing with an ESE wind that increased. There was a waist high choppy swell. Two ten inch flat ones and one even smaller, along with a sundial and large sea robin. I was using casting gear with a white bucktail and a clouser as a teaser. I snagged the tiniest of snapper blues on the teaser right in the wash.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Gave it a shot from 630-830pm. Fished an area where the wind was moving with the current & managed 1 flatty at 13". Lots of salad moving around today. Was nice to get to the salt today though, enjoyed the breeze.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs up Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Moco in the afternoon fished three of the last four hours of outgoing with an ESE wind that increased. There was a waist high choppy swell. Two ten inch flat ones and one even smaller, along with a sundial and large sea robin. I was using casting gear with a white bucktail and a clouser as a teaser. I snagged the tiniest of snapper blues on the teaser right in the wash.

nice on the snapper blue... think that's the smallest snagged one I've ever seen.

btw, someone asked about bait... THEY'RE flounder candy in all sizes almost up to a small adult bunker (not quite... just sayin')
Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Senior Fellow

lots of weeds floating around this morning; did not stay long; last night gave it about 30 min and had one fluke on chartreuse gulp about 15in
Old 06-22-2018, 09:51 AM

I was kayak fishing Long Island Sound on Thursday...7.30AM to 3pm...solo trip...what a beautiful day after light rain in the morning...it did not start well ...I lost mt first fluke (possible keeper) at the kayak as I mishandled my net...but then as I was casting around rock of pile for porgies with 1/2oz jig got a massive hit and after 15 minute fight I netted 30" bass on my light rod...really unexpected...15 minutes after that I got my first 19.5" fluke keeper in Long Island Sound this season ( after 3 trips) ...I caught 3 more shorts...at the end I caught a nice 16.5" porgy on bucktail and that was all...kind of slow but the results were good...it seems that fluking in western LIS is still an enigma for me...very sporadic bite with long periods of casting and drifting without any hit...without numerous sea robins that entertained me it would have been really boring...btw bunker was all over splashing and having fun since nothing was harassing them
Old 06-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Anyone know if the BL at SH is closed to fishing? I remember someone saying that area is off limits now?
Old 06-23-2018, 10:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
Anyone know if the BL at SH is closed to fishing? I remember someone saying that area is off limits now?
Bunk, it was open all spring but haven't been there in June. Also, Not sure if that area is in plover territory.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:39 PM

Late report from Friday. I did some jweetty jumping new an inlet in Atlantic county. Zip for me but saw a nice tide runner weakfish get caught nearby by an angler targeting fluke.

Today OC at the big park. High tide strong ENE wind pushed the swell up onto the beach. The coast guard was the only vessel I observed. I switched to the back with no luck. Every cast was loaded with lettuce on its way back.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Bunk, it was open all spring but haven't been there in June. Also, Not sure if that area is in plover territory.
Thanks don
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 PM

Moco Outfront in the afternoon approaching flood tide.thee was strong SSE wind and a choppy chest high swell with current sweeping right to left. I ws using casting gear and barely holding bottom with an once and a half. I caught when sundial and moved.

I arrived at a backside spot and used lighter casting gear and the hammered spoon with teaser It resulted in a decent flat one at 20 inches. The thunder boomers drove me off as the sun set.

The teaser was a white and pink clouser that I tied with plastic eyes instead of lead dumbbells. Fish took the teaser and I suspect they were feeding on grass shrimp as the tide began to drop.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 PM

First post in a long time

Hit SH with my son, looking for fluke. Borrowed pauls method of hammered spoon with a flag on the bottom, i used gulp on teaser . Six shorts for me, twice as many robins. Patrick came out on top, with our first keeper there in years, an even 20”.

He caught it rapidly jigging a bucktail with chartreuse gulp.

We fished last of income tide, water was pretty clear. Only bait in the wash was tons of small mole crabs
Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 AM

FPOS, Glad you caught some. That a good day outag especially the way things have been lately from the sand!
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Went yesterday to RB for some fluking from the kayak...6am to 3pm...very hot and humid in afternoon.. water temps got to 74F...it started slow but the bite picked up in the afternoon during incoming tide...fish were mostly short ..3 keepers I got would not be keepers in NY...about 30 shorts with several jumbo sea robins...kept 3 to try them on the grill ...
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Fellow

amazing having been raised in NJ in Ocean Twsp and fishing the rocks and the inlets how sea robins have gone from "oh no another trash fish" to "wow, something tasty for the grill"....can dogfish be far behind
Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Smile Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

Bill: Since North Atlantic cod fishing bottomed out the Brits have been serving dogfish for decades as a substitute in their fish and chips.