Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

Wind kept the water stained down here. A little better this early am but hoping the change to W/NW later will fix it. A few random blues have made their appearance
Old 05-04-2018, 05:33 PM

Moco late morning top of the tide while out front in Killer B country. West wind knee to waist swell with the wind taking off the top of the waves as the tide was dropping. It was great few hours for casting but not for catching. Used my favorite search tool the 3/4 ounce hopkins with single buck tail and a similiar homemade hammered spoon in yellow. On the way back tossed the mag darters. Water was clean and clear. The bunker were present but didn't seem like anything was working them. Not the best time for striped ones but great to get out front.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Moco late morning top of the tide while out front in Killer B country. West wind knee to waist swell with the wind taking off the top of the waves as the tide was dropping. It was great few hours for casting but not for catching. Used my favorite search tool the 3/4 ounce hopkins with single buck tail and a similiar homemade hammered spoon in yellow. On the way back tossed the mag darters. Water was clean and clear. The bunker were present but didn't seem like anything was working them. Not the best time for striped ones but great to get out front.
Paul, at least your out there. The rest of the killer B?s are killing me with there pics , but then adding, get better soon
Old 05-04-2018, 07:15 PM

Basstard. Great to finally put a face to the name. I must add that the last fisherman who went fishing 14 straight days and nights was Capt. Ahab. And, we all know how that ended. Anyway, best of luck chasing Moby the Great White Striper.

Thanks to all for their suggestions about the wind knots. I checked the roller on the bail. It was working, but I nevertheless stripped it down, and cleaned and oiled it. I also decided to load up a spare spool with new 50 lb braid, and a 12 foot fluorocarbon leader. It will be the Heavy Artillery for those trips when I want to target monsters. I will also try the smallest swivel when I hit the water. If that doesn't fix it, I'll take up golf. Tight lines!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Paul, at least your out there. The rest of the killer B?s are killing me with there pics , but then adding, get better soon
You better get better soon, I saw princess piping plover and she has added many new loyal subjects, filling several pickup trucks with stakes and signs They were giving me bad headlights already:
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
You better get better soon, I saw princess piping plover and she has added many new loyal subjects, filling several pickup trucks with stakes and signs They were giving me bad headlights already:
We?ll be lucky if we get a few days of flukeing before they close.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Wed night - hit the beach with my neighbor who was recently bit with the fishing bug after a good bait night last week. This time tried lures, hooked up once when the bunker came thru then nothing. A friend of a friend was a couple of beaches down and had fish every cast, left them biting.
Last night -put some real effort in. Threw plugs from 1030-3am, 2 different beaches. Nottatap. Didn't see bunker. Saw 1 guy walk off with a fish out of lots of surfcasters. Last beach really pissed me off. Walked passed a group of 3 guys (same nationality as the guy who I made throw back a short striper he tried to harvest Wednesday night) who took up 150 yards of beach with 10 rods who left the beach a mess. All their glow tips were thrown in sand, fried chicken box, bread bag, bait bag, all sorts of crap. Too much for me to pickup & still be able to fish my way back towards lot. F***n aholes
Old 05-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Senior Fellow

3 days of fairly brown water with weed; one schoolie in the surf last night; with wind shift to w/nw I thought we would clean up but this morning it was still discolored; gave it about 30 min at first light; reports of a couple of random blues
Old 05-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Where'd they go? Out on the yak today with lots of company out there.
saw 1 fish caught by a guy trolling an umbrella rig. didn't mark much of anything. Couple fish here and with no takers. No bait at all. Did troll up a keeper fluke and a sea robin so I know I was trolling deep enough lol. Acres of Blues on the the surface but didn't want to eat
Old 05-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Moco 5PM to 8PM bottom of the tide to incoming in the back at two different spots. west wind small texture almost flat. No strikes. There were many worm, and bunker dunkers enjoying the day, but no fish caught or reported. Several yakers scored on the outgoing trolling large white spooks 400 yards out.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Moco 5PM to 8PM bottom of the tide to incoming in the back at two different spots. west wind small texture almost flat. No strikes. There were many worm, and bunker dunkers enjoying the day, but no fish caught or reported. Several yakers scored on the outgoing trolling large white spooks 400 yards out.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:21 PM

I remember being out in the yam for a worm hatch one year & they wouldn't touch a thing but it was end of may I think. Possible that its going on now?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Moco last night from 8pm-2am with my neighbor. Bait & plugs in the bay resulted in zero fish. Moved to way in the back on the way home & I got a real shorty to take an sp minnow. That was it & saw 1 keeper caught in the same area, supposedly the bunker was there but unreachable.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:47 PM

NOMOCO out front. 2 1/2 hours of the outgoing. Not a bump on the SP. A worm dunker reported 3 shorts from 12 to 22 inches. Cold wind out of the east.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Got a skate on the SP tonight, so no skunk for me!