Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

thanks; next trip over I know what not to order
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Weekend wrap up for me - Friday night blown out of Saltwater I hopped on a friend's freshwater boat and did some night time trout fishing. Ended up with 20 rainbows. Pretty cool to try new fisheries, completely different than anything I have done before.

Ton of bait in the lights all night
Name:  1234.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  46.2 KB
Sunday I hopped on a friend's boat, they haven't fished in a long time.

Tough conditions in the bay but we got lucky and got the call which allowed us to put a bunch in the box before we lost the tide.

Nice day on the water!
Name:  6-24-18.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  99.2 KB
Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Nice haul JB
Old 06-27-2018, 08:39 PM

Moco: In the back just before dead low tide. I found a nice ledge near some old pilings with some moving current out of a tidal creek. I was using light casting gear with a hammered spoon and pink teaser again. I caught six flat ones that were one inch short and one at 18 1/2, I was thigh high in the bay and while bouncing the hammered spoon nailed a good one that wouldn't move very much. I should have back off to the sand and sod bank, when I saw the fish I realized my folly, as the large flat one circled me in the salt. I took a few swipes with the plastic lip grippers. She had enough of this fool and spit the hook as the line went over her back. She took a short pause at my feet so I could get a look at " the one that got away" .

There were some bunker flopping around and today all the fish took the hammered spoon, none on the teaser.
Fish were in about six feet of water.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 PM
Senior Fellow

Great report YD. keep it up. Been wondering about the “hammered spoon” but from the picture guessing its a Hopkins?? Are you bouncing it off the bottom or a slow steady retrieve
Old 06-27-2018, 11:32 PM

Bill
I'm bouncing it off the bottom. I have a rhythm that I was taught 4o0years ago from an old Bayshore salt named Herman. He caught everything on a 3/4 ounce Hopkins with a single bucktail hook. I never forgot the lesson. I vary the speed that I turn the handle as I lift and drop the rod tip slowly. Depending on the wind and current. It takes me a few casts for me to get it where the Hopkins or hammered spoon just ticks off the bottom. If I'm around a lot of structure I use a 3/4 ounce hammered spoon. I make them from the Do It mold form, cause I don't like to loose a Hopkins shorty$$! Those shorts look so much like a peanut bunker. I also carry a small diamond file around my neck to keep the single hook sharp as it gets dull on sand, shells and debris. I bounce for the fluke and then vary the retrieve for blues, weaks and striped ones. I consider it as versatile as a bucktail. Adding a small teaser to a dropper loop adds to the fun.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:45 PM

Bill,
I used to follow old Herman around and knew his spots. I couldn't miss him in the fall and spring, standing in his waders in the water with a yellow rubber raincoat over the waders so he wouldn't get wet. It was NY telephone company issue,where he worked. Long before the expensive gear of today he caught more 30 pound plus bass with a Mitchell 300, Fenglass SP847 one piece and mono then I can dream of.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Senior Fellow

I still have my Mitchell 300. Bought it when I was 14 and it was my prize possession. Can’t part with it. It’s 57 years old but it just means too much to me. Used it on Deal Lake
Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM

I still have my 304, and my brother has his 330!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 PM

What in the world you guys talking about?

Just messin, I enjoy reading your reports & stories. I have lots to learn still. Carry on LOL
Old 06-28-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Went yesterday to RB for some fluking from the kayak...6am to 3pm...very hot and humid in afternoon.. water temps got to 74F...it started slow but the bite picked up in the afternoon during incoming tide...fish were mostly short ..3 keepers I got would not be keepers in NY...about 30 shorts with several jumbo sea robins...kept 3 to try them on the grill ...

Nice haul Zoran. Have any pics of what the Robin looked like on the grill? How'd it taste? I kept 1 for my dad a few years back & he made a fish stew with it. It was delicious, now I'll keep 1 every now & then for my wife & I to make the stew. I would like to try a different recipe next time. The white meat in that fish really is delicious. Bill, your missing out
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Yarddog, very cool.

To think, fish havent gotten smarter over the years
Old 06-29-2018, 07:38 AM

Rob,
Last week I was by the inlet in Briagantine. I think I saw your footprints in the sand!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:28 PM

Moco. Worked the back with the fly rod with no success for several hours. Went out front with the casting gear with no success there. There was a west wind in the back and then a SE wind out front, with a chest high swell that built up until an hour before sunset, then switched to the NW. Very strange indeed but very nice out.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:03 PM

I'm back from California where I got to talk to guys fishing from the Santa Cruz pier for halibut. It's a very similar fishery to our fluking except for they're fishing deeper water and catching higher in the water column. They also have huge schools of sardines in place of our bunker. Someday I might even get to fish there.
Meanwhile, I look forward to getting a chance to smell the salt and wet a line in my own home waters.
Thank you all for keeping me up to date.